DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
AllStar
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening everyone,

My HR20 has finely given up the ghost (code 14-929). I've had this unit since I purchased my service some 5+ years ago, so I figured it's time for an upgrade. My install included the HR20 and 3 D-11's (Standard Def) for the kids rooms.

Only a few things have changed since then - the TV connected to the HR20 has been upgraded form a 720i to a 1080p, and it's connected through a Yamaha Surround Sound system. One bedroom now has an HDTV (the other two are still SD's).

First question - what do you think are the best options available to me now through DirecTV? Multi-room viewing might be cool, but since I only have HD in one other room I'm not exactly sure it's worth the extra $$$. I looked on their site, but it's so easy just to go nuts ordering equipment - probably not the most cost effective way, or the way to get the most bang for the buck.

2nd Question - for the setup you are suggesting, what extra equipment might be required to make it all work? All I have right now is the dish, the coax splitter (in the basement of course), the HR20 and three H11's. I have my HR20 connected directly to my cable router via Ethernet. I've seen comments about CCK's, DECA's, etc - and I'd like to know what I need so I can weight my cost / return options before making a selection.

Third question - what do you think is a reasonable deal for the setup your suggesting? I do understand the axiom "you get what you negotiate" but I also like to have some reasonable expectations.

Thanks in advance for your help. I like being an educated and informed consumer, and DVSTalk has been a wonderful resource of information and help in the past.

- Jim -

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
To get whole home, you have to have one HD DVR and one HD receiver/DVR. That requires SWM, which will require the other D11s to be swapped out for D12s. Even then they won't work on whole home, but that's required for them to work with SWM.

They can't guarantee what you'll get, could be anything from an HR20-24. If you were able to get a good price on an HR34, that is guaranteed.

Myself, I'd try for that and upgrade the D11 on the other HDTV to an HD receiver with whole home. If they offer a price that is acceptable of course. This would trigger a two year contract and of course $3 per month.

They would require a CCK, the hr34 doesn't need a DECA. The receiver may or may not.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
I would probably upgrade all my receivers to HD (even though they are connected to SD televisions). That way they can share in whole-home, and are there if/when those tv's are upgraded. Of course, up-front cost is the downside. They will probably be $99 each.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
badhabit2112 said:
Probably a stupid question, but is there a way for me to purchase an HR34 direct from a reseller so I don't get locked into a 2 year contract? How might I go about finding one?
I don't believe you can get one from any outside resellers, but I believe someone here has said that it is possible to purchase one directly from DirecTV. I think you have to talk directly to the Access Card Department, and the cost is up around $700-800, but then it will not require a new 2 year agreement.

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Regardless of where you obtain an HR34 (or HR2x series), they are all leased and will have a 2 year service commitment.

There are a very rare few used, owned, HR2x units around that can be acquired without the commitment. If you think you are getting an owned unit, before paying get the receiver ID number (RID) and call the access card department at DirecTV and verify that the unit can be activated as owned.

Anything purchased from a 3rd party vendor, such as Solid Signal, will be leased.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,588 Posts
carl6 said:
Regardless of where you obtain an HR34 (or HR2x series), they are all leased and will have a 2 year service commitment.
Are you sure about this? I thought some of the CSRs on here have acknowledged that you can buy one directly from DirecTV but that is pretty much the only way. You can't get them through employees, or any of the other ways you used to be able to get the other receiver (I don't think you can get any owned receivers from employees anymore).

·
Hall Of Fame
7,058 Posts
badhabit2112 said:
Probably a stupid question, but is there a way for me to purchase an HR34 direct from a reseller so I don't get locked into a 2 year contract? How might I go about finding one?
A hefty price tag of upwards of $700 and you might be able to purchase one from Directv...

·
Super Moderator
12,874 Posts
Beerstalker said:
Are you sure about this? I thought some of the CSRs on here have acknowledged that you can buy one directly from DirecTV but that is pretty much the only way.
No, not sure about that. It might be possible. But it would sure be expensive. You would be better off paying the lease price and the early termination fee even if you cancelled the next day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.