DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
181 - 200 of 700 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a Genie Gen 2, Model HR44-500, and 3 wireless clients. Just to say nothing special. Last week or so (8/31/22), we had a bad storm, and the following happened:

The STB asked if I wanted to switch to streaming mode. Found the same place where I was watching a show and just continued on like nothing happened, although there was no ff or rew.
See attached:

Thanks,
John
Flat panel display Display device Output device Television set Multimedia
Output device Audio equipment Flat panel display Computer monitor accessory Font

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Young Hollywood don't want to write TV shows for old folks like me. They are writing Euphoria, they are writhing Atlanta, they are writing Hacks (my niece is one of the writers for the new season, and she's a 20 something young writer). Those are all streaming or cable, not linear TV. The shows on linear TV are geared to older folks like me who don't want to stream or don't even know how. They are watching linear TV because that's what they know. I'll stop here because I'll get booted for being too political. Wokeness is a word this is both revered and ostracized depending on your political leanings and who's talking points you listen to and I'll leave it at that.
lol... ok, I'll leave that out.

I'm middle aged and I'm fully aware of how to stream and I would have nothing against streaming if the cost / channels / functionality was all there. FOR ME, it's not because I can get DirecTV cheaper. But we're talking live tv here. If we're talking VOD shows, I've watched multiple of those. My favorite shows tend to be sitcoms and they don't make those any more unfortunately.

· Registered
11,428 Posts
I don't think their goal is to keep Sat alive in the future but to transition as many people to streaming as possible.
It makes no sense to try to transition people now, when the end of life for Directv satellite is a decade away. At least.

They have no reason to discourage people from signing up for satellite if they want it, and no guarantee that they can successful "transition" anyone to Directv Stream.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
It makes no sense to try to transition people now, when the end of life for Directv satellite is a decade away. At least.
It makes no sense to wait until something dies before you start migrating from it.

Consider what is currently going on at Shaw Direct with the thruster failures on Anik F2. They're having to scramble to get everyone set up for a more recent compression scheme (AVC or maybe HEVC) so that they can run the whole system using only Anik G1. [this sounds a lot like DIRECTV's glacial transition away from MPEG2]

DIRECTV/T 10 is still in use and it has just passed its projected 15 year useful lifespan. DIRECTV/T 11 ages out next March and DIRECTV/T 12 reaches the forecast by the end of 2024. Those obviously aren't hard and fast expiration dates but you'll recall that both DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 12 had some serious operational issues along the way (the great amelioration).

There's also the issue that the customer premise equipment is getting pretty creaky and most of it won't still be viable in five years, much less a decade.

· Registered
11,428 Posts
It makes no sense to wait until something dies before you start migrating from it.

Consider what is currently going on at Shaw Direct with the thruster failures on Anik F2. They're having to scramble to get everyone set up for a more recent compression scheme (AVC or maybe HEVC) so that they can run the whole system using only Anik G1. [this sounds a lot like DIRECTV's glacial transition away from MPEG2]

DIRECTV/T 10 is still in use and it has just passed its projected 15 year useful lifespan. DIRECTV/T 11 ages out next March and DIRECTV/T 12 reaches the forecast by the end of 2024. Those obviously aren't hard and fast expiration dates but you'll recall that both DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 12 had some serious operational issues along the way (the great amelioration).

There's also the issue that the customer premise equipment is getting pretty creaky and most of it won't still be viable in five years, much less a decade.

Directv will know exactly what the fuel life situation is with each satellite, and what they would be able to do to move things around and keep going. So they have a pretty good idea today when they won't be able to offer the same level of service without launching replacement satellites.

The time you start worrying about migration is maybe 2 years from that date, not 10.

Customer equipment is not a problem - considering how many receivers they have that are way over a decade old (check my sig) given that today all HR2x are over a decade old there is no issue there. You just love to come up with fake problems because for some reason your life revolves around trolling Directv forums when you aren't a customer. Point to a picture of yourself and tell us where they touched you bad.

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
Also, when did the DIRECTV-12/T12 sat. have any problems?

I recall the "amelioration" procedure as an attempt to correct the local spotbeam antenna problem on DIRECTV-10/T10 which occurred shortly after its launch and early operation. But I don't remember D12/T12 ever having any issues requiring an attempt at an amelioration. ....

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

· Icon
2,263 Posts

They have no reason to discourage people from signing up for satellite if they want it, and no guarantee that they can successful "transition" anyone to Directv Stream.
I don't think they are pushing to transition people right now, but that will come eventually, sooner rather than later. What is suggested in this thread is that they are looking at new hardware that might help facilitate that sort of transition. But look at their current advertising. There's almost no mention of satellite, and once ST goes away, there will be even less need to keep Sat around except for those situations where streaming won't work, at least for now. Heck, we are seeing major networks starting to think about sun-setting their linear TV infrastructure to some extent. More emphaiss on their streaming services that they can sell subscriptions to. Less expensive content (and more and more reality and game shows which cost much less), NBC even considering cutting an hour of primetime. This isn't what healthy infrastructures do. DirecTV sees where things are going. They aren't stupid. Satellite in the future will serve a niche, just like Satellite internet does. It just won't be nearly as good and the technology won't be developed in a way to promote it as THE solution any longer. As a long time sat user and an older person set in my ways, I don't like it either, but that's where we are headed. TV ten years from now is going to look MUCH different than what we see today.

· Hall Of Fame
5,510 Posts
I don't think they are pushing to transition people right now, but that will come eventually, sooner rather than later. What is suggested in this thread is that they are looking at new hardware that might help facilitate that sort of transition. But look at their current advertising. There's almost no mention of satellite, and once ST goes away, there will be even less need to keep Sat around except for those situations where streaming won't work, at least for now. Heck, we are seeing major networks starting to think about sun-setting their linear TV infrastructure to some extent. More emphaiss on their streaming services that they can sell subscriptions to. Less expensive content (and more and more reality and game shows which cost much less), NBC even considering cutting an hour of primetime. This isn't what healthy infrastructures do. DirecTV sees where things are going. They aren't stupid. Satellite in the future will serve a niche, just like Satellite internet does. It just won't be nearly as good and the technology won't be developed in a way to promote it as THE solution any longer. As a long time sat user and an older person set in my ways, I don't like it either, but that's where we are headed. TV ten years from now is going to look MUCH different than what we see today.
will live steaming tv get multicast? Maybe for some ISP's?? Satellite feeds for the sports bookies / bar's to show live sports (maybe even an commercial only service?) Let's say down the road netflix / hbo / etc add's sports well right now you can't get HBO / netflix at commercial public view locations

· Registered
93 Posts
will live steaming tv get multicast? Maybe for some ISP's?? Satellite feeds for the sports bookies / bar's to show live sports (maybe even an commercial only service?) Let's say down the road netflix / hbo / etc add's sports well right now you can't get HBO / netflix at commercial public view locations
9-8-2022 at 7:33 AM - PDT

@JoeTheDragon

I don't know when this went into effect; but, Amazon Prime Video NOW has 'Sports' and will be broadcasting baseball and football games. My parents have Prime and WILL be watching games through Prime that WON'T be broadcasting on our DISH Network satellite services. (Since we are in California, any 'blacked out' 49ers Games will now be viewed by my parents on Prime.)

TimeLord04

· Icon
2,263 Posts
All TBD. I don't think we know the answers to any of this yet, but I can almost guarantee that content providers are already thinking about it.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
once ST goes away, there will be even less need to keep Sat around
What % of the 14M DirecTV subs only use it for ST and/or sports? Do all the ST subs cancel their service during the off season? I don't use it for ST or sports.

Streaming already owns VOD. Not so much for live TV.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Or in the context of this thread, all the big hit shows aging out and not being replenished? Or people stopping to watch big hit shows for VOD only content?

As an older person (your words :D), you'll probably remember that network TV has gone through periods of dry spells where all the big hits aged out and they had trouble replenishing them "for a while".

Will the networks recover this time around? Or are they even trying? TBD. They'll need hit shows either way and I'd probably guess that "today", the big money is still for a hit show on network TV.

You'll know the sky is falling when the networks only have their big hit shows on VOD. Long time away I'd wager.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
9-8-2022 at 7:33 AM - PDT

@JoeTheDragon

I don't know when this went into effect; but, Amazon Prime Video NOW has 'Sports' and will be broadcasting baseball and football games. My parents have Prime and WILL be watching games through Prime that WON'T be broadcasting on our DISH Network satellite services. (Since we are in California, any 'blacked out' 49ers Games will now be viewed by my parents on Prime.)

TimeLord04
They've had baseball games (at least Yankees) for at least 2 years now. They have the NFL Thursday night package (and have already shown one pre-season game). I think they may have MLS games (but I'm not a soccer fan). ATV+ has a Friday night baseball package. And of course ESPN+ has shown multiple games in multiple sports for a few years now.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #194 ·
What % of the 14M DirecTV subs only use it for ST and/or sports? Do all the ST subs cancel their service during the off season? I don't use it for ST or sports.

Which came first? The chicken or the egg? Or in the context of this thread, all the big hit shows aging out and not being replenished? Or people stopping to watch big hit shows for VOD only content?

As an older person (your words :D), you'll probably remember that network TV has gone through periods of dry spells where all the big hits aged out and they had trouble replenishing them "for a while".

Will the networks recover this time around? Or are they even trying? TBD. They'll need hit shows either way and I'd probably guess that "today", the big money is still for a hit show on network TV.

You'll know the sky is falling when the networks only have their big hit shows on VOD. Long time away I'd wager.
I think the day of hit TV comedies is gone forever. You can't be funny without offending someone. And how many more cop shows can they come up with? Everything is moving to unscripted Reality TV so they don't have to pay writers and actors the big bucks.

· Icon
2,263 Posts

I'm sure it's a small percentage who have ST. What I'm saying is that ST is a reason some have stuck around with DirecTV and not moved on to OTT like DirecTV Stream or YouTube TV. Without ST, that incentive is no longer there. It's not the determining factor for the demise of Sat, but it adds to it.

Sure OTA has had down cycles where classic shows are ending. What they have NEVER had was the type of On Demand viewing that has completely changed the landscape of TV viewing NOR have they had a generation of TV viewers who care little about linear TV (those pesky channel numbers for example) and are used to just watching stuff whenever they want. The DVR changed the landscape somewhat and had networks scrambling but On Demand viewing to the extent the streamers offer means that you don't even have to record something, you just click on it and watch, either as soon as it drops or whenever you feel like it, and, you are not even tethered to your TV, you can watch when you want, where you want and on whatever device you want (I don't get wanting to watch on a phone, but whatever). In fact, you don't even have to watch "professional TV" if you don't want, you can watch amateur video on YouTube or Tik Tok or whatever medium you want. OTA and or Linear TV has never had that kind of challenge. It's a permanent downslide, compatible to automobiles replacing horses, or electric lights replacing oil lamps. Sorry, you and I are just used to the old way of doing things, but ask a teen or 20 something if they care about watching linear TV. Are they going to sit and watch Blue Bloods or even Dancing With the Stars? No, they appeal to folks like me. My 20 something daughter spends much more time on TIk Tok than she does watching ABC or even HBO. Advertising dollars will go to the new mediums. This is not a sky is falling situation, this is a change in scope situation. No sky is falling, it's just a change in the weather.

· Icon
2,263 Posts
I think the day of hit TV comedies is gone forever. You can't be funny without offending someone. And how many more cop shows can they come up with? Everything is moving to unscripted Reality TV so they don't have to pay writers and actors the big bucks.
This is especially true when you consider all the competition for advertising dollars and the diminished ratings for any linear TV show not named NFL Football. Cheap is the name of the game. Just look at what DTW is doing.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
Probably. Thus I mentioned the "W" word earlier. Could you imagine the uproar if Two And A Half Men or Married With Children was put on the air today? Friends would get bashed for being white washed. Cheers would get bashed for promoting alcoholism. Even poor Steve Urkel would get bashed for poor portrayal of smart people lol. Happy Days, Threes Company, Charlies Angels would all get bashed for their portrayals of women.

There are a few interesting sitcoms in development. I'm looking forward to the Night Court reboot. Has a good cast w/ John Larroquette coming back, but I'm betting they'll "W" out a lot of the gimmicks that made that show funny and it'll just be another one and done. Dunno if there was a lot to offend people with The Big Bang Theory was there? Unless you're talking about the unfair portrayal of smart people again lol.

Is reality TV still "a thing"? Seemed like they cancelled a lot of the Jersey Shore type shows because all the cast members tend to get into all sorts of trouble off screen. They're certainly down from their peak. Only ones I watch are AGT and Pawn Stars and Gold Rush. AGT, you can tell they are getting hard up for talent. Pawn Stars ratings are way down, etc.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
I'm sure it's a small percentage who have ST. What I'm saying is that ST is a reason some have stuck around with DirecTV and not moved on to OTT like DirecTV Stream or YouTube TV. Without ST, that incentive is no longer there. It's not the determining factor for the demise of Sat, but it adds to it.

Sure OTA has had down cycles where classic shows are ending. What they have NEVER had was the type of On Demand viewing that has completely changed the landscape of TV viewing NOR have they had a generation of TV viewers who care little about linear TV (those pesky channel numbers for example) and are used to just watching stuff whenever they want. The DVR changed the landscape somewhat and had networks scrambling but On Demand viewing to the extent the streamers offer means that you don't even have to record something, you just click on it and watch, either as soon as it drops or whenever you feel like it, and, you are not even tethered to your TV, you can watch when you want, where you want and on whatever device you want (I don't get wanting to watch on a phone, but whatever). In fact, you don't even have to watch "professional TV" if you don't want, you can watch amateur video on YouTube or Tik Tok or whatever medium you want. OTA and or Linear TV has never had that kind of challenge. It's a permanent downslide, compatible to automobiles replacing horses, or electric lights replacing oil lamps. Sorry, you and I are just used to the old way of doing things, but ask a teen or 20 something if they care about watching linear TV. Are they going to sit and watch Blue Bloods or even Dancing With the Stars? No, they appeal to folks like me. My 20 something daughter spends much more time on TIk Tok than she does watching ABC or even HBO. Advertising dollars will go to the new mediums. This is not a sky is falling situation, this is a change in scope situation. No sky is falling, it's just a change in the weather.
No doubt young kids/teens aren't watching network TV, but again, I'd have to say that there aren't any hit shows on nowadays, those are all on HBO/Showtime and the VOD services. I can't even name a sitcom on the air now. The ones I watched are all gone.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #199 ·
I'm looking forward to the Night Court reboot. Has a good cast w/ John Larroquette coming back
It also has The Big Bang Theory’s Melissa Rauch as Judge Abby Stone, daughter of Harry Anderson’s Judge Harry Stone. These reboots rarely are as good as they sound.

· Premium Member
4,078 Posts
Discussion Starter · #200 ·
Is reality TV still "a thing"? Seemed like they cancelled a lot of the Jersey Shore type shows because all the cast members tend to get into all sorts of trouble off screen. They're certainly down from their peak. Only ones I watch are AGT and Pawn Stars and Gold Rush. AGT, you can tell they are getting hard up for talent. Pawn Stars ratings are way down, etc.
Take a look at the content of many of the Discovery channels. The Reality garbage is alive and well. Maybe 1000-lb Sisters is your cup of tea? 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: krel
181 - 200 of 700 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.