DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been a long time dish customer, and I have a new installation for DTV set up this Saturday. I really like dish, but I just want to try DTV. I am told that I will get a HD DVR that will allow for DVR in every room, 3 HD receivers, and one standard receiver at my request. My bill will be $68.99 for one year and $99 after that is up. I was hoping you all might give me some advice as a potential new customer to get the most out of my new subscription. You are only a new customer once, and with any company that's when you get the best deals. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I have a couple of questions.

1. Will I be getting the latest receiver or do I need to request anything specific? For example with Dish you may or may not receive an OTA tuner with your receiver 722 vs 722k.

2. What is the difference between owning and leasing as far as price? With dish there is a receiver fee regardless of owned or lease after your first receiver.

3.Is the protection plan worth $6 a month? I don't keep it with Dish, and luckily I haven't needed it.

·
Super Moderator
12,881 Posts
1. DirecTV has a variety of HD DVRs and HD receiver (HR20, 21, 22, 23, 24 & H20, 21, 22, 24, 25). All are considered equivalent and you could get any of them. However, for new customer installs it is likely you will get an HR24 and 3 H25's. OTA is not an integral part, you need a separate device, the AM21, if you want/need OTA.

2. There is no difference in monthly recurring cost between owning and leasing. It is difficult (but not impossible) to get owned equipment. If you get owned from DIRECTV, the up front cost is considerably higher.

3. Leased receivers will be replaced for $20 shipping fee if you do not have the protection plan (no fee if you do have it). Owned receivers are at your own expense. The plan also covers dish alignment, cabling, etc. While rare, sometimes those types of repair are needed. As to whether or not it's worth $6 a month - only you can decide that.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
:welcome_s tlowecats

There is a limitation with the one DVR and three receivers: the DVR can only remotely stream to one receiver at a time. So if you put the DVR in the family room and the three receivers in three different bedrooms, only one bedroom receiver can watch a recorded show from DVR at a time. The other two can only watch live TV while the other one is streaming. So if your watching habits need more, now is the time to either get another DVR or the HMC DVR ... I believe you can get the HR34 for $99 right now. That is a great deal.

·
MANC
1,510 Posts
1. The HMC HR34 is the latest, an additional $99 at checkout, for new customers only at this time. No telling how much the upgrade cost will be later if you decide you need one. Then what carl6 posted, we do sometimes have refurbs that we have to use.

3. Yes, an additional $3 per work order for me TIA. :)

I will get a HD DVR that will allow for DVR in every room

Since you are a happy Dish customer you might want to research this a bit more.

You can't pause/rewind live TV on an Hx receiver but you can view recordings and pause/rewind those.

·
AllStar
80 Posts
tlowecats said:
Thanks for the replies. I think I will call and see if I can get the HR 34 for $99.
Don't take no for an answer.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They seem fairly resistant to give the HR 34. They say I must have a smart TV or I can not use
one. Is that true? If understand correctly I could still get the HR 34, but I would still need receivers in every room that does not have a smart TV. To be honest I have never heard of a smart TV, so I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding something or if I am getting the run around.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
tlowecats said:
They seem fairly resistant to give the HR 34. They say I must have a smart TV or I can not use
one. Is that true?
Not true. Go to their website, and build the system yourself. HMC for the HR34, and HD receiver for each room you dont have a smart TV in, and want tv in.

Smart TV = Samsung RVU flat screen, currently only available in a couple models, all very large. Dont worry about it. Just get the HMC and some H25's for each TV.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
tlowecats said:
one. Is that true? If understand correctly I could still get the HR 34, but I would still need receivers in every room that does not have a smart TV. To be honest I have never heard of a smart TV, so I'm not sure if I am misunderstanding something or if I am getting the run around.
Just set myself up online with an HR34. Non smart TV. The terrible DVR experience is the only reason I'm leaving TWC.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys I just got off the phone and I got it for $99. I also was able to save $16 bucks/month more in the second year, and an additional $5 in the first year. I will be saving money compared to my dish account for the next two years. The only thing I will terribly miss is the sling capabilities with my ipad. If I understand correctly I will only be able to watch recorded tv with DTV on my ipad. I really appreciate the advice, and once again this forum has served me well.

·
Godfather
433 Posts
cornelious said:
Just set myself up online with an HR34. Non smart TV. The terrible DVR experience is the only reason I'm leaving TWC.
You could have stayed with TWC if you got yourself a TiVo.

·
Geek til I die
9,821 Posts
tlowecats said:
The only thing I will terribly miss is the sling capabilities with my ipad.
I think you can buy stand-alone slingboxes that will work with DirecTv. I know several forum members use them to remotely control their DVRs from the road.

·
Cool Member
11 Posts
"Jerry_K" said:
You could have stayed with TWC if you got yourself a TiVo.
I know I may be in the minority, but I do not like the TiVo interface at all. Tried a TiVo for a week in may. Remembered why I didn't like it, and added to my already high cable bill.

·
This Space for Sale
7,466 Posts
tlowecats said:
If I understand correctly I will only be able to watch recorded tv with DTV on my ipad.
There are a couple things you can do. Slingbox, nomad and the iPad app. The nomad is a owned box you buy from directv that transcodes previously recorded shows and then copies to your iPad. One time cost of $149. You must be on your home network to download shows, but you can watch anywhere without any connectivity requirement. The iPad free app allows you to live stream a limited number of channels to your iPad. Again, you must be on your home network for this to work. And sling allows almost anything as long as you have Internet connectivity.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
trh said:
There are a couple things you can do. Slingbox, nomad and the iPad app. The nomad is a owned box you buy from directv that transcodes previously recorded shows and then copies to your iPad. One time cost of $149. You must be on your home network to download shows, but you can watch anywhere without any connectivity requirement. The iPad free app allows you to live stream a limited number of channels to your iPad. Again, you must be on your home network for this to work. And sling allows almost anything as long as you have Internet connectivity.
I will sale my sling adapter for DN and buy a stand alone sling box. It appears on ebay that I can get one for $80 to 150 buck, and that is roughly what I can get for DN adapterl

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.