DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
Should be considered a crime to use a 10/100 Ethernet port with the proliferation of GIG internet speeds these days.
What would be the point of something that did more than 25Mbps? Remember that we're talking about SoCs that are designed around streaming video. GigE is certainly of no benefit.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
The cost of putting in a gigabit port is basically pennies.
That's why I was careful to note that we're talking about SoCs and not NICs. If an SoC doesn't require GigE, why waste even pennies?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
Apple put it in their latest ATV 4K. It is nice to do a bandwidth test from the ATV and see what you are actually getting.
The SoC in the ATV 4K is far and above what you find in most streaming devices and since Apple builds only one or two of everything, they can't pinch pennies for a product that they're selling at a pretty high premium.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
If I’m not mistaken the first hr24 was out in 2005.
The HR24 debuted in early 2010 and they stopped building new ones some time ago. The HR20 went through many years of development before it was released in 2006 so the fundamental hardware technology is probably nearing 20 years old. You can't reasonably "enhance" something that far behind.

The survey hints that the client-server model will continue to represent what future there is for DIRECTV DBS hardware.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
Apple does it for a reason I suppose.
Apple does it because their SoCs are used in different applications where the additional speed is beneficial.

The unfortunate side effect is that their lesser devices are often a relatively poor value because they use the same iron as their more costly devices.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
No I pay the extra for the best streaming box out there.
If you read the rankings, there are a number of streaming boxes that are ranked higher than the ATV and are less expensive (with the exception of the nVIDIA Shield TV Pro that is featured closer to a console than a streamer). The ATV is usually cited as the best streamer for those fully engaged in Apple Ecosystem which is a rather unusual qualification for a "streaming box".

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
This new 4K HDR replacement for the Genie Mini, which includes apps for Netflix, HBO Max, Prime Video, etc., is clearly either the existing DTV Stream box (C71-KW400) running Android TV Operator Tier or it's a second-generation version of that box which has yet to be released.
Given that the DIRECTV Stream Device doesn't support DECA, this would be a fairly radical departure and not a drop-in replacement for a Genie Mini.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
More and more people have twisted pair installed in their house and new houses are being built without coax these days.
More and more people are choosing to implement increasingly complex Wi-fi configurations rather than stringing CAT6.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
The preferred method for handling the backhaul traffic (between the mesh nodes) is still by ethernet cable.
Preferred by whom (the product designers or the consumers)? The optimal method isn't the typical method and the RJ45 jack(s) may be used for hardwiring rather than backhauling. The Google Nest satellites don't include an RJ45 port.

How forum members connect their satellites might be an interesting poll question (assuming the forum software stills supports polls).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
Don't think so. It was submitted to the FCC for approval awhile back.
It was submitted in late June 2021 and apparently approved almost immediately.

The A21KW-500 ("A" for AT&T) manual specifically says "The box and remote control are not compatible with any older DIRECTV or AT&T U-verse® equipment" but that might be worked around with a suitable DIRECTV app.

A survey question is not a particularly authoritative source of what's in the queue -- I would have thought that a survey would precede a product, not come after the product has received FCC approval. I'm inclined to believe that this isn't something designed around AT&T TV and is (or will be) a new product that includes MoCA functionality. Something very much like DISH's new Joey 4.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
So I have a three node Asus XT8 mesh system with ethernet backhaul for two satellite nodes by means of D-band MoCA 2.5 adapters as it is comparatively easy to run coax cable throughout the house. ...
How is it "comparatively easy" to run coax versus CAT6?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
The truth is whereas I still have no problems with stripping and attaching coax connectors to RG-6 cable at my near senior citizen age. I seem to be all thumbs at attaching RJ-45 connectors to cat cable ends ...
They have connectors for that. Search Amazon for "RJ45 EZ". Many of these products will work with either stranded or solid conductor cable.

CAT6 has too many advantages (and possible uses) compared to RG6.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
I can attest that the "RJ45 EZ" plugs are easier than old type of plugs but as someone with arthritis in both hands they are still no picnic.
Terminating any kind of cable is no picnic if you're plagued with arthritis. The feed-through plugs can solve problems with both dexterity and visual acuity.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
Sounds like it might be time to teach someone else to terminate cables for you. It is a handy skill and you know what needs to be done.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
I just went back and looked at the part with the wireless 4K and it specifies it would connect wirelessly to a Genie/Genie 2. So I guess it will work with the HR54.
I did the same but interpret it differently in that the survey offers five choices of which the respondent picks two as most important. The first (streaming capability) and last (voice remote) would be automatic for an Android/Google TV box. This suggests that they were seeking to prioritize the features of wireless, self-installation and satellite fallback where they might not all be included. It bears a remarkable resemblance to a classic "triple constraint, pick two" question.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
According to the first screen shot I posted the hardware has already been developed so I assume the hardware is capable on all the functions listed that you mention but they are trying to get an idea of which ones are most important to people.
Of the five listed features, it seems like only the self-installation and satellite fallback features are optional from a practical standpoint (unless MoCA is present).

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,893 Posts
Running cable is running cable, it is a pain in an existing home either way.
No argument here. I would add that running Ethernet cable is a whole lot easier than running coax as it is smaller, lighter and it doesn't have significant bend radius limitations.
My original point was that new homes are being built with cat5 wiring to every room, and without coax. The opposite situation was the rule 20 years ago. So Directv having hardware that's compatible with ethernet instead of insisting on coax would make sense.
No argument here either other than CAT5/6 is becoming less of a thing in new home wiring in favor of multiple access point Wi-fi and speed advances that weren't economically feasible just a few years ago.
That doesn't stop them from continuing to support wireless.
Support involving someone else's Wi-fi is a GINORMOUS ask relative to the exclusive WVB configuration.
That's probably their preference over any wired method, but wireless isn't a solution for every case. Not supporting ethernet in 2022 is just dumb.
No argument here though I would point out that the majority of the streaming devices in use are probably connected via Wi-fi.
They already are to a limited extent - that's how people are connecting their Genie to the internet in many cases. They just have to extend that to supporting clients connected via ethernet.
Thus far, the live streaming options have been relatively limited and a DVR is typically used to buffer the streams. These clients would obviously use the networking media in a much more time sensitive way than is currently in play. This could be a problem for old school protocols used in the HR series Genies.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts