DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Cool that it will work on the HR-54 thanks for checking guys! The only bad thing with DirecTV Stream is if the Internet goes down, you're screwed. Unless you would use you would use your phone as backup.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
That at one point was supposed to be the new Directv Stream Osprey Box.... But it never surfaced
Could it be that they are just delaying the A21KW-500 to make it work with the HR-54 and HS-17? If not, I forgot there is nothing at the FCC site showing any new DTV boxes. Or maybe they will do a software update to make the C71-KW work with the HS-17 and HR-54?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Are we sure it's the C71-KW or the A21-KW? It does say DTV is developing a new piece of hardware. So, could they still say that the C71-KW is new? Or would they be referring to the A21-KW? Or a totally all new Genie Mini just for DTV? Maybe the new box is just not listed on the FCC's website yet?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
-
According to the first screen shot I posted the hardware has already been developed so I assume the hardware is capable on all the functions listed that you mention but they are trying to get an idea of which ones are most important to people. The most important ones to most users may be the only ones included in the first release of the software. Or maybe not. Companies don't always listen to users.
I like that you posted this. Just curious how you got this survey, and I haven't gotten the survey yet?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I think it is kind of weird too that I got it and no one else here has said that they got the email. I got it at the email address I use for my DIRECTV account. Here is a screen grab of the email with my email address removed.

View attachment 32421

If I try using the "CLICK HERE TO BEGIN" link in a different browser than I first completed the survey it still knows I have completed the survey already because of the coded URL in the link.

View attachment 32422
When do you think the new Genie Mini will be available?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
One thing I was thinking about letting the C71-KW and A21-KW work with the HS-17 and HR-54 could those boxes be able to have the Satellite TV settings like view signal strength and whole home DVR, ect? Also View the HS-17 and HR-54's TV Apps?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
9-12-2022 at 1:02 PM - PDT

On DISH, with the Hopper3, (H3), and our Wireless Joey STBs, (we have four, (4), of these), we use the Model '54' Remotes on each Joey and one '54' on the H3. (Actually, the H3 sits in our Attic/Office NOT being viewed as a TV Source in our home. I initially wanted the H3 to be 'headless'; (like the U-Verse ViP-2550 DVR on our old U-300 TV Services), BUT, since the H3 is more 'computer' than a DVR/STB, it really MUST have at least a computer monitor attached for 'diagnostics' and such. We have an ASUS VE-228 22" Monitor attached to the H3 for 'diagnostics' and when we have the need of Customer Service for arisen issues of lack of service.) The '54' Model Remotes have a 'Recall' Button almost dead center on the remote. When you want to 'flip' between two different channels, (once your desired channels have been entered), you just hit 'Recall' to immediately switch to the other chosen channel.

TimeLord04
I think the Hopper 3 looks too big. I think it's about 16" wide, right? Too bad DTV couldn't do one more DVR that would really small not sure how small it could get having something like the PS5's 1 TB SSD drive. It would have at least 5 tuners, HDMI 2.1 output, WIFI 6 and broadband for bad weather backup. Also have the Android TV operator's tier.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Im with Nash on this one... and I think the unifying of the app is a precursor.. The box will act as a Genie Client or a Directv Stream box.. Your login to the device will dictate how the app behaves.. You have Sat, it connects to your Genie and acts like a client.. You have Stream is will act like the Osprey does now
If they unify the DTV Stream APP what about letting DTV customers use the DTV Stream APP as a client? They could still charge $7 a month for it. Then you could use the Apple TV 4k, Ruko TV, Fire Devices and Smart TV's as DTV clients. Even let the Smart TV remote that use the channel numbers change the channels on the DTV Stream APP. Do all this in addition to the DTV 4k Wireless Genie Mini.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Im with Nash on this one... and I think the unifying of the app is a precursor.. The box will act as a Genie Client or a Directv Stream box.. Your login to the device will dictate how the app behaves.. You have Sat, it connects to your Genie and acts like a client.. You have Stream is will act like the Osprey does now
So, you don't think it will be a hybrid C71KW or A21KW? It will be an all-new DTV 4k Wireless Genie Mini that has the Android TV Operator's Tier on it? The GUI would be just like the DTV Stream one. Then when the last satellite runs out of fuel DTV customers would be used to DTV Stream and can just switch over and still use the DTV 4k Wireless Genie Mini? Or update to a new DTV Stream box? It would still be 6-12 months out?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
In the A21-KW manual it says only works with DTV Stream. They would have to like James says. In earlier posts it was suggested a software update could make the DTV Stream box work with DTV. Maybe that is what is taking so long for the A21-KW? AT&T changed its mind on it just being a DTV Stream box?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The A21KW bears a striking resemblance to the C71KW and the carries the AT&T designation so I'm guessing not. I've still not closed my mind to the idea that the new product may feature a MoCA connection to make it truly drop-in compatible.
I think the A21-KW looks more like the Apple TV 4k box than the C71-KW,

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Yes, that's my guess. Rather than release it first for DTV Stream and then later for DTV, they held it back until they got the updated sat-specific software/firmware done so that it could be released for both services at the same time.
I guess it's a complicated process doing the sat-specific software/firmware update for the A21-KW because they couldn't do one for the C71-KW right now? Plus, there is the chip shortage problem getting the A21-KW out. I wonder if a person decides to go to DTV Stream the sat-specific software would go away?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The way the survey was presented it appears it will be a free upgrade to sat customers.
I guess if you are on DTV, it would still be $7 a month and automatically extend your contract another two years?

I wonder if DTV will send an email saying the new box is available and you can order one right now? Or it will be on DTV.com? Hopefully they would have a lot of them. Or it would say supplies limited?

I doubt if you call to get one the CSRs wouldn't know what it was and would send out a C61k? LOL.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts