DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,957 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new computer for school (Toshiba Portege Z935-P300). It has an SSD, not mechanical drive at all. I take it I don't want to install ANY disk defragmentation software right? What about TRIM? How do I go about dealing with that? It's running Windows 7

·
Hall Of Fame
1,523 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
I just got a new computer for school (Toshiba Portege Z935-P300). It has an SSD, not mechanical drive at all. I take it I don't want to install ANY disk defragmentation software right? What about TRIM? How do I go about dealing with that? It's running Windows 7
If you are running Windows 7 or newer, there is nothing you need to do other than make sure your system is up to date. Check the firmware for your SSD drive and bios to make sure they are up to date and ensure your storage driver is up to date.

Defrag utilities are not needed at all. Windows 7 will turn off indexing and Defrag by default when it detects a SSD drive. Windows 7 also supports TRIM natively, assuming your SSD firmware has it baked in.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
I'd also make sure the system and drive has the latest firmware and such.

Also, from a command prompt, enter the command fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify (the last is run together on purpose)

You should get a result of 0. That confirms that Windows is treating it as an SSD.

·
Premium Member
11,286 Posts
kevinturcotte said:
Take a look at System Mechanic Professional. It has a SSD Accelerator tool that optimizes your SSD for maximum performence.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.