DBSTalk Forum banner
361 - 380 of 430 Posts

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
So my guess is that they had quite a few of those returned boxes piled up. What else are they gonna do with them other than resell them?
Sure, but why sell them at 50% off unless that's all they were worth in the first place?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I wonder if you could use it as a separate streaming box if they decide to get rid of DTV Stream?
It's been confirmed that the current C71 DTV Stream box can be used purely to run Android TV apps if the user cancels DTV Stream service. I imagine it will be the same scenario with any future model that replaces it, as long as it continues to be sold to and owned by the user. That said, the advice I recently gave a DTV Stream customer who's about to cancel (or recently did) is to just pay $20 for the Onn 4K Android TV box from Walmart. I think it's probably going to be snappier in terms of UI navigation and app launching. Plus it will give you a better home screen and a remote without lots of buttons that no longer function. It also comes with a free 6-mo trial of Peacock Premium, which offsets the modest cost.

As for the supposedly forthcoming device for DTV sat users, as well as the new Android TV devices from DISH, it sounds like those boxes will have to be returned when the user cancels service completely.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
The demand in this case might be for a competitively priced streaming box. Asking $100 for an Android TV box when you can get a Chromecast with Google TV for $50 is a big ask.

The TiVo Stream 4K even has digits on its remote (if only the app supported them) and it is selling for under $40.

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
Not to mention they were never "worth" 100% in the first place in terms of cost to DirecTV. Making 10x-20x the cost of a box is indeed "a thing". So they've got plenty of headroom to still make a mint.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
So they've got plenty of headroom to still make a mint.
What's wrong with making more money on the refurbs? They could probably sell all of them they can turn around at $80.

It isn't as if we're talking about a product where mileage is a concern.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
-
The demand in this case might be for a competitively priced streaming box. Asking $100 for an Android TV box when you can get a Chromecast with Google TV for $50 is a big ask.

The TiVo Stream 4K even has digits on its remote (if only the app supported them) and it is selling for under $40.
Too bad they don't have the DTV Stream for all Google TV devices. You could use the channel buttons with the DTV Stream APP if it was on the Tivo Stream 4k dongle. I wonder if that's because they really want you buying their devices?

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
I wonder if that's because they really want you buying their devices?
What other reason could there be?

I reason that it would be painful in the long haul to depart from the standard Android way of doing things given that there's a ready solution.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Too bad they don't have the DTV Stream for all Google TV devices. You could use the channel buttons with the DTV Stream APP if it was on the Tivo Stream 4k dongle. I wonder if that's because they really want you buying their devices?
Yeah, that's the only reason why I can figure that DTV Stream doesn't put out an app for Android TV/Google TV. They want to protect their own device with its custom remote that costs significantly more than comparable Android TV devices sold at retail.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
Yeah, that's the only reason why I can figure that DTV Stream doesn't put out an app for Android TV/Google TV.
DIRECTV may have learned their lesson with RVU and what it takes to support multiple TV platforms.

·
Icon
2,146 Posts
It's been confirmed that the current C71 DTV Stream box can be used purely to run Android TV apps if the user cancels DTV Stream service. I imagine it will be the same scenario with any future model that replaces it, as long as it continues to be sold to and owned by the user. That said, the advice I recently gave a DTV Stream customer who's about to cancel (or recently did) is to just pay $20 for the Onn 4K Android TV box from Walmart. I think it's probably going to be snappier in terms of UI navigation and app launching. Plus it will give you a better home screen and a remote without lots of buttons that no longer function. It also comes with a free 6-mo trial of Peacock Premium, which offsets the modest cost.

As for the supposedly forthcoming device for DTV sat users, as well as the new Android TV devices from DISH, it sounds like those boxes will have to be returned when the user cancels service completely.
Really the only reason to use something other than your smart TV or a box like the C71 for your streaming is features. For example, Netflix doesn't support Dolby Atmos on all streaming devices (at least the last I checked). Some streaming boxes have apps that other boxes don't have, that sort of thing. Of course there's always an interface you might like better. Some folks like ATV's interface, and how well it works in the Apple infrastructure. But to me, once all streaming boxes offer the same things, there's little reason to move off the box that's the most convenient to you. So if everything is driven through your DirecTV box, or if everything is driven through your SmartTV, most people will just not bother buying a Roku or ATV or Firestick, if the ease of use is there.

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
Really the only reason to use something other than your smart TV or a box like the C71 for your streaming is features. For example, Netflix doesn't support Dolby Atmos on all streaming devices (at least the last I checked). Some streaming boxes have apps that other boxes don't have, that sort of thing. Of course there's always an interface you might like better. Some folks like ATV's interface, and how well it works in the Apple infrastructure. But to me, once all streaming boxes offer the same things, there's little reason to move off the box that's the most convenient to you. So if everything is driven through your DirecTV box, or if everything is driven through your SmartTV, most people will just not bother buying a Roku or ATV or Firestick, if the ease of use is there.
The old expression "jack of all trades, master of none" applies here.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
So if everything is driven through your DirecTV box, or if everything is driven through your SmartTV, most people will just not bother buying a Roku or ATV or Firestick, if the ease of use is there.
This is why industry observers think the race for streaming platform dominance will come down to smart TVs, not separate boxes/dongles. But for that to really come to pass, I think we're going to have to see smart TVs that remain fully supported and well-performing for the life of the TV (e.g. ~7 yrs on average, I think). Otherwise, you'll still have folks abandon their smart TV apps and connect a better streaming box. That said, smart TVs are getting at least somewhat better. (Wonder if we'll ever see Apple license their tvOS to a smart TV OEM? Or, perhaps more likely, if we'll ever see them put out their own line of premium smart TVs with built-in Siri smart speaker and webcam for FaceTime calls?)

Also, I think about those households that would prefer having the same UI and remote on all the TVs they regularly use rather than having a different system on each one because they're different brands/years of smart TV.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
DIRECTV may have learned their lesson with RVU and what it takes to support multiple TV platforms.
Nah. They're already having to support Android TV via their dedicated box. And actually, they could just take their existing Fire TV app and stick it on the Google Play store as an Android TV app. It can be sideloaded onto Android TV devices but reportedly keeps breaking every time DTV updates it. Any software dev that has an app for Fire TV but not Android TV, but not vice versa, is intentionally choosing not to support that platform, probably for business reasons, e.g. disagreement with Amazon or Google over fees.

·
Cool Member
55 Posts
Also, I think about those households that would prefer having the same UI and remote on all the TVs they regularly use rather than having a different system on each one because they're different brands/years of smart TV.
That's exactly why I ended up putting a Roku on every TV that we stream on (six and counting). Too many interfaces, and even the one I kinda liked (Sony; might be an Android interface) changed so much after an update I put a Roku on it. My wife can't adapt to all these different UIs.

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
That's exactly why I ended up putting a Roku on every TV that we stream on (six and counting). Too many interfaces, and even the one I kinda liked (Sony; might be an Android interface) changed so much after an update I put a Roku on it. My wife can't adapt to all these different UIs.
Anybody with an AVR wants to switch through the AVR. Smart TVs want you to switch through the TV and then use ARC into the AVR.

I keep my AVR on my DirecTV box tbh. I rarely use my 4K player. Switching through the AVR means going to get a 2nd remote. So it would be cool to have apps on the DirecTV so I could have TV + apps. Although I don't use streaming, so not a big deal for me. But could be a selling point for most people annoyed by switching.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
I actually don't like having set-top boxes and would like to have APPS. Except the DTV Stream box has channel numbers on the remote. Some TVS are starting to drop channel numbers from there remotes. Would the picture and sound be the same through an APP vs. the set-top box and the HDMI cable? Plus, there is the APP support on the Smart TV like NashGuy said.

361 - 380 of 430 Posts