DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
5,915 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was watching the olympics tonight and saw a commerical of Comcast bashing Directv.

Comcast is claiming to have the most HD of any carrier! (while poking fun directly at directv). Directv only has 95 while they have over 500! Wow amazing, where do I signup?

Well if you look in the very blurry fine print it says that they are counting VOD for themselves :rolleyes:

Its sad they do this, cause many after seeing that I am sure will believe comcast does indeed have more HD channels :(

· Registered
1,791 Posts
I saw that too. I was amazed when the "500" flashed on the screen!!!
They are saying that "at any given time" they have more HD available than anyone.
When I was in college, studying journalism, I HATED the fact that advertising was in the same school. This **** is why....

· Lifetime Achiever
10,464 Posts
"You might think DirecTV has more HD than Comcast but you're WRONG!" :lol:

and FWIW... here's the fine print....

"Comparisons of HD channel lineup and HD programming On Demand as of 8/1/2008."

"Based on comparison of HD channel lineup and HD programming available from Comcast On Demand in Comcast cable systems."

"Comparison includes HD channel lineup and HD programming available from Comcast On Demand. Choices and availability may vary by market. Call Comast for full details and restrictions."

· AllStar
59 Posts
I thought about calling Comcast to ask about this to sign up for 500 channels of HD, but its probably not worth the effort. It all reminds me of three years ago, when I had to have Comcast for 2 months -- my cable went out for 2 weeks, and I was told it was because there had been a big storm somewhere. Apparently the CSR didn't see the irony in this...

Didn't Comcast sue D* because of last year's "better looking" HD campain? I hope that D* returns the favor.

· Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
So, comcast has gone back to the old 500 HD channel by end of 2008 game-plan, eh? Silly. To be honest though, I really don't see how this is different than DirecTV claiming that their HD PPV feeds are 'channels'. How is an HD VOD feed different from an HD PPV feed? Neither are what I would consider a channel.

· AllStar
53 Posts
I bought a Chicago Sun-Times the other day and there was a big sticker on the front page that said "Comcast: Most HD -- More than satellite -- More than anybody!"

Now I see how they come to this conclusion, counting HD VOD. Ridiculous!

· Mentor
593 Posts
AirRocker said:
"Comparison includes HD channel lineup and HD programming available from Comcast On Demand. Choices and availability may vary by market. Call Comast for full details and restrictions."
That line speaks volumes. In our little corner of the world, Comcast took over cable service in our city in March. As of today, Comcast offers no national HD channels in any package. Local reps (take their word for what you will) have said they don't know of any plans to begin offering any, either. Needless to say, that was the key factor in us jumping to satellite service.

· Registered
7,910 Posts
It's sad and it's the cause of all these HD count pissing contests we're seeing these days. They've ALL (DirecTV, DISH, Comcast, TWX, FIOS, etc) stretched the truth at one point or another in their counts, and every time it just causes the competitor to artificially pump up their number too. Pretty soon they're going to start counting the number of hours of HD programming offered per week. :nono2: What ever happened to truth in advertising?

· Registered
7,910 Posts
reggie said:
I guess that is what the disclaimer is for. At least with HD, we can finally read it.
I guess... but disclaimers piss me off because they basically let you say anything in big bold type and then disclaim it. Like if I were an automaker I could say:

The new 2009 Gas-o-lean LX gets 115 MPG*

* as long as you're an avid hyper-miler, over inflate your tires, install an aftermarket hybrid system and enjoy driving at speeds averaging 18 MPH.

· Hall Of Fame
6,035 Posts
Another commercial by Comcrap to mislead the public. There are even 125 HD national networks available. Too bad the public doesn't see through all of that small print.

D* should do a print ad or TV commercial listing the national HD channels they offer in HD (not including the PPV and RSNs). Then list the actual national HD networks that most cable companies carry. Put them side by side. The numbers will tell the story. Don't include On Demand stuff.

· Hall Of Fame
12,954 Posts
The saddest part is that it will be shortlived. More and more HD On Demand is showing up on DirecTV as well.

There are PPV movies, the Olympics are in HD. Showtime has started its series in HD (only a matter of time for movies), the 101 stuff is in HD. Smithsonian is in HD.

The one thing Comcast has that DirecTV doesn't (yet?) are free HD movies that are not tied to premium channels. Someday....

· Lifetime Achiever
28,927 Posts
AirRocker said:
I just saw this commercial for the first time and laughed my a$$ off... :lol:

500 HD Channels??!?? WOW! :eek2:

Could that be any more misleading??? :nono2:
Actually, if you watch closely, it's 500 Programs to DIRECTV's 95 Channels (which I believe is actually higher now :)) .. It is comparing apples to oranges .. A more interesting number MIGHT be to take that same day (not just 7:12pm) and count up the number of different programs that are available in HD including VOD (which Comcast does) .. what if you add a second day? A third? .. you get the point. You're stuck with the same ol' VOD from Comcast while DIRECTV delivers new content from more providers

· Icon
1,306 Posts
Grentz said:
So I was watching the olympics tonight and saw a commerical of Comcast bashing Directv.

Comcast is claiming to have the most HD of any carrier! (while poking fun directly at directv). Directv only has 95 while they have over 500! Wow amazing, where do I signup?

Well if you look in the very blurry fine print it says that they are counting VOD for themselves :rolleyes:

Its sad they do this, cause many after seeing that I am sure will believe comcast does indeed have more HD channels :(
Given the current 'intelligence' of the typical American Consumer Class, I would hazard a guess as to better than 90% will fall for this deception of counting 5min VOD music videos as a 'choice'.

Of course, the current level of the so-called 'reporting class', like the press release echo chambers like 'Phillip Swans' TVPredictions.com, that regurgitates the deceptions, yielding just as many 'hits' on search engines as does the 'original' 'press' releases.

Like any business that's the target of such low 'swift boat' tactics, their only recourse is to hit back fast. Don't expect the 'consumer class' to properly do their homework, or to see through the deception(s). The weed seeds are planted, they will grow profusely, if one doesn't have a weed killer quickly at hand. You may not see how those false weeds choke out the truth, but the lies spread by the 'process' will eventually hurt your business.

Don't expect much if any help from the 'real' news professionals. Their voices are drowned out by the 'echo chamber' (like 'TVPredictions'). Your advertising firm had better be quick on their toes.

· Hall Of Fame
2,784 Posts
jpl said:
To be honest though, I really don't see how this is different than DirecTV claiming that their HD PPV feeds are 'channels'. How is an HD VOD feed different from an HD PPV feed? Neither are what I would consider a channel.
There is no difference. Its comical watching the "outrage" about Comcast doing this when D* did the exact same thing last week with 18 of its new HD channels being nothing more than PPV.

· Hall of Fame
1,026 Posts
raott said:
There is no difference. Its comical watching the "outrage" about Comcast doing this when D* did the exact same thing last week with 18 of its new HD channels being nothing more than PPV.
there were some national channels as well

I wish D* had kept the high ground, but it was clearly in reaction to Comcrap, and E* doing it first.

I feel sorrow for the folks that fall for this kind of marketing
all the more reason why we all need to be educated consumers today

D* is clearly the leader

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.