DBSTalk Forum banner
381 - 400 of 430 Posts

·
Icon
2,146 Posts
This is why industry observers think the race for streaming platform dominance will come down to smart TVs, not separate boxes/dongles. But for that to really come to pass, I think we're going to have to see smart TVs that remain fully supported and well-performing for the life of the TV (e.g. ~7 yrs on average, I think). Otherwise, you'll still have folks abandon their smart TV apps and connect a better streaming box. That said, smart TVs are getting at least somewhat better. (Wonder if we'll ever see Apple license their tvOS to a smart TV OEM? Or, perhaps more likely, if we'll ever see them put out their own line of premium smart TVs with built-in Siri smart speaker and webcam for FaceTime calls?)

Also, I think about those households that would prefer having the same UI and remote on all the TVs they regularly use rather than having a different system on each one because they're different brands/years of smart TV.
The major shift here is that they are now licensing existing OS (ones that are on streaming devices) which are more likely to be updated and supported. There's now a plethora of Google OS TVs, and Roku TVs and Firestick TVs. And I think app makers are more likely to support those because it's probably fairly easy to port those over to smart TV variants. There are still a few TV makers who ware "holding out" and using their own smart TV OS. The odd thing is they are some of the major manufacturers, LG, Sony, Samsung and Vizio, who have proprietary OS. And I bet those are the most likely customers to buy external devices. But imagine of Apple for example hooked up with Samsung? That would be huge for Apple. Ease of use is going to be key. I just bought a TV with Google OS, and it's pretty easy to use really, and it has most of the apps I used and they seem to be getting updated regularly too.

·
Premium Member
3,338 Posts
Discussion Starter · #384 ·
The major shift here is that they are now licensing existing OS (ones that are on streaming devices) which are more likely to be updated and supported. There's now a plethora of Google OS TVs, and Roku TVs and Firestick TVs. And I think app makers are more likely to support those because it's probably fairly easy to port those over to smart TV variants. There are still a few TV makers who ware "holding out" and using their own smart TV OS. The odd thing is they are some of the major manufacturers, LG, Sony, Samsung and Vizio, who have proprietary OS. And I bet those are the most likely customers to buy external devices. But imagine of Apple for example hooked up with Samsung? That would be huge for Apple. Ease of use is going to be key. I just bought a TV with Google OS, and it's pretty easy to use really, and it has most of the apps I used and they seem to be getting updated regularly too.
I have LG TV's and do not care at all about the apps on it. They all suck compared to the same app on the Apple TV.

·
Icon
2,146 Posts
I have LG TV's and do not care at all about the apps on it. They all suck compared to the same app on the Apple TV.
Yep, and that's my point. These propitiatory systems are being orphaned by the app makers because they would rather concentrate on Roku/ATV/Google OS and Firestick which have a much larger market share. It's kind of like what happened to Windows phone OS (or whatever it was called). BTW, I kind of liked WebOS which is what LG uses, when I owned an LG TV, but like you said, there are better options, and many are cheap enough to supplement and/or replace. And it would be even better if one of the OS is integrated into your Sat or cable box. I have to say, my new TV with Google OS, is very snappy. If Netflix supported Dolby Atmos on that OS, I might think about jettisoning the various streamers I have connected to my system.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,401 Posts
Nah. They're already having to support Android TV via their dedicated box.
There's obviously a different app running on the DIRECTV STREAM device (of which there is one and only one model). Running on a random Android/Google TV enabled television is a decidedly different situation.

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
I think another sign they are doing that DTV/DTV Stream 4k Wireless Genie Mini is DTV has a commercial that looks like the DTV Stream one "Get your TV together." I wonder if DTV would want to have a commercial that says get your TV together with live TV and streaming all in one place?

DIRECTV | Get Your TV Together | The Wives' House :30 - YouTube
Meh... even if they are building this... nothing more then a Roku knock-off. I (and everybody else) would love a box where I get all the different services in a UNIFIED UI, but that would mean dropping all the brandings on the different services and having a generic UI which none of the providers would ever go for in a million years. The Roku has a unified search, but then you still need to go into the individual apps.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Meh... even if they are building this... nothing more then a Roku knock-off. I (and everybody else) would love a box where I get all the different services in a UNIFIED UI, but that would mean dropping all the brandings on the different services and having a generic UI which none of the providers would ever go for in a million years. The Roku has a unified search, but then you still need to go into the individual apps.
Why would they need to drop all the branding?

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
Why would they need to drop all the branding?
That was for a hypothetical 100% "unified UI". You're thinking of a "unified UI" as something like Roku, I'm thinking of it as appearing as a "single app". You could do something like the DirecTV guide where they have the channel logos on the left, but if you switch between HBO and Disney, for example, and they have completely different behavior and look (as they do on a Roku), then that's not a 100% unified UI.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,238 Posts
I think another sign they are doing that DTV/DTV Stream 4k Wireless Genie Mini is DTV has a commercial that looks like the DTV Stream one "Get your TV together." I wonder if DTV would want to have a commercial that says get your TV together with live TV and streaming all in one place?

DIRECTV | Get Your TV Together | The Wives' House :30 - YouTube
Thats a Directv Stream commercial They have been running ones like that for over a year

·
Icon
4,136 Posts
Its one Company.. Again they have been running commercials like that for over a year.. Its not a pre-cursor to anything
^^^ This. Read the survey again. It doesn't say any of that is coming. It says what would you WISH was coming. It took us 2 yrs of WISHING before they thought DLB was important enough to implement when the DirecTivos already had it.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
There's obviously a different app running on the DIRECTV STREAM device (of which there is one and only one model). Running on a random Android/Google TV enabled television is a decidedly different situation.
It's pretty much the same codebase. It's just that their app serves as the default home screen on their own device since it's running Android TV Operator Tier.

But, as I said, you can take the existing Fire TV app, just as it is, and sideload it onto an Android TV device and it will run. (Can't remember, you might have to also sideload install the Amazon Appstore for Android app too to give the DTV Stream app permission to launch on that device.) So DTV could literally just authorize their existing Fire TV app for Google Play/Android TV without doing anything to change it and it would work fine. They just don't want to do that.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
This is a new DirecTV commercial not DirecTV Stream.
Hmm, interesting that they've appeared to take the ongoing DTV Stream ad campaign and are now just saying "DIRECTV." I guess they figure that it can work for either the sat or streaming product.

I also noticed that they recently redesigned the DTV website. Now appears that they're using the DIRECTV logo to equally represent both services. Both are showcased side-by-side on the home page and they now appear to have a specific "DIRECTV Satellite" branded logo in addition to the "DIRECTV Stream" logo that they've been using for the past year or so.

Hood Automotive design Font Gas Gadget
Font Display device Gadget Electronic device Multimedia

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
^^^ This. Read the survey again. It doesn't say any of that is coming. It says what would you WISH was coming. It took us 2 yrs of WISHING before they thought DLB was important enough to implement when the DirecTivos already had it.
It says in the first screenshot. DTV has developed a new piece of hardware to replace your existing Genie Mini's

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Hmm, interesting that they've appeared to take the ongoing DTV Stream ad campaign and are now just saying "DIRECTV." I guess they figure that it can work for either the sat or streaming product.

I also noticed that they recently redesigned the DTV website. Now appears that they're using the DIRECTV logo to equally represent both services. Both are showcased side-by-side on the home page and they now appear to have a specific "DIRECTV Satellite" branded logo in addition to the "DIRECTV Stream" logo that they've been using for the past year or so.

View attachment 32468 View attachment 32469
Is this the start of DTV and DTV Stream having the same look and feel and that is why they have developed the new Genie Mini?

381 - 400 of 430 Posts