DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have my old dish mounted to a 4x4 post in my yard. I had an installer come out to set me up with the HD dish and he claimed the new dish couldn't be mounted on this post, something about it's too big. Is that true? I sent him home anyway (he was supposed to show up between 1-4pm, and the dude shows up at 8pm and it is pitch dark out). I haven't seen the newer dish so I don't know if I should believe him.

·
Éminence grise
8,473 Posts
It is bigger, about 25 x 30 in., and very sturdy, which results in additional weight. It might work on a 4x4, but you wouldn't be able to use the monopoles to provide additional stability. A 2 in. steel pole might be better.

·
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
more sturdy than a cemented 4x4 wood post? I don't understand how a 2" steel post would be better? and I'm not sure what you mean by monopoles? can you refer me to a picture?

·
Icon
832 Posts
Think braces or outriggers and you'll get the idea....the whole idea that a triangle is geometrically stronger than a single pole. My dish has to be mounted on the house and therefore the monopoles are pretty much required. If I could get a clear view of the sky on a single ground pole then I'd not have to worry about additional support. I think the point is that between the dish weight and size that the single pole isn't sturdy enough to keep the dish from moving.

·
Registered
12,590 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
5,580 Posts
A 4x4 wood post is subject to shrinking and swelling with changes in moisture content. An 18" dish would probably be ok with a little movement a dish looking at 5 satellites can't be very forgiving so a pole would be better than a wood post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.