DBSTalk Forum banner
341 - 360 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
I've been a DTV sat customer for 27 years, they keep moving channels I normally watch into higher tier packages. I called customer retention, it would be an additional $60 to get those channels back and they really could care less. But they did say I could get all those channels back for Less than I'm paying now with DirecTV stream. So other than us rural customers they see the writing on the wall
Yeah, I don't think DTV is proactively trying to migrate their sat customers over to Stream but they're definitely doing it on a reactive basis, especially when the customer complains about pricing.

I wonder how much longer they're going to keep those live 4K sports as the main differentiating feature between the two? (Yes, I know the sat service has NFLST and NFL Network while Stream lacks both but that probably won't be the case next season.)

·
Premium Member
3,710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #342 ·
Another reason they may have been holding off on introducing the A21 is to sell through their inventory of new C71 units. Perhaps we'll see them initially sell only new A21 units to both DTV Stream and sat customers while Stream customers will still have the option of buying cheaper refurbished C71s.
The way the survey was presented it appears it will be a free upgrade to sat customers.

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
The way the survey was presented it appears it will be a free upgrade to sat customers.
I guess if you are on DTV, it would still be $7 a month and automatically extend your contract another two years?

I wonder if DTV will send an email saying the new box is available and you can order one right now? Or it will be on DTV.com? Hopefully they would have a lot of them. Or it would say supplies limited?

I doubt if you call to get one the CSRs wouldn't know what it was and would send out a C61k? LOL.

·
Icon
2,185 Posts
I guess if you are on DTV, it would still be $7 a month and automatically extend your contract another two years?

I wonder if DTV will send an email saying the new box is available and you can order one right now? Or it will be on DTV.com? Hopefully they would have a lot of them. Or it would say supplies limited?

I doubt if you call to get one the CSRs wouldn't know what it was and would send out a C61k? LOL.
My guess is they will do it like they always have. When your time is up for an upgrade, they will offer you the new box (with the requisite 2 year contract commitment), Perhaps with new management that would change, but we've been through a few different owners and it's always been the same.

·
Premium Member
11,395 Posts
Newer C71's have 4GB of ram The software never uses above like 1.75. Its clear its written to not take advantage of that ram
That's probably because they couldn't get small DRAMs anymore. Something like that would like using 4 x16 chips to create a 64 bit wide DRAM channel, and if your supplier stops offering 4Gbit DRAMs then you either swap in 8Gbit DRAMs and leave everything else the same or you have to change your memory controller to accept 2 x32 DRAMs (which exist but have less availability)

Reactions: P Smith

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,856 Posts
Another reason they may have been holding off on introducing the A21 is to sell through their inventory of new C71 units.
If they were worried about protecting their investment, why are they offering refurbished units at 50% off?

·
Hall Of Fame
5,311 Posts
That's probably because they couldn't get small DRAMs anymore. Something like that would like using 4 x16 chips to create a 64 bit wide DRAM channel, and if your supplier stops offering 4Gbit DRAMs then you either swap in 8Gbit DRAMs and leave everything else the same or you have to change your memory controller to accept 2 x32 DRAMs (which exist but have less availability)
Oh I would bet money that is the reason

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
If they were worried about protecting their investment, why are they offering refurbished units at 50% off?
They give customers a 14 day no-risk trial. If you buy a box when you order service but then cancel within 14 days, they refund all your money and you have to return the box. The boxes also come with a 1-yr warranty and I assume the way that works is you send in your messed up box and they ship you a new or refurbished one and then try to fix the one you sent them.

So my guess is that they had quite a few of those returned boxes piled up. What else are they gonna do with them other than resell them? I'll bet some of the ones being sold on eBay were originally coming from AT&T. And then at some point, DTV just decided to resell them directly via their website to new customers. Why cut eBay in for 15% or whatever they take?

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
Why would you do this? Smart TV and Roku already do it. Only reason to do it is maybe to simplify wiring and not have to change inputs. Doubt most people care about that.
Oh, a lot of people do care about not having to switch inputs and remotes (especially once they've experienced having all their TV together in one box). MVDPs are very much concerned about owning "Input 1" on their customers' TVs and not having them switch away to other devices. Because that's a slippery slope to cutting the cord and cancelling their cable TV service completely. "Why are we still paying $90 a month for cable TV when we seem to spend almost all our time on the Roku?"

·
Hall Of Fame
5,311 Posts
They give customers a 14 day no-risk trial. If you buy a box when you order service but then cancel within 14 days, they refund all your money and you have to return the box. The boxes also come with a 1-yr warranty and I assume the way that works is you send in your messed up box and they ship you a new or refurbished one and then try to fix the one you sent them.

So my guess is that they had quite a few of those returned boxes piled up. What else are they gonna do with them other than resell them? I'll bet some of the ones being sold on eBay were originally coming from AT&T. And then at some point, DTV just decided to resell them directly via their website to new customers. Why cut eBay in for 15% or whatever they take?
It’s 5 days now

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
I wonder if you could use it as a separate streaming box if they decide to get rid of DTV Stream? Or if Dish Network merged with DTV which streaming service would they choose?

I also care about not having to switch inputs going from live TV to streaming.

·
Super Moderator
53,983 Posts
I wonder if you could use it as a separate streaming box if they decide to get rid of DTV Stream? Or if Dish Network merged with DTV which streaming service would they choose?
The new hardware? Yes ... I assume that it will work for any Android supported service if DIRECTV Stream ceases. Based on reported subscriber numbers DISH's Sling TV remains the more popular service but they are two different product offerings. Sling TV is two basic packages that can be bought separately or together plus a few premium add ons. DIRECTV Stream its a tiered system mimicking DIRECTV satellite. As long as people are willing to subscribe to one or the other and the carriage contracts can be renewed I don't see an urgent reason to shut either service down.

I also care about not having to switch inputs going from live TV to streaming.
My HBO subscription via DISH includes HBO Max but I have watched very little HBO Max content other than the HBO OnDemand content viewable on the receiver. Being through one interface is handy.

·
Icon
4,331 Posts
Oh, a lot of people do care about not having to switch inputs and remotes (especially once they've experienced having all their TV together in one box). MVDPs are very much concerned about owning "Input 1" on their customers' TVs and not having them switch away to other devices. Because that's a slippery slope to cutting the cord and cancelling their cable TV service completely. "Why are we still paying $90 a month for cable TV when we seem to spend almost all our time on the Roku?"
I care about not having to switch inputs and having one remote (the rectangular DirecTV remote) that controls my TV, AVR & DVR with one button. But my dad uses 5 remotes and switches between like 3 different inputs. Don't ask me why lol. I've told him a few times he can do it all on one remote.

341 - 360 of 484 Posts