Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Mentor
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone.

I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect forum for this post.

I'm about to ditch my cable and switch to DirecTV. I've looked at the current promotions and I wonder if there are any coupons that would bring the cost down a little more? Maybe a referral code?

Thanks so much for your help.

David

·
Premium Member
11,287 Posts
stevetanneyhill said:
Hi Everyone.

I apologize in advance if this is the incorrect forum for this post.

I'm about to ditch my cable and switch to DirecTV. I've looked at the current promotions and I wonder if there are any coupons that would bring the cost down a little more? Maybe a referral code?

Thanks so much for your help.

David
If someone you you know is a DirecTV customer then the two of you can take advantage of their "Customer Referral Program". You both will receive $100.00 in bill credits.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,434 Posts
The new promotions started yesterday and continue through February 9th 2011.

WYSIWYG.

If you go the referral route, don't forget that you have to apply for the bill credits just the right way; they don't come automatically.

The DIRECTV website has the details of the current offer and referrals.

·
Hall Of Fame
16,344 Posts
The referral info is at www.directv.com/refer

There are also some bundling deals with phone companies, AAA has a discount etc. Some (like the referral or AAA) require signing up with a special web page or special phone number, so be careful. Keep in mind the referral discount is spread out, $10 a month and can take a few months to show up.

·
Cool Member
27 Posts
camattin said:
If you're a costco member, start your order from this page:

http://cw.directv.com/DTVAPP/index.jsp?CMP=LEC-Costco-1000

and you'll get a $180 costco cash card a few weeks after you sign up. $80 more than the refer-a-friend. The costco site's splash page indicates that this offer expired 10/6, but the directv.com page says it's now good through 2/9/11.
Anyone go this route and already have your Costco cash card? I signed up this way last week and just thought it was strange that there was no mention of the promotion during the order process or on the confirmation. It did show the Costco banner at the top of the page and I printed everything out but wasn't sure how this deal gets fulfilled. I assume it is mailed automatically by DirecTV?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,285 Posts
stevetanneyhill said:
Is it possible to get the Costco card AND also do the Refer a Friend?
yes those can be stacked. The easiest way to stack them is via the website.

Basically you fill your cart at the Costco website listed in the above post. Then before you check out, in the same web browser, go to the Direct TV referral site, also listed above. Fill in your referral account number and click Get Direct TV now. It should take you back to your cart from the Costco page and then you can see your discount and check out from there.

·
Legend
162 Posts
getting a referral code is no problem, plenty of people are willing to share and you can just google for it and find someone willing to share right on the internet. i was lucky and my father in law has direct tv so its a win win for both of us.

·
AllStar
53 Posts
12th Man said:
Anyone go this route and already have your Costco cash card? I signed up this way last week and just thought it was strange that there was no mention of the promotion during the order process or on the confirmation. It did show the Costco banner at the top of the page and I printed everything out but wasn't sure how this deal gets fulfilled. I assume it is mailed automatically by DirecTV?
I got mine about 3 or 4 weeks after the install. Agreed that it was odd to see nothing mentioned of it anywhere. I wasn't going to panic until the 8 week window had closed.

The $180 gift card was exactly the right amount (except for sales tax) to get the DSi for Christmas for my daughter. :)

·
AllStar
66 Posts
12th Man said:
I signed up this past weekend and also found it strange that there was no mention of the Costco rebate cash card through the process, although like you, I did notice the Costco banners at the top of most screens. I called the Costco.com/rebate number this morning and asked about this. They indicated that almost immediately following the install, they (Costco) are notified by DirecTV that the install and activation took place. Sometime after that we would receive something in the mail. What was not clear was whether it is the $180 Costco card that is received, or just the paperwork to apply for the rebate. Either way, it sounds like we are in good shape. :)

·
Icon
677 Posts
Thanks to this thread I was able to get my brother to sign-up for D* service and he was successful in stacking the refer-a-friend & Costco promotions. We are all stoked! $380 in our pockets is a big deal, especially in this economy.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,285 Posts
texasmoose said:
Thanks to this thread I was able to get my brother to sign-up for D* service and he was successful in stacking the refer-a-friend & Costco promotions. We are all stoked! $380 in our pockets is a big deal, especially in this economy.
:icon_da:

·
Legend
162 Posts
question on this, I have an install scheduled for Saturday, but I'm thinking of cancelling as Uverse has offered me a decent promotion. if I cancel and then order through costco in a month or so, can I get this deal? and can I order service for myself through the costco site on my father in laws membership number? he goes to costco and we really don't so I'd rather not spend 50 on a membership if I can help it.

EDIT: and if you go through costco, its still like ordering through directv right? IE commitment starts once they install it, you can reschedule like the directv CSR said until they have the H24 that you want for the install?

·
Hall Of Fame
3,905 Posts
robl45 said:
question on this, I have an install scheduled for Saturday, but I'm thinking of cancelling as Uverse has offered me a decent promotion. if I cancel and then order through costco in a month or so, can I get this deal? and can I order service for myself through the costco site on my father in laws membership number? he goes to costco and we really don't so I'd rather not spend 50 on a membership if I can help it.

EDIT: and if you go through costco, its still like ordering through directv right? IE commitment starts once they install it, you can reschedule like the directv CSR said until they have the H24 that you want for the install?
I'm a Costco member and that deal shows to be available through 2/9/11 [link]. I don't think you will be able to use your in-laws card, unless you put the service in his name. That could cause a problem when they do a credit check in his name and they use your address. Even it works, you would then have to sell the Costco cash card to your in-laws. To me its worth $50 to net $130 in savings. Plus have access to Costco.

·
Legend
162 Posts
thats what i kinda figured, didn't know if it was a thing where you put in your costco membership number and then go to directv site where you fill in whatever you want.

but the real issue is if I cancel with directv now, will I be eligible to do the costco deal.

RACJ2 said:
I'm a Costco member and that deal shows to be available through 2/9/11 [link]. I don't think you will be able to use your in-laws card, unless you put the service in his name. That could cause a problem when they do a credit check in his name and they use your address. Even it works, you would then have to sell the Costco cash card to your in-laws. To me its worth $50 to net $130 in savings. Plus have access to Costco.

·
Hall Of Fame
3,905 Posts
robl45 said:
thats what i kinda figured, didn't know if it was a thing where you put in your costco membership number and then go to directv site where you fill in whatever you want.

but the real issue is if I cancel with directv now, will I be eligible to do the costco deal.
I signed up through AAA for my install, since at the time it was $10/mo discount for 24 mo's (I paid $50 to sign up with AAA to net $190 savings). So I'm not sure how the DIRECTV offer works. Although I have tried the travel service and they definitely ask for you card number. You can call the special number (800-372-0199) and ask them what is required.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.