DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 700 Posts

· Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Your HR24s are a dying breed. They will never get any new features. They will become doorstops eventually.
Explain to me if it is using your home network to watch content from the HR54 DVR it couldn't do the same from the HR24. It is on the same network that the HR54 is on.

· Icon
1,785 Posts
Explain to me if it is using your home network to watch content from the HR54 DVR it couldn't do the same from the HR24. It is on the same network that the HR54 is on.
I’m sure it could but Dtv is not moving forward with any new features on those old dvrs. Why would they? If I’m not mistaken the first hr24 was out in 2005. That’s nearly 20 year old technology.

· Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I’m sure it could but Dtv is not moving forward with any new features on those old dvrs. Why would they? If I’m not mistaken the first hr24 was out in 2005. That’s nearly 20 year old technology.
What new feature would have to be done to the HR24? They are already on the network.

· Registered
1,847 Posts
That at one point was supposed to be the new Directv Stream Osprey Box.... But it never surfaced
Could it be that they are just delaying the A21KW-500 to make it work with the HR-54 and HS-17? If not, I forgot there is nothing at the FCC site showing any new DTV boxes. Or maybe they will do a software update to make the C71-KW work with the HS-17 and HR-54?

· Hall Of Fame
5,460 Posts
Could it be that they are just delaying the A21KW-500 to make it work with the HR-54 and HS-17? If not, I forgot there is nothing at the FCC site showing any new DTV boxes. Or maybe they will do a software update to make the C71-KW work with the HS-17 and HR-54?
Its possible based on both fronts.

· Godfather
2,192 Posts
Can someone update me here?

Since the email states that this new client supports wireless 4K for both the "Genie" and "Genie 2."

Well since the Genie-1 (HR54) has to use an external WVB of course. I thought the MoCA 2.0 and 802.11ac WiFi capable WVB ver. 2 needed for 4K wireless streaming was never released?

Only the MoCA 1.1/802.11n version for HD/SD streaming was ever officially distributed to subscribers?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
I have an HR54 1 with no WVB.

· Hall Of Fame
5,460 Posts
Can someone update me here?

Since the email states that this new client supports wireless 4K for both the "Genie" and "Genie 2."

Well since the Genie-1 (HR54) has to use an external WVB of course. I thought the MoCA 2.0 and 802.11ac WiFi capable WVB ver. 2 needed for 4K wireless streaming was never released?

Only the MoCA 1.1/802.11n version for HD/SD streaming was ever officially distributed to subscribers?

If its using your home Wifi Network then a WVB is not needed

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,866 Posts
Apple put it in their latest ATV 4K. It is nice to do a bandwidth test from the ATV and see what you are actually getting.
The SoC in the ATV 4K is far and above what you find in most streaming devices and since Apple builds only one or two of everything, they can't pinch pennies for a product that they're selling at a pretty high premium.

· Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
The SoC in the ATV 4K is far and above what you find in most streaming devices and since Apple builds only one or two of everything, they can't pinch pennies for a product that they're selling at a pretty high premium.
Which is why I use the ATV...you get what you pay for.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,866 Posts
If I’m not mistaken the first hr24 was out in 2005.
The HR24 debuted in early 2010 and they stopped building new ones some time ago. The HR20 went through many years of development before it was released in 2006 so the fundamental hardware technology is probably nearing 20 years old. You can't reasonably "enhance" something that far behind.

The survey hints that the client-server model will continue to represent what future there is for DIRECTV DBS hardware.

· Registered
93 Posts
Because the world has moved past 100 mbps. The cost of putting in a gigabit port is basically pennies.
8-31-2022 at 1:32 PM - PDT

@b4pjoe

BUT, The streaming services utilized by DISH and DirecTV equipment DOESN'T utilize anything close to 100Mb right now. Until such time as the equipment requires 'faster' than 100Mb, then there's no need, (in the minds of the makers of the STBs and DVRs), to have Gigabit LAN Ports on said equipment. [EDIT:] I forgot that the NIC and two Wired Ports on the Hopper3 are Gigabit... However; due to conflicts between our Hopper3 and our U-Verse Gateway, we've had to implement the Hopper Internet Connector which is 100Mb. BUT, the Joeys are ONLY 100Mb. However; my comments on the STBs for DISH and DirecTV stand, they only utilize 100Mb Ports right now.

Even our ROKU Ultra 4K Device ONLY utilizes a 100Mb Ethernet Port for Wired LAN connection.

TimeLord04

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
I have an HR54 1 with no WVB.
I assumed the Genie-1 (or HR54) would need to communicate with this new wireless client in the same way as the current wireless Genie Minis do. Requiring a WVB ....

But if the new wireless client is going to communicate through the home WiFi and not via a closed WiFi system as the current wireless Minis do, then that's a different story. ...

· Registered
11,432 Posts
Should be considered a crime to use a 10/100 Ethernet port with the proliferation of GIG internet speeds these days.
Why? What need does it have for greater than 100 Mbit speeds? It can only stream 4K, which requires a fraction of that bandwidth.

This is like complaining that a golf cart doesn't have the capability go 65 mph, when it will be driven around a golf course and not on a highway.

Reactions: P Smith

· Registered
93 Posts
Apple does it for a reason I suppose.
2:27 PM - PDT

Traditionally, Apple has usually been early adopters of new High End Tech. Within a short time, others follow.

I assume, that this is still the case, and since Apple has put Gigabit LAN Ports on their ATV Devices, other
services will follow. How long, will be determined by each individual service provider.

TimeLord04

7 Posts
I think currently if your HR24 dies and they don't have any to replace it with they try to move you to a genie mini and I don't think that should have a commitment.
if you dont mind me asking.. how would they do that.. the mini doesnt have a hard drive.. [unless the new ones do?] - nevermind im dumb.. i thought we were talking about the dvr..

· Premium Member
4,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
if you dont mind me asking.. how would they do that.. the mini doesnt have a hard drive.. [unless the new ones do?] - nevermind im dumb.. i thought we were talking about the dvr..
Yeah they couldn't give you a mini unless you already had a Genie. The issue with replacing an HR24 with a mini is you lose the two tuners from the HR24 and then the mini grabs one from the Genie so you lose 3 tuners overall in that case.

61 - 80 of 700 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.