DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone see the ad on TV yesterday? D* is promising 3x the number of HD channels than on cable by mid 2007. Any early betting line on whether they keep their promise? Can we sue for fraud if they don't?

·
Icon
692 Posts
Steveknj said:
Anyone see the ad on TV yesterday? D* is promising 3x the number of HD channels than on cable by mid 2007. Any early betting line on whether they keep their promise? Can we sue for fraud if they don't?
Why wait until then? They said I would have HD locals by end of 2006. It was on their website, but has been change very recently.

·
Lifetime Achiever
21,331 Posts
Keep their promise? Yup, they will. On time? That depends on how the satellite launches go. I'm hoping both go well, deploy quickly, and we get LOTS of HD. :)

And if they are a bit late, they will be ahead of cable soon enough.

Cheers,
Tom

·
Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
My cable company has NO HD.

Quite often it has no digital (blank screen.)

You'll see one type of dish or the other in 75% of the yards around here.

·
Icon
1,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
tibber said:
Keep their promise? Yup, they will. On time? That depends on how the satellite launches go. I'm hoping both go well, deploy quickly, and we get LOTS of HD. :)

And if they are a bit late, they will be ahead of cable soon enough.

Cheers,
Tom
Keeping their promise means that it WILL be on time!! They specifically said by MID 2007 (I guess MID is open to interpretation, but I would think if it's not by Sept, then it's late and they didn't keep it.

As for 3x more than cable, well that's also very general, as some cable cos have LOTS of HD (CV in my area has more than D by a wide margin right now), while others have none. So that statement is too general to backup, but in a court of law, I would take that to mean 3x more than cable (that is available to me). And I hope that in that 3x that doesn't include hundreds of local channels NOT available to me. After all, there is no way I could EVER receive NBC from Des Moine. To me, D* could have said:

And in 2007 we will be adding MANY more HD channels.

And that's a promise they could keep.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
Steveknj said:
Keeping their promise means that it WILL be on time!! They specifically said by MID 2007 (I guess MID is open to interpretation, but I would think if it's not by Sept, then it's late and they didn't keep it.

As for 3x more than cable, well that's also very general, as some cable cos have LOTS of HD (CV in my area has more than D by a wide margin right now), while others have none. So that statement is too general to backup, but in a court of law, I would take that to mean 3x more than cable (that is available to me). And I hope that in that 3x that doesn't include hundreds of local channels NOT available to me. After all, there is no way I could EVER receive NBC from Des Moine. To me, D* could have said:

And in 2007 we will be adding MANY more HD channels.

And that's a promise they could keep.
IMO - it is just too obvious that DirecTV has EVERY intention of this coming to pass. They have spent the MONEY for the birds and have build infrasturcture to handle it. That being said, it is right now 100% dependent on OTHER people and companies. First the birds have to be ready and launched on time (nothing to do with DirecTV). Next, the birds have to operate properly and get set up (again nothing to do with DirecTV). The easy part is uplinking and transmitting the signals once the above is done. And once the above is done, it is FACT that DirecTV will have much more capacity for HD than virtually any other provider that I am aware of.

It's really time for peeps to try and understand the process, where in the process we are, and WHO has to ACTUALLY perform for the process to be completed. I know its EASY just to say and to blame D* - but it makes the posts inaccurate. They have done their part (ordering and beginning to pay for the stuff), for the time being, and they ALSO are just waiting for the birds to be in the sky.

·
Banned
1,100 Posts
john18 said:
My personal belief is that if the D* PR department turned down the rhetoric a bit a lot of their problems with customer expectations would be more manageable.
nope - wouldn't change a thing, people would still be in the 'here's what they're doing wrong mode' - it's always been that way. and again, and FACTUALLY, DirecTV has done ITS SHARE for now (its awaiting the launch and hand-over of the sats). Its now OUT OF THEIR HANDS FOR THE TIME BEING.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.