DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 433 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got an email to do a survey from DirecTV Research Team. Not from DirecTV.com but from "[email protected]" with the text at the bottom of the email "This email is from [email protected], a third-party email run by Research Results Inc. DIRECTV Research Team has contracted SKIM, an independent research firm, to conduct this survey. The information gathered will be used for internal purposes only with DIRECTV Research Team. If you have any questions at all regarding this survey or if you have any technical difficulties, please email SKIM at [email protected]."

First thing I thought was spam or even possible a scam but I decided to go through the survery anyway. Pretty sure it is not a scam as it was just a simple survey.

About midway through I got to this part:

Font Screenshot Parallel Rectangle Electric blue

Hmmm...interesting. So I continued to the next page asking me to click the top 3 from this list.

Font Rectangle Parallel Number Screenshot

Further on and most interesting were these asking me to pick the top two I would prefer.

Font Parallel Number Screenshot Document

·
Premium Member
11,396 Posts
Sounds like an updated client that's maybe in a smaller form factor so works more like a dongle?

Probably the only thing other than size it could improve upon that would matter is something that supports wireless 4K.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This sounds pretty sweet too:

Backup satellite signal protection
• Continue watching TV over broadband if there's a
signal interruption
• Forget worrying about weather-related issues
• Seamlessly switch from satellite to streaming and
never miss a moment

·
Dad
6,617 Posts
Funny, I asked for the BB backup almost 10 years ago from El Segundo engineering. Now they need to get rid of the big ugly HS17 and do something State of the Art, with 4K HDMI output etc. Directv is so behind.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can stream right with the DirecTV app but not directly to a TV. Just a phone or tablet and on iOS you can send it to the TV via Airplay if your TV supports it. But not every channel can be streamed via that method.

·
Icon
1,736 Posts
You can stream right with the DirecTV app but not directly to a TV. Just a phone or tablet and on iOS you can send it to the TV via Airplay if your TV supports it. But not every channel can be streamed via that method.
Maybe you misunderstood or I wasn’t clear. Employee accounts have streaming backup for around 50 channels. If it rains and knocks those 50 channels out it switches over to stream and you miss nothing but the few seconds it takes to switch over.

·
Cool Member/Supporter
305 Posts
This sounds pretty sweet too:

Backup satellite signal protection
• Continue watching TV over broadband if there's a
signal interruption
• Forget worrying about weather-related issues
• Seamlessly switch from satellite to streaming and
never miss a moment
"But it would be unfair to those who don't have broadband", says someone on this board, probably.

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hope that works on the HR-54.
I’ll take a non-in the know non-informed guess that it will only work with the HS17 in a move to get people away from the older receivers and trigger a bunch of new 2 year commitments at a time NFL ST is going away to try to keep a max exodus from happening. But that is just my own guess. No evidence though.

·
Icon
1,736 Posts
I’ll take a non-in the know non-informed guess that it will only work with the HS17 in a move to get people away from the older receivers and trigger a bunch of new 2 year commitments at a time NFL ST is going away to try to keep a max exodus from happening. But that is just my own guess. No evidence though.
works on all genies. I specifically asked.

1 - 20 of 433 Posts