DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 108 Posts

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,461 Posts
they just got slapped with a 17 million dollar lawsuit for robo calls, so no new hardware just another rate increase:rolleyes::D:ROFLMAO:
The class action lawsuit was filed in March of 2018 so characterizing it as "just got slapped with a lawsuit" is misleading. The new part is that it was settled for the $17 million dollar figure late last week.

26,461 Posts
The amount would be good enough to design new STB !!!
Designing a new STB is only a small part of bringing it to market.

Assuming that a new STB is necessary is probably not that well supported. Extrapolating the current residential approach to cover commercial venues is not particularly sound either.

26,461 Posts
Good eye!

The software revision level is closest to the C41W-100.

The model number suggests a standalone 4K receiver.

Maybe a red herring to see if anyone is watching?

26,461 Posts
I wonder if it is just a rebranding of the unreleased A21KW-500.
The A21KW-500 wouldn't be getting firmware updates from satellite as all signs point to it being a C71K (DIRECTV STREAM Device) alternative and we know how DIRECTV feels about customers having both DIRECTV DBS and DIRECTV STREAM.

26,461 Posts
Yet there are people with both, not to mention that a client that would work with either service has some merit.
That merit washes away when you consider that the DBS product connects via coaxial cable and the STREAM product connects via anything but. Making a single product for both sides would be confusing from a setup and support standpoint as well.

26,461 Posts
As for why this hasn't shown up on the FCC site, maybe it doesn't use any radio frequencies?
This doesn't make sense as it would preclude the W designation along with denying Wi-fi, MoCA and RF remote capability.

26,461 Posts
Just to be clear, I don’t know where the FCC was referenced earlier in threads in regards to this receiver, but UL or a different approved third party testing lab is a completely different animal, and a requirement.
Both approvals are required for any device that uses any kind of RF scheme be it Wi-fi, Bluetooth, MoCA or satellite IF. Any modern DIRECTV STB is almost certain to use at least the 2.4GHz band for the remote.

26,461 Posts
MoCA is irrelevant to FCC approval - it is delivered via coax and if FCC approval is required for stuff delivered via the coax port then SWM would trigger the need for it.
That's not true. Anything that generates an RF signal must be approved whether that signal is destined for shielded cable or not. The FCC is concerned about leakage and resistance to interference as much as they are about the device's intended output. Bare MoCA adapters must have an FCC part 15B approval.

Font Electronic device Electric blue Event Brand

26,461 Posts
Most use IP.
Do you mean TCP/IP using SHEF or did you mean infra-red? I think SHEF being used by most would be a hard sell.

All recent STBs other than the H25 support RF remote but there was an aftermarket dongle to give the H25 RF remote capability (which it certainly should have come with).

26,461 Posts
There are tons of apps that control IP enabled hardware, including Directv's.
Most of the local establishments that I've visited that have DIRECTV use IR remotes. Some they have chained down at the booth and others are kept behind the "bar". Of course none of the establishments around here have anywhere near 30 DIRECTV receivers as DIRECTV doesn't offer Pac-12 requiring that Comcast (or DISH) be part of the mix. YMMV.

26,461 Posts
The rebranded Ospreys only say Directv on them.
The product label (as opposed to the front panel artwork) is an element of the FCC approval so I'm a little surprised that they could tinker with it.

26,461 Posts
Just found this on DTV.com
Another most excellent find. You're on a roll.

[speculation]
It would appear that they're side-stepping the MoCA issue by optionally(?) using a DECA adapter in front of the Gemini. Holy Apple Ecosystem, Batman!

I wonder also if DIRECTV is testing the waters for a Zodiac theme rather than the Genie theme and whether or not this will require the newer MoCA (maybe they rename the Genie 2 as the Gemini to help in that distinction?).
[/speculation]

It does sound an awful lot like a Joey 4 (other than that the Joey 4 has MoCA built-in).

26,461 Posts
So this Gemini device has an ethernet port but you have to have it wired via an ethernet coax adaptor to coax and can’t just use an ethernet cable to your router. But if you use Wi-Fi you only have to connect to your house Wi-Fi.
I had the same thought.

Does DIRECTV allow Whole Home sessions on other than MoCA or WVB connections currently? IIRC, it started out that way suddenly it was abruptly prohibited.

26,461 Posts
The c71 doesn’t have a micro usb.
A case could be made that no device should use micro USB but DIRECTV is clearly implying that adapters are acceptable with this device.

26,461 Posts
I assume it will connect to your video bridge wireless same as any client.
If not for the fact that this client is 4K capable (both DIRECTV and Internet streaming) that DIRECTV hasn't previously seen fit to offer. There is all manner of nasty, bandwidth-consuming things you can do with an Android TV device that you can't do with a Genie Mini so I believe that the need to maintain the exclusivity of the MoCA LAN is only going to increase with increases in bandwidth consumption.

26,461 Posts
The HS-17, HR-54 and HR-44 have a video bridge built in, but it has limited range.
I interpret what Stuart said quite differently (the bolding and larger text is Stuart's doing):
Solid Signal Blog said:
The Wi-Fi on the HR44 and HR54 is only used to get on-demand programming and advanced features. It’s not used for anything else.
So, I’ll say it again, if you have an HR44 or HR54 Genie, you need a wireless video bridge. Simple as that.

61 - 80 of 108 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.