DBSTalk Forum banner
421 - 440 of 484 Posts

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The Genie is never going to look like DIRECTV Stream. They tried that. It can’t handle it.
If, as has been speculated, they come out with a dual-purpose client (e.g. the A21 that's already passed through the FCC) that can work with either DTV Stream or DTV by connecting to a Genie server, then yeah, it would have pretty much the same UI used either way. Just as DISH's latest Android TV-powered clients have a different UI than their earlier Hoppers and Joeys, an Android TV-powered client for DTV sat would probably have a different UI than the current Genies and Genie Minis.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,864 Posts
Another thing I think they could do is let the DTV Stream APP on other streaming devices be a client and charge $7 a month for it. Also have the DTV Stream APP connect to the HS-17 and HR-54.
This is where using a STREAM device gets sticky. A DIRECTV DBS STB that didn't demand a TV fee sounds almost unthinkable.

Either that or DIRECTV sees where DISH might be stealing their lunch with a DISH Anywhere enabled FireTV device. Even I don't buy this one.

·
Icon
536 Posts
There is another use case for the topic of new hardware, how does the new device accomidate the needs of all of the sports bars filled with dozens of HDTVs ? NFLST and DTV generate significant revenues from these commercial customers.

Perhaps the NFL and DTV will have a special dervice offering for them when NFLST ends for DTV residential customers next year. This will buy some time for them to get migrated to the new devices.

·
Super Moderator
53,988 Posts
If DIRECTV has any part of NFL ST next year it will be a satellite offering to DIRECTV for Business customers (similar to their satellite offering of ESPN+ and Amazon's TNF). That will work on current equipment. If businesses need to change equipment they would change to the new carrier's equipment, not needing DIRECTV.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,864 Posts
There is another use case for the topic of new hardware, how does the new device accomidate the needs of all of the sports bars filled with dozens of HDTVs ? NFLST and DTV generate significant revenues from these commercial customers.
As we've seen in retail stores, I think HDMI matrix switches are going to become the next big thing. It theoretically takes away the dependence on any proprietary distribution technologies.

·
1,360 Posts
I think it is kind of weird too that I got it and no one else here has said that they got the email. I got it at the email address I use for my DIRECTV account. Here is a screen grab of the email with my email address removed.

View attachment 32421

If I try using the "CLICK HERE TO BEGIN" link in a different browser than I first completed the survey it still knows I have completed the survey already because of the coded URL in the link.

View attachment 32422
i hope they send me one i'll give em an earful:unsure:

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,864 Posts
they just got slapped with a 17 million dollar lawsuit for robo calls, so no new hardware just another rate increase:rolleyes::D:ROFLMAO:
The class action lawsuit was filed in March of 2018 so characterizing it as "just got slapped with a lawsuit" is misleading. The new part is that it was settled for the $17 million dollar figure late last week.

·
Super Moderator
53,988 Posts
Less than $2 per subscriber. Moving on.

421 - 440 of 484 Posts