Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Looks like the first mention was in January 2021:

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
It depends on what one is doing with the system. Mesh systems have enough throughput for most use cases. That being said, wired backhauls are a common feature. The Google Nest that harsh noted does not have wired connections to the "WiFi Point" that they use as extenders for their "WiFi Router". Fortunately they do have a LAN port on the router (otherwise I would need to find a different solution). I have a Nest system with a router connected via WAN port to my ISP's gateway device and a GB switch connected to the LAN port on that router. The GB switch feeds the things I want wired (or that don't due wireless). The WiFi mesh works fine serving local users on the router and the point.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
9-4-2022 at 3:41 AM - PDT

@HoTat2I don't know about DirecTV's WAPs; but DISH Network's original WAPs, (they've just introduced a new model for the Wireless 4K Joey, which I do NOT have), were TERRIBLE, and introduced much interference and HIGH pixelations, usually full screen pixelations.
Were you trying to run the DISH WAPs at the same time as a mesh system or another Wi-Fi system?

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
They're going to have to make DIRECTV STREAM a lot more attractive (or DBS a lot less attractive) if they want to make that transition.
Making satellite less attractive will help reduce satellite subscriptions but it won't substantially help DIRECTV Stream. Pushing people away does not guarantee that they will choose DIRECTV's other service. Making stream more attractive is the only path to survival.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Even better, can you name a killer feature that the HR54 doesn't have?
Sure. But are you willing to accept what I mention as "killer features" and not dismiss them as unimportant "minor changes"? A 4K UHD output without using a client would be an improvement. Increasing the number of tuners would be an improvement (more of an HS17 limitation since one can add additional tuners to a HR54 by adding additional satellite receivers - up to the limit of SWM). Four up choose your own channels on the same screen would be an improvement. Not new innovations but missing from the HR54 and likely never to be available. The focus is on clients and streaming.

Reactions: AZ.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
I'm far from convinced that there is a use case for 16 tuners but I could very much see where DIRECTV could benefit from going to 10 (since stacking of the big LIL broadcast channels on a single tuner as DISH does isn't possible given SWiM constraints).
The concept is "conflict free". 16 should be enough to create a "conflict free" environment for most homes although I would prefer 24 tuners (if the H3 can handle the throughput). Or allow multiple receivers where an H3 pulls 16 tuners and smaller receivers can pull the other eight (closer to SWM design with multiple satellite receivers on one coax). Overall 16 is a good number and provides the desired "conflict free" experience DISH wants to offer.

Reactions: TimeLord04

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Yup. I'll be mildly surprised if the forthcoming new client receiver is even exclusive to the satellite side as opposed to being a dual-purpose box that can work standalone for DTV Stream and in conjunction with an HR54 or HS17 for satellite.
The "fallback to streaming" option is a decent innovation that could simply become the normal way of receiving channels if one disconnected the satellite forever. A new satellite client that could stream from an HR54, HS17 or the Internet is not a stretch of the imagination.

Reactions: NashGuy

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Use a narrow minded definition and nothing has been innovative since fire ... and maybe not even fire.
The "guy who invented English" wasn't Merriam or Webster.

Reactions: Steveknj

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Fire itself wasn't an invention or innovation since the "sandal wearing dude who lives in the clouds" invented that.
And even He got the idea from His Dad. :D

Man's control of fire was an innovation.
You are following too strict of a definition. If there has been no innovation since Adam then the guy who created English probably shouldn't have created that word.

That being said, can we move on from interpreting the dictionary?

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Logos can be changed without alerting the FCC. MoCA would be a big jump from a design without a coax connector.

The survey comes at a point in the process where marketing is trying to decide what would be the best way to sell the upgrade to the customer. Marketing surveys are something that should be done close to release not before the device has been submitted to the FCC. So my thoughts are on the A21KW or a firmware upgrade to an existing device. Not new mystery hardware that no one has discovered.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
The "stream backup to satellite" feature will help in several years when there are no satellites. Streaming from an HR54 or HS17 that has satellite signal receivers is viable on the published specs.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
I wonder if you could use it as a separate streaming box if they decide to get rid of DTV Stream? Or if Dish Network merged with DTV which streaming service would they choose?
The new hardware? Yes ... I assume that it will work for any Android supported service if DIRECTV Stream ceases. Based on reported subscriber numbers DISH's Sling TV remains the more popular service but they are two different product offerings. Sling TV is two basic packages that can be bought separately or together plus a few premium add ons. DIRECTV Stream its a tiered system mimicking DIRECTV satellite. As long as people are willing to subscribe to one or the other and the carriage contracts can be renewed I don't see an urgent reason to shut either service down.

I also care about not having to switch inputs going from live TV to streaming.
My HBO subscription via DISH includes HBO Max but I have watched very little HBO Max content other than the HBO OnDemand content viewable on the receiver. Being through one interface is handy.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
The first post TPG purchase version of the DIRECTV.COM website had streaming at the top and one had to scroll down to find satellite offerings. The current version is more balanced offering satellite and streaming side by side.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
You don't understand the survey. The first step (choosing a message) helps them pick a tag line when they advertise the upgrade (pick your favorite three and the marketing company will see the most popular tag line). The second step is to choose the two features that are most important to you. It is not limiting your upgrade to just those two features. It is a marketing survey designed to determine what their advertising should focus on.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
If DIRECTV has any part of NFL ST next year it will be a satellite offering to DIRECTV for Business customers (similar to their satellite offering of ESPN+ and Amazon's TNF). That will work on current equipment. If businesses need to change equipment they would change to the new carrier's equipment, not needing DIRECTV.

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Even DISH receivers can be controlled via TCP/IP. :D

· Super Moderator
54,197 Posts
Ok ... Stay on topic (DIRECTV new receiver).
We are done with the personal bickering.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.