DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

· Icon
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK lets start at the beginning. First of all, just because DIRECTV has a new satelitte up and running does NOT mean they have every channel in the world available to us.
First off DirectV has to do carriage issue. Then they have to wait for the Broadcasting company to make the channel available to be viewed.
Are there HD channels out there that everyone wants? Yes, but DirectV has to plan and act on facets for this to happen.
With patience and understanding the channels will come on line for us, the customer, to view in all there HD glory.
I here alot of you wanting FOXNEWS, HALLMARK, HBO's and other channels, when you say you know they have them in HD.
What was the annoucenment on FOX NEWS the other day? After the conventions when they go back to there Washington and New York offices they will truly be ready for there actual HD channels to be available.
So we do need to have a little bit of patience and understanding for at least once in our lives.
Second, there are probably a lot of you on here that would like your local's in HD.
Do you really know if DirectV is trying to get them? Or is the carriage company giving them the run around? The carriage companies do not have to offer any programing in HD. Only in a digital format of some kind.
We should also rememeber that they still, the carriage companies have (5) more months before they even have to send a Digital picture.

· Godfather
264 Posts
Dave said:
OK lets start at the beginning. First of all, just because DIRECTV has a new satelitte up and running does NOT mean they have every channel in the world available to us.
First off DirectV has to do carriage issue. Then they have to wait for the Broadcasting company to make the channel available to be viewed.
Are there HD channels out there that everyone wants? Yes, but DirectV has to plan and act on facets for this to happen.
With patience and understanding the channels will come on line for us, the customer, to view in all there HD glory.
I here alot of you wanting FOXNEWS, HALLMARK, HBO's and other channels, when you say you know they have them in HD.
What was the annoucenment on FOX NEWS the other day? After the conventions when they go back to there Washington and New York offices they will truly be ready for there actual HD channels to be available.
So we do need to have a little bit of patience and understanding for at least once in our lives.
Second, there are probably a lot of you on here that would like your local's in HD.
Do you really know if DirectV is trying to get them? Or is the carriage company giving them the run around? The carriage companies do not have to offer any programing in HD. Only in a digital format of some kind.
We should also rememeber that they still, the carriage companies have (5) more months before they even have to send a Digital picture.
WELL SAID!

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,481 Posts
All 26 of the HBO and Cinemax channels have been available in HD since June. DIRECTV carries four?

If you're trying to make the point that the channel needs to be available, you should avoid mentioning HBO and/or Cinemax.

What have they been doing in the five months that it took to get D11 up and running? Adding a whole four national HD channels, that's what.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Dave said:
The "carriage company?" I've never heard the term.

The digital changeover referrs only to over-the-air broadcast stations, not cable or satellite channels.

155 Posts
harsh said:
What have they been doing in the five months that it took to get D11 up and running? Adding a whole four national HD channels, that's what.
Clearly you have been "misguided." You have 30 HD PPV choices now. Why aren't you happy? How could they have known that they would be launching a satellite that would eventually need more HD carriages to broadcast?

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/08/comcast-strikes.html

If negotiations are their issue they have made some bad business decisions somewhere.

Also, I'll say it for you(not you, but the apologist) . "If you're not happy why don't you just enjoy cable, and see how much you get there." ... "Why don't you just leave?" ... "how much HD do you expect*" ... etc ... etc ... etc ... par for the coarse around here.

I think if things continue the way they have been with both Dish Cable and Fios catching up in channel counts (and some ahead with equipment) it won't be long and we'll be all be talking about the DIRECTV that WAS, before Malone.

· Hall Of Fame
1,438 Posts
I think it comes down to agreements. I'm sure DirecTV will get the vast majority of mainstream HD channels, but they made their agreements for them to start in, or after Sept. The recent additions were more for PR purposes than anything else. DirecTV wants to remain the PR HD champion. Yes, on apples for apples comparisons, they do have more HD channels, but with Dish and FiOS nipping at their heels, DirecTV didn't want to wait until Sept. to up their channel count.

· Hall Of Fame
2,755 Posts
justlgi said:
Clearly you have been "misguided." You have 30 HD PPV choices now. Why aren't you happy? How could they have known that they would be launching a satellite that would eventually need more HD carriages to broadcast?

http://blog.wired.com/business/2008/08/comcast-strikes.html

If negotiations are their issue they have made some bad business decisions somewhere.

Also, I'll say it for you(not you, but the apologist) . "If you're not happy why don't you just enjoy cable, and see how much you get there." ... "Why don't you just leave?" ... "how much HD do you expect*" ... etc ... etc ... etc ... par for the coarse around here.

I think if things continue the way they have been with both Dish Cable and Fios catching up in channel counts (and some ahead with equipment) it won't be long and we'll be all be talking about the DIRECTV that WAS, before Malone.
He can't leave Directv, he's a Dish Network subscriber. You seem to be really unhappy with Directv.

· Mentor
38 Posts
After taking the plunge and upgrading to HD back in March, I can understand folks becoming impatient when it comes to channels they watch that aren't available to them in HD. I watch FOXNEWS and can't wait for the HD version.

On a side note, this is my first or second post, and I mean no disrespect, but is it really necessary to "reply with quote" when your post is on the same page as the original post? Especially when your response is as simple as, "Well said."

· Hall Of Fame
4,787 Posts
Don't know if you can see it with an HDTV but I have a SDTV and I am receiving alot of "Downrezzed" HD channels.The colors in the picture are deeper and the faces have a little more definition.So I would agree that the Start date in the contract to carry has just not arrived yet.;)

· Godfather
335 Posts
man_rob said:
I think it comes down to agreements. I'm sure DirecTV will get the vast majority of mainstream HD channels, but they made their agreements for them to start in, or after Sept. The recent additions were more for PR purposes than anything else. DirecTV wants to remain the PR HD champion. Yes, on apples for apples comparisons, they do have more HD channels, but with Dish and FiOS nipping at their heels, DirecTV didn't want to wait until Sept. to up their channel count.
Chiller was suppose to be in HD from the time it was introduced some three years ago. What would stop it from being added?

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Doerner said:
After taking the plunge and upgrading to HD back in March, I can understand folks becoming impatient when it comes to channels they watch that aren't available to them in HD. I watch FOXNEWS and can't wait for the HD version.

On a side note, this is my first or second post, and I mean no disrespect, but is it really necessary to "reply with quote" when your post is on the same page as the original post? Especially when your response is as simple as, "Well said."
Especially if your response is "Well said," a quote is important. Otherwise people will think you are replying to the post immediately prior to yours whether you are or not.

By the way, have you been welcomed to the forum?:balloons: :icon_band :biggthump

· Hall Of Fame
1,333 Posts
justlgi said:
How is DirecTV behind when the stated date for new channels is and has been next month? What percentage of HD subscribers (not just DBSTalk posters) do you think are frustrated with DirecTV being behind in some way? Holding up Dish or FIOS as a gold standard is a fallacy. Dish is losing picture quality with each new channel they add. And FIOS is still struggling with the number of HD channels you can watch (or record) simultaneously in a household.

A year ago, there was a lot to complain about. DirecTV's subscribers had waited too long for more HD. Granted, DirecTV had said end-of-year 2007 for a long time. It wasn't unexpected, just a long wait. Then D10 lit up and brought dozens of channels. In the spring, they said new channels would be available from D11 in September 2008. They haven't missed that date.

You get two choices with companies dealing with public announcements. Some companies post speculative information and miss, frequently. Some companies post information during or after the event. DirecTV posts information as late as possible and makes statements as pessimistic as possible. D11, they said, will start delivering new channels in September 2008.

It seems under Malone they have been a little more conservative in statements. They were already fairly conservative. This is a responsible business practice meant to keep them out of shareholder issues.

155 Posts
joed32 said:
He can't leave Directv, he's a Dish Network subscriber. You seem to be really unhappy with Directv.
Unhappy is a relative term. The DVR is only above Comcast's by the thinnest of margins, although I would say that's only speaking about the UI, I've never heard of a Comcast DVR missing or recording blank on such a regular basis. (granted it gotten better, but it was really crappy for a while) Do they have more HD? At the moment yes. Does it matter? No, because I'm in a contract at the moment.

The main rub is the DIRECTV butt kissing here every day. I've said it before. If DIRECTV had added "watching grass grow HD" the same people would be praising them and saying how they couldn't wait for the next roll out of "watching paint dry HD". It happens in the HD threads, the DVR issues threads ... the where the heck is the PBS that was announced a year ago threads ... excuses excuses excuses. :rolleyes:

155 Posts
gregjones said:
How is DirecTV behind when the stated date for new channels is and has been next month? What percentage of HD subscribers (not just DBSTalk posters) do you think are frustrated with DirecTV being behind in some way? Holding up Dish or FIOS as a gold standard is a fallacy. Dish is losing picture quality with each new channel they add. And FIOS is still struggling with the number of HD channels you can watch (or record) simultaneously in a household.

A year ago, there was a lot to complain about. DirecTV's subscribers had waited too long for more HD. Granted, DirecTV had said end-of-year 2007 for a long time. It wasn't unexpected, just a long wait. Then D10 lit up and brought dozens of channels. In the spring, they said new channels would be available from D11 in September 2008. They haven't missed that date.

You get two choices with companies dealing with public announcements. Some companies post speculative information and miss, frequently. Some companies post information during or after the event. DirecTV posts information as late as possible and makes statements as pessimistic as possible. D11, they said, will start delivering new channels in September 2008.

It seems under Malone they have been a little more conservative in statements. They were already fairly conservative. This is a responsible business practice meant to keep them out of shareholder issues.
I said "catching up" hardly "gold standard" lets not act as if DIRECTV is either.

The most recent announcement said to me "here are some HDPPV so that we can inflate our numbers." Then they confirmed just that (see link in my post above) Sure they said by the end of September originally, then we had this release and they added the channels. Can you show me why I should expect any more than what was just added?

· Hall Of Fame
1,513 Posts
justlgi said:
Unhappy is a relative term. The DVR is only above Comcast's by the thinnest of margins, although I would say that's only speaking about the UI, I've never heard of a Comcast DVR missing or recording blank on such a regular basis. (granted it gotten better, but it was really crappy for a while) Do they have more HD? At the moment yes. Does it matter? No, because I'm in a contract at the moment.

The main rub is the DIRECTV butt kissing here every day. I've said it before. If DIRECTV had added "watching grass grow HD" the same people would be praising them and saying how they couldn't wait for the next roll out of "watching paint dry HD". It happens in the HD threads, the DVR issues threads ... the where the heck is the PBS that was announced a year ago threads ... excuses excuses excuses. :rolleyes:
Yes, Let's get back to the Charlie butt kissing.:hurah:

· Hall Of Fame
1,513 Posts
justlgi said:
I said "catching up" hardly "gold standard" lets not act as if DIRECTV is either.

The most recent announcement said to me "here are some HDPPV so that we can inflate our numbers." Then they confirmed just that (see link in my post above) Sure they said by the end of September originally, then we had this release and they added the channels. Can you show me why I should expect any more than what was just added?
Unlike how DISH is inflating theirs by adding HDVOD to their count.:sure:

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.