DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Mentor
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for asking a question that has probably been asked a million times. Looking through the forums all day and havent found an answer for my question.

Heard NFL Sunday Ticket will be free for new customers starting April 19th. Im ready to join.

Currently a Dish customer, with the 722 dvr. We like the box as it allows us to record two programs (rarely do we find that we need more, but it does happen) and control/record at our second tv. We would like to have complete control at the second tv.

From what I have been reading, we have three options.

Option 1: HMC at main TV and HD DVR at bedroom TV. Understand that would give us record/pause control at both TVs. $198 upfront cost

Option 2: HD DVR at both TVs. Same control at all TVs. $99 upfront cost

Option 3: Wait until Directv releases a box that would allow DVR control at second tv with the HMC (forgot what the setup is called) Cost unknown

Our bedroom does not have ethernet, and only one coax going to it. How are the boxes connected in either of the two options.

Should I go through Directv or a authorized dealer? Spoke to the dealer today and he said that he provides local support for the first year. Think that would be nice in case of problems.

How long does Directv offer the free Sunday Ticket promotion?

Please let me know what HD DVR box and connection options I should ask for when setting this up.

Thanks
Glen
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
I'd use the local installer, though obviously the install wont be free. Get SWM, uses a single coax to the boxes. Myself, i'd get one HR34 and one HR24.

At e least, make sure both are 24s. Going through the installer, that's easier to make sure of.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
433 Posts
For DTV an HR34, HR24 combination is very workable. You cannot schedule recordings on the remote box. You can view any program from a combined playlist. You can delete programs from any box. Even though the HR34 has 100 series links, (timers to you) with five tuners you can easily fill those up. A remote without recording capability cannot expand that. With another DVR like the 24 you can add an additional 50 series links and with extra hard drives you can have up to 4T of storage.
 

· Icon
Joined
·
712 Posts
Jerry_K said:
........You cannot schedule recordings on the remote box......
You can schedule recordings episodes, series, and VOD for any DVR from DirecTV.com via PC, iPhone, Android, WinPhone, iPad, Nook Tablet. Certainly not as good as direct on the remote DVR, but it works well. Best wishes!
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
433 Posts
allenn said:
You can schedule recordings episodes, series, and VOD for any DVR from DirecTV.com via PC, iPhone, Android, WinPhone, iPad, Nook Tablet. Certainly not as good as direct on the remote DVR, but it works well. Best wishes!
I cannot do that as the DVRs cannot be connected to the internet in our camper. Computers are through our cell phone. I am not willing to try to get some sort of wireless access point. No need.

We have to walk all of twenty feet to get to the other DVR.
 

· Godfather
Joined
·
279 Posts
bdmarine said:
My DVRs are not on the internet and the Android app works just fine. My guess is that the record command comes down via satellite and not internet.
I think that you are correct about that. I remember reading that somewhere, could have been DirecTV's website. I set up all of my recordings using either my iPhone or iPad. Makes it much easier than going from room to room. I wish that they could come out with some kind of collaborative scheduling.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Called Directv tonight. NFL Sunday Ticket promo is on, and I will be getting a referral credit as well. CSR talked me into the HR34 and HR24 combo. I have two weeks to call them to schedule an install. Decided to go direct to the 800 rather than local, as the local guy didn't know anything about installing the HR34 and HR24 to whole house. Maybe he didn't understand my question.

One thing the CSR couldn't answer was if the I would be able to pause, skip ahead, skip back, record on the second tv (HR24). I assume that I can, as this is the point of the DVR, correct?

Thanks
Glen
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,438 Posts
Yes, you can use trick play (pause, skip, etc) on both units.

However, if you get an HR34 and an H24 (not HR), then the H24 cannot pause, skip back, FF live TV. However it can do that on recorded shows being viewed from the HR34.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
gflande1 said:
One thing the CSR couldn't answer was if the I would be able to pause, skip ahead, skip back, record on the second tv (HR24). I assume that I can, as this is the point of the DVR, correct?

Thanks
Glen
Odd that the CSR didn't know...seems like a basic question for them to me.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
carl6 said:
Yes, you can use trick play (pause, skip, etc) on both units.

However, if you get an HR34 and an H24 (not HR), then the H24 cannot pause, skip back, FF live TV. However it can do that on recorded shows being viewed from the HR34.
Planning on getting DirecTV in May and came across your post. I was thinking of getting the HMC and 3 HD receivers. So in my case, I wouldn't be able to pause and rewind live TV in any of the rooms with the HD receiver?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,914 Posts
row25 said:
Planning on getting DirecTV in May and came across your post. I was thinking of getting the HMC and 3 HD receivers. So in my case, I wouldn't be able to pause and rewind live TV in any of the rooms with the HD receiver?
That is correct. In order to have those functions, you would have to start a recording from the HMC and then watch it on the HD receiver. Then you would have all the trick play functions like pause, rewind, FF.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
RACJ2 said:
That is correct. In order to have those functions, you would have to start a recording from the HMC and then watch it on the HD receiver. Then you would have all the trick play functions like pause, rewind, FF.
Thank you for confirming. "James", the guy who always pops-up in a chat whenever I visit the DirecTV site did say that I would be able to pause & rewind live TV on a non-dvr receiver as long as I had the HMC. Glad I've been reading up on here.

Ok, since I want to be able to pause and rewind live shows on 2 of the 4 TVs, at the least I would need two DVRs correct? Is there any reason I should get an HR34 & HR24 instead of two HR24s? It would be cheaper, and at this point, I'm not concerned about 5 vs 4 tuners. Regardless of the two DVRs I get, would they "see" each other--meaning if I record on DVR1, can I view that show on DVR2?
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
5,251 Posts
row25 said:
Ok, since I want to be able to pause and rewind live shows on 2 of the 4 TVs, at the least I would need two DVRs correct? Is there any reason I should get an HR34 & HR24 instead of two HR24s? It would be cheaper, and at this point, I'm not concerned about 5 vs 4 tuners. Regardless of the two DVRs I get, would they "see" each other--meaning if I record on DVR1, can I view that show on DVR2?
I have an all HD-DVR setup (3 HR24's and 1 HR22) and I couldn't imagine it any other way. As long as you have whole home DVR activated, you can watch any recording from any DVR on any other DVR.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,914 Posts
row25 said:
Thank you for confirming. "James", the guy who always pops-up in a chat whenever I visit the DirecTV site did say that I would be able to pause & rewind live TV on a non-dvr receiver as long as I had the HMC. Glad I've been reading up on here.

Ok, since I want to be able to pause and rewind live shows on 2 of the 4 TVs, at the least I would need two DVRs correct? Is there any reason I should get an HR34 & HR24 instead of two HR24s? It would be cheaper, and at this point, I'm not concerned about 5 vs 4 tuners. Regardless of the two DVRs I get, would they "see" each other--meaning if I record on DVR1, can I view that show on DVR2?
Yes, you would need 2 DVR's and would be able to pause and record on both DVR's and view the recordings on any DVR/receiver.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
16,178 Posts
row25 said:
Thank you for confirming. "James", the guy who always pops-up in a chat whenever I visit the DirecTV site did say that I would be able to pause & rewind live TV on a non-dvr receiver as long as I had the HMC. Glad I've been reading up on here.

Ok, since I want to be able to pause and rewind live shows on 2 of the 4 TVs, at the least I would need two DVRs correct? Is there any reason I should get an HR34 & HR24 instead of two HR24s? It would be cheaper, and at this point, I'm not concerned about 5 vs 4 tuners. Regardless of the two DVRs I get, would they "see" each other--meaning if I record on DVR1, can I view that show on DVR2?
It's slightly more complex. If you have an RVU compatible TV (Samsung), you could pause/rewind live, but it would use a tuner off the HR34.

If you got two 24s, you'd lose 3 tuners, going from 7 DVR tuners to 4.

Yes, unless you had one DVR hidden, you'd be able to watch programming stored on the other DVR.
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,914 Posts
dpeters11 said:
It's slightly more complex. If you have an RVU compatible TV (Samsung), you could pause/rewind live, but it would use a tuner off the HR34.

If you got two 24s, you'd lose 3 tuners, going from 7 DVR tuners to 4.

Yes, unless you had one DVR hidden, you'd be able to watch programming stored on the other DVR.
True and I thought about that, but since he didn't mention RVU TV, I didn't think it was worth the confusion.

I actually missed the question about the HR34. row25, I would suggested that you get the HR34, since you are probably getting it for $99. I like having 5 tuners to record programs on and here's why. On the HR24, if there are 2 programs recording and you want to watch something else, like a live sporting event, you are SOL.

With the HR34, the 2 programs (actually up to 4) can be recording in the background and you still have a tuner to watch something live. And of course you can record up to 5 programs at the same time with it. Also has twice the storage capacity (1Tb vs 500 Gb) and number of series link recording you can set up (100 vs 50) plus PIP.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
dpeters11 said:
It's slightly more complex. If you have an RVU compatible TV (Samsung), you could pause/rewind live, but it would use a tuner off the HR34.

If you got two 24s, you'd lose 3 tuners, going from 7 DVR tuners to 4.

Yes, unless you had one DVR hidden, you'd be able to watch programming stored on the other DVR.
RACJ2 said:
True and I thought about that, but since he didn't mention RVU TV, I didn't think it was worth the confusion.

I actually missed the question about the HR34. row25, I would suggested that you get the HR34, since you are probably getting it for $99. I like having 5 tuners to record programs on and here's why. On the HR24, if there are 2 programs recording and you want to watch something else, like a live sporting event, you are SOL.

With the HR34, the 2 programs (actually up to 4) can be recording in the background and you still have a tuner to watch something live. And of course you can record up to 5 programs at the same time with it. Also has twice the storage capacity (1Tb vs 500 Gb) and number of series link recording you can set up (100 vs 50) plus PIP.
Ah yes, thanks for correcting me. I meant 7 tuners vs 4. We have 2 Samsung TVs and 1 Sony--all purchased within the last 5 years or so, but I am not sure if they are RVU compatible. I will do some research.

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I will opt for an HR34, HR24, and 2 H24s. Hopefully I get good pricing on the two DVRs.
 

· Mentor
Joined
·
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
We are going to switch to the HR34 and H24 combo. We understand that we wont have control over live content on the H24, but thats not a problem as we typically only watch recorded events at that tv (our bedroom).

I have a couple more questions. Is the protection program worth it? What protection do I have if one of the leased machines craps out on me? We have the protection plan with Dish and have replaced three 722s over the years. Would we have to pay for the unit if it takes a crap assuming no fault of our own? Or is it one of those situations we would have to pay for tech support and shipping and handling only?

Anyone know when a RVU box will be coming out? Think I read somewhere there will be plans for one. Would I be able to upgrade from the H24 to the RVU box once it happens (while still in contract)? Cant imagine it would be that high of a cost.


Thanks
Glen
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top