DBSTalk Forum banner
481 - 484 of 484 Posts

· Premium Member
11,401 Posts
Do you mean TCP/IP using SHEF or did you mean infra-red? I think SHEF being used by most would be a hard sell.

All recent STBs other than the H25 support RF remote but there was an aftermarket dongle to give the H25 RF remote capability (which it certainly should have come with).

There are tons of apps that control IP enabled hardware, including Directv's. Directv also has an iPad app built for commercial accounts.

You're talking outside your experience and knowledge once again. Maybe look at my sig, consider why I have that many receivers, and realize that I know far more about the bar/restaurant world than you ever will.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,001 Posts
There are tons of apps that control IP enabled hardware, including Directv's.
Most of the local establishments that I've visited that have DIRECTV use IR remotes. Some they have chained down at the booth and others are kept behind the "bar". Of course none of the establishments around here have anywhere near 30 DIRECTV receivers as DIRECTV doesn't offer Pac-12 requiring that Comcast (or DISH) be part of the mix. YMMV.

· Super Moderator
54,024 Posts
Even DISH receivers can be controlled via TCP/IP. :D

· Premium Member
11,401 Posts
Most of the local establishments that I've visited that have DIRECTV use IR remotes. Some they have chained down at the booth and others are kept behind the "bar". Of course none of the establishments around here have anywhere near 30 DIRECTV receivers as DIRECTV doesn't offer Pac-12 requiring that Comcast (or DISH) be part of the mix. YMMV.
If they use IR remotes they don't need RF. If they use IP they don't need RF. There is not much point to RF remotes in a bar/restaurant because having a dedicated remote per TV would be totally unwieldy if you have more than a half dozen or so TVs.

Since Directv can use 8 different IR code sets you can manage TVs next to each other in various ways like by putting a little colored sticker on a TV that indicates the remote code its receiver is set to, and choose that color remote. Though places that use IR remotes don't seem to be that clever, I'll see them do stuff like wrapping their hand around the end of the remote so the beam only hits the desired TV lol

481 - 484 of 484 Posts