DBSTalk Forum banner

New DIRECTV customer...install today?

2K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  linuspbmo 
#1 ·
We signed up for DIRECTV online over the weekend and are/were scheduled for install today. When I check our D*TV account online now we're no longer showing any pending orders. If I click on "All orders" it shows the order that was pending, only now under order status it shows "Tuesday, September 18, 2012 (8AM to Noon) - Call 1-888-355-7530 to schedule".

Does anyone know if we should still get the install today? Should I call to check? Thanks!

#3 ·
I called the 888-355-7530 number and she confirmed our install for today! In fact, she must have also sent it on to their overseas call center b/c someone with a thick accent then called both my wife at home and me at work to let us know they talked to the install company (Protech Deployment?), who will call us back with a more definite time.

Now I just hope the rain here in PA today doesn't affect the install!

#4 ·
dj.w.1234 said:
I called the 888-355-7530 number and she confirmed our install for today! In fact, she must have also sent it on to their overseas call center b/c someone with a thick accent then called both my wife at home and me at work to let us know they talked to the install company (Protech Deployment?), who will call us back with a more definite time.

Now I just hope the rain here in PA today doesn't affect the install!
I had a sub contractor too. Super professional too. I get a bit worried when it comes to sub contractors but this guy was awesome. Good luck.

#5 ·
Well, ended up with not-so-good luck. The sub called at 11:30 and said he'd be there in 20 minutes. 1:05 he finally shows up and tells us he can't do the install because of the rain. I explained that if he'd been there in the original window there would have been plenty of time to get things done before the storm hit.

I showed him where we wanted things setup and b/c we wanted the dish on our balcony (out of the rain with plenty of cover) he said he'd check the signal. Apparently the signal wasn't strong enough so he felt a roof install would be better. No problem, except he didn't have the right size ladder!

He called for the right size ladder, handed me the phone, someone on the other end said the taller ladder couldn't be used in the current weather conditions. Now he's coming back tomorrow AM (he says) and hopefully we'll get the install done.

Note that the tech never once gave us his name, card, phone number, etc. I DID call Directv to let them know and got the "On-time" credit of $50. They also made sure to add me to the official truck-roll schedule for tomorrow morning, so that's a plus.

#6 ·
dj.w.1234 said:
Well, ended up with not-so-good luck. The sub called at 11:30 and said he'd be there in 20 minutes. 1:05 he finally shows up and tells us he can't do the install because of the rain. I explained that if he'd been there in the original window there would have been plenty of time to get things done before the storm hit.

I showed him where we wanted things setup and b/c we wanted the dish on our balcony (out of the rain with plenty of cover) he said he'd check the signal. Apparently the signal wasn't strong enough so he felt a roof install would be better. No problem, except he didn't have the right size ladder!

He called for the right size ladder, handed me the phone, someone on the other end said the taller ladder couldn't be used in the current weather conditions. Now he's coming back tomorrow AM (he says) and hopefully we'll get the install done.

Note that the tech never once gave us his name, card, phone number, etc. I DID call Directv to let them know and got the "On-time" credit of $50. They also made sure to add me to the official truck-roll schedule for tomorrow morning, so that's a plus.
Ouch. That sucks. Seems weird he wouldn't have a proper ladder considering they mout the dish on roofs. :confused: Maybe you'll get a better installer tomorrow. My installer did everything yours didn't besides the card which isn't a big deal. Better luck tomorrow then!

#7 ·
mrro82 said:
Ouch. That sucks. Seems weird he wouldn't have a proper ladder considering they mout the dish on roofs. :confused: Maybe you'll get a better installer tomorrow. My installer did everything yours didn't besides the card which isn't a big deal. Better luck tomorrow then!
DirecTV never had a long enough ladder to reach my dish. I have given up on getting service through DirecTV, and always call an independant contractor. It costs me about $100 per visit, but it is worth it.

I have only had to have a service twice since the original install in 1999 - once to convert from SD to HD and once to realign the dish after I had my roof replaced. The original install, the conversion to HD, and realigning the dish all had to be done by an independant contractor because the DirecTV installer said that I did not have LOS to the satellite(s). Since the most recent alignment (about 2 years ago), the signals on 99 and 103 are in the mid 90s and on the 101 are in the high 90s, with six or more transponders at 100.

#8 ·
dj.w.1234 said:

Any update?

#9 ·
I had an upgrade install last month and the tech did not give us anything with his name either. I asked him what his number was and he said he wasn't allowed to give it out, new company policy. I thought that was funny since I had heard an tech would get charged if someone called Directv about a problem with the install. I didn't have any problems and he hinted that I could check the caller ID from when he called before he showed up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.