DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Godfather/Supporter
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my new 6000 receiver on Friday and on set up ran into a quirky situation that made me very upset - Dish told me the receiver was bad - but I later figured out it wasn't.

When I got the receiver, I plugged it in to all connections and powered on. I get 101 and all ok.

I call and activate, replacing my 5000 receiver.

I go to the switch check out, it runs through my SW-21 3-SAT configuration and reports UNKNOWN SWITCH. Huh? That should be a common config! I do some more switch testing - sometimes it thinks I have a SW-44, and in another test it gets everything except 119 ODD.

Somehow I fumble along continuing past the bad check and get to the software download. It gives me the blinking icon, never changes color or anything - I let it run.... 60 minutes - nothing. Ok, reboot, I have to!

Comes back up ok. So I call Dish.

They tell me unplug to reset switch config - I re-run - same issue. My 5000 and 501 were fine on the same connections. I try both connections, same problems. Dish is baffled.

I run through the transponders one by one and it appears the 6000 has a weaker signal for each transponder - hmm maybe weak receiver?? I dunno - Dish says send it back - WAHHHH!!

I play with it some more later, checking the 119 ODD side that is being checked as bad... turns out 1-3-5-7-9 are all bad, no signal. I check the 501 - same thing! But it doesnt check the switch as bad!! Weird... must be software?!

So I call back later that night. Gal at tech support was pretty good and had heard of this before, so she bumps me up to advanced tech support. They know what it is....

I am still on factory software - ok, but I tried to download new software but it choked, presumably because my 119 ODD was bad? So if it is marked bad how to I get my s/w (on 119 trans 19 I believe? )???

I am told, unplug the receiver to clear the switch settings... now DONT CHECK SWITCH! When you do install 500 somehow you cancel around it and bam you get the s/w download.

This time it works, flashes good.

NOW I go an check switches - weird thing though, on the install 500 switch check it still reports UNKNOWN switch, but when I continue with the install it checks again and comes back good.

So what was the problem?

- 119 1,3,5,7,9 are for SPOT beams. Since I dont have spot beams in my area yet, the OLD s/w didnt know what to do when it didnt see a signal yet (which I presume were good transponders in earlier days). So it marked the whole ODD side bad. Newer software knows that this is a valid situation and to ignore.

Sheeeeeeeeessshhh.... wish I had known that earlier.

BTW - when I got the 6000 there was no install procedure in the manual from what I could tell - thats all in the initial dish installation documentation I believe - so I went by memory on the procedure - but I dont recall it being std procedure to download BEFORE the switch check?!

Lee

· Your Neighborhood Liasion
12,527 Posts
Thanks for the post, Lee, and I'm glad it all worked out in the end. It can definitely be an adventure getting some of these receivers up and running. Fortunately, I didn't have any troubles with my 6000 when I got it. But, that was before the spot beams and the new software, as well. Will definitely file this one away for future referral.

· Icon
955 Posts
:hi:

The short answer is that whenever you hook up a new E* rcvr go to the PD & S screen if it isn't already on (that's what you usually see 1st) and make sure you're on 119 T11. Then let it take the SW download.

Check back to see if it's done after 20-30 mins (to be on the safe side). Then do the switch test & "D500 Install."

Don't do a switch test w/o a SW download!

:cool:

· Banned
6,970 Posts
I had a wierd 6000 problem tonight.

I was watching Over the air broadcast of Fear Factor when all the sudden instead of audio from the show I heard snow or white noise. I went to a satellite channel and the sound was fine, back to OTA and more white noise. I tried every OTA channel and had the same problem. I needed to unplug the receiver to fix the problem.

I should note that I installed my 8PSK/Enhanced HDTV Tuner Cartridge earlier in the day, although this module has nothing to do with the OTA tuning features.

Wierd.

· Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
Scott, how is you 8PSK mod? Can you fill us in on the HD Discovery channel PQ vs a good OTA HD like CSI or Smart Travels?

Thanks.

· Godfather/Supporter
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have also had a number of spurious resets and lock ups (particularly on OTA locks). Got me a little worried, but then I noticed I had put my DVD player on top of the 6000 and the 6000 was very hot! Given the 8VSB has a fan on it (and was essentially blocked), I figure it must be pretty sensitive to heat!

I couldnt rearrange in my cabinet immediately so I put the DVD up on some makeshift spacers that give me about an inch of cooling space and so far so good (crossing fingers).

Lee

· Icon
708 Posts
You should never activate a receiver before running the switch test. The work around is to bypass the multi-switch, run switch test which detects no switch, power the receiver off from the front panel and wait for the download, it does not matter which sat the receiver sees. Then power on check the version, re-connect the multi-switch and re-run the switch test. Most CSR's typically advise the procedure I mentioned over the one they gave you, (should have been removed from the E* knowledge database long ago), because you can easily fry the smart card and the procedure does not always work requiring an RMA for a new receiver.

· Godfather/Supporter
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well shouldnt this "basic" procedure be included with the manual of the standalone receiver ? :)

I read the manual to make sure I went through the right process, but they dont give ANY install information in it. They defer you to the dish installation guide (which comes with complete systems). I guess they expect current owners to just know all this - which I thought I did - power on, switch check, call to activate - away you go, right?? hah

Lee

G

·
I had the same exact problem on two "new" 501s that dish sent me. Once they took the current software rev off the birf they were fine, but I was freaking out because I thought they were busted.

· Icon
708 Posts
The older installation (black book) stated these instructions quite clearly. The newer manual is quite nebulous about installation. I am assuming E* thinks every new sub will have an installer perform the installation.

Sorta like the 1960's owners manuals for a GE refrigerator I came across not long ago. Women in her aprin wearing pearls with sparkles coming from her eyes while waiving her hand at her new beloved appliance. It even had a "crisper". Next time remember to wear your pearls and wave your hand towards the receiver and smile as though it was your girlfirend. Magically you will have ice cubes and your receiver will work right out of the box... :lol:

...or was that your receiver would make ice cubes and you can watch TV with the frig door open... I always get confused.. :lol: :lol:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.