DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
141 - 160 of 700 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
8,058 Posts
11:19 AM - PDT

@HoTat2

We would just have remained on the WiFi of the U-Verse Gateway. For the computers could all have been Wired, except mom's Laptop that resides downstairs. However; she rarely uses the thing; instead, using her iPad or her iPhone - both of which had NO wireless connectivity issues with the U-Verse Gateway.

Likewise, my iPhone and dad's iPhone, and both of our Kindles never had connectivity issues with the U-Verse Gateway, either. So, again, had we had proper Cat-5 or Cat-5e in the walls, the MESH System would have been moot. We could just have installed a couple of Gigabit Switches at the Wired locations in the house and Wired ALL TV Equipment, (STBs and the H3 DVR), without issue. The results would have just about been the same as what we now have. In fact, IF we had had Ethernet in the walls, we'd most likely STILL be on U-Verse U-300 TV Service; as all the U-Verse STBs CAN connect via Ethernet.

TimeLord04
Wow, I'm envious then ...

As your home's construction is indeed a very "RF friendly" environment (at least to WiFi frequencies). That is if only the one WAP built into the gateway would be sufficient to cover your entire house if it were wired for ethernet.

I could never get away with that here, for instance while typing this post right near one of the XT8 nodes in my bedroom at the west end of the house. Looking at my network analyzer app naturally shows a good signal strength in the -25 to -40 dbm range on the 5 GHz band for the nearby node.

But the other two nodes, one in a centrally located dining room (main router/node) and the other in the upstairs hallway are both within 50 ft. of my bedroom. And even with the bedroom door open are way down in the -70 dbm to -85 dbm range.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

· Registered
93 Posts
Wow, I'm envious then ...

As your home's construction is indeed a very "RF friendly" environment (at least to WiFi frequencies). That is if only the one WAP built into the gateway would be sufficient to cover your entire house if it were wired for ethernet.

I could never get away with that here, for instance while typing this post right near one of the XT8 nodes in my bedroom at the west end of the house. Looking at my network analyzer app naturally shows a good signal strength in the -25 to -40 dbm range on the 5 GHz band for the nearby node.

But the other two nodes, one in a centrally located dining room (main router/node) and the other in the upstairs hallway are both within 50 ft. of my bedroom. And even with the bedroom door open are way down in the -70 dbm to -85 dbm range.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
9-5-2022 at 7:54 AM - PDT

@HoTat2

Well, don't get me wrong here.... I didn't say that the U-Verse Gateway's 'reach' was perfect. It's 5GHz Band DOESN'T reach the full West end of the house. For, again, as I stated in an earlier post that my dad's two computers, (one Desktop and one Laptop), DID have trouble keeping wireless connectivity at that West end of the home. It's just that IF we had had Wired Ethernet in the walls, that his computers would have been Wired, thus eliminating the need for the MESH System. Mom's Laptop, IF used more often, would also have had issues IF the home had been Wired, for even though the Family Room is on the East end of the house, the 5GHz Band of the Gateway, (also on the East end of the home), had issues reaching from the upstairs attic down through the attic floor to the Family Room, and the proposed Wired Cable would have been in the East Northeast corner of the room for the TV Equipment - NOT allowing her Laptop to connect Wired.

ONLY the 2.4GHz Band of the Gateway could reach the West end of the home. BUT, the computers kept trying to connect to the 5GHz band, regardless.... No, the Gateway is NOT the perfect solution, either, BUT, in a mostly Wired environment in our home, (again, had we had Wired Ethernet throughout), I don't think dad could have justified the need to spend $450 on the MESH we now have. HOWEVER; because of the GREAT need to have the Wired Ports of the MESH at EVERY TV location, the $450 was more than justified, because it became a requirement and a necessity for ALL TV locations in the home.

[EDIT:] The added benefit of GREATLY improved WiFi 'reach' was just 'gravy' or 'icing on the cake'. For, now, dad's computers connect at the MESH Node in the Master Bedroom on the 5GHz Band without issue. Then, that Node 'Hops' back to the Router Node at the East end of the home, most likely with another 'Hop' at my Bedroom 1's MESH Node, which is in between the Router Node and Master Bedroom.... So, everything has just worked out, as it should, by having the MESH Network in place.

[EDIT 2:] AND, I'm VERY glad to have the MESH Network. However; dad owns the house, and he makes the decisions on how and where his money is spent. If it hadn't been for the basic 'requirement' to have the MESH Network to complete and resolve the TV Equipment issues, he would NOT have justified to himself the need to spend $450 on the MESH 'just to improve the WiFi connectivity' in our home. He's VERY frugal with his money, and he's also a non-technical person. IF something works at all, even if it's NOT perfect, (like the WiFi of the U-Verse Gateway), he'll keep using it until he feels justified in going another, better but more expensive, route.

[EDIT 3:] Had I had the money myself, we would have had MESH over 2 & 1/2 years ago. MOST likely would have been an EERO Pro System. However; now that the cheaper Linksys System is installed, I'm MORE than pleased in how it operates and is maintained by an App on my iPhone. There, also, is a 'Web' Login when I'm at my Hackintosh on Firefox. In the year and a half of operation on the Linksys MESH Network, we've had ONE issue with the Family Room Node. It lost connectivity to the Router Node after a Linksys Firmware update. ALL other Nodes were lit in blue, including the AC-2200 Router Node, BUT when turning the Family Room TV on, there was a message at the top of the TV screen stating, "...Reboot Router." It was then that I noticed the Family Room Node was lit in red.

I rebooted the Family Room Node, first, and found no change.... I then rebooted the AC-2200 and then went back down to the Family Room Node to find it FINALLY lit in blue. The easily visible lights at the top of each Node on Linksys MESH Systems is MUCH better than the EERO Pro Nodes. Setup via the App is virtually identical in the way that both Linksys and EERO are set up at initial installation. Both resolve weak WiFi connectivity pretty evenly.

TimeLord04

· Icon
2,274 Posts
I know the topic has veered off into the benefits of Ethernet and MESH systems. Back on topic, I am hoping this is an attempt to at least salvage and modernize the current satellite system and could be a gateway to some sort of hybrid system (hence the streaming backup option) and to eventually utilize the existing system to promote more steaming and less Sat and eventually make for a seamless transition (using existing equipment) from Sat/wired connection to a streaming option (and be able to keep the Sat option available to those who do not have a reliable streaming option). I also wonder if they've gotten "the word" from Discovery/TW, Paramount, etc. that the linear options for HBO, Showtime and so forth are eventually going away and this preps subscribers to have an all in one box solution for those "channels". I also wonder if this will incorporate a new RSN model, which I believe may eventually move completely to a streaming model as well. Note: This is all pure speculation on my part. But reading the "tea leaves" it all makes sense in what we are seeing. So being able to get your content via both Sat or Streaming and being able to get all your premium content through one box (i.e. the way the Osprey works) is something that would benefit many of us. But we'll see.

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,496 Posts
I am hoping this is an attempt to at least salvage and modernize the current satellite system and could be a gateway to some sort of hybrid system (hence the streaming backup option)
This would require fundamental software changes to the whole STB environment (especially for DVRs) since the current receiver software doesn't have the software flexibility to install apps for (and authenticate with) random streaming services. The processing and memory requirements go up quickly with apps and I don't see much middle ground between where they're at and a Google TV whole home model.

· Hall Of Fame
5,406 Posts
I know the topic has veered off into the benefits of Ethernet and MESH systems. Back on topic, I am hoping this is an attempt to at least salvage and modernize the current satellite system and could be a gateway to some sort of hybrid system (hence the streaming backup option) and to eventually utilize the existing system to promote more steaming and less Sat and eventually make for a seamless transition (using existing equipment) from Sat/wired connection to a streaming option (and be able to keep the Sat option available to those who do not have a reliable streaming option). I also wonder if they've gotten "the word" from Discovery/TW, Paramount, etc. that the linear options for HBO, Showtime and so forth are eventually going away and this preps subscribers to have an all in one box solution for those "channels". I also wonder if this will incorporate a new RSN model, which I believe may eventually move completely to a streaming model as well. Note: This is all pure speculation on my part. But reading the "tea leaves" it all makes sense in what we are seeing. So being able to get your content via both Sat or Streaming and being able to get all your premium content through one box (i.e. the way the Osprey works) is something that would benefit many of us. But we'll see.
From the sounds of it thats what they were looking for.. It will be interesting because there is still such a disparity with there Sat and Streaming TV Contracts..

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,496 Posts
From the sounds of it thats what they were looking for.. It will be interesting because there is still such a disparity with there Sat and Streaming TV Contracts..
Don't you suppose that there must be given the differences between in-home and cloud DVR?

· Icon
2,274 Posts
This would require fundamental software changes to the whole STB environment (especially for DVRs) since the current receiver software doesn't have the software flexibility to install apps for (and authenticate with) random streaming services. The processing and memory requirements go up quickly with apps and I don't see much middle ground between where they're at and a Google TV whole home model.
No doubt, but I think the idea here is to rely less on the hardware than in the past. Perhaps they move into a cloud DVR model (that seems to be more and more common). Obviously the current hardware won't support it, but everyone from cable to OTT systems are moving to that model. Hence why we may see some new, different hardware coming. I do also think they would want to get out of the hardware business if possible (though they might still provide the hardware using the "old" model of you buy it and then you pay extra for support, but only if you want it.) That's how it was when I first started with DirecTV, where you actually bought and owned your receiver and it was up until the H and HR boxes where that changed. There's a lot they can do that might make it more cost effective for them and if they make the ONLY home visit putting a dish up on your roof, then that's probably ideal for them, especially when you consider that they'd much prefer you move to streaming anyway.

· Icon
2,274 Posts
My guess is that will change over time and the next contracts will handle both streaming and Satellite, especially if streaming is where they want to be over the next 10 years.

· Hall Of Fame
5,406 Posts
To be fair you didn’t say it would never happen. You said that my friends were full of crap or something along those lines because they don’t get software before CE group.
I will stand corrected. This was introduced in the last CE cycle Its in the 4/29 release notes • STB Rainfade: Alternate Content.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
if they've gotten "the word" from Discovery/TW, Paramount, etc. that the linear options for HBO, Showtime and so forth are eventually going away
How does that work when the vast majority of consumers still get their TV from traditional providers or antenna? TV fanatic boards such as DbsTalk is hardly reflective of gen pop.

Per Wikipedia, as of 2021 (sorry, latest "easy" summary I could find with minimal effort") - Xfinity, Spectrum, DirecTV & Dish are about 57M. Add in Cox, Altice, Uverse, MediaCom and a few other small traditional providers and that's another 12M = 69M. Same list shows Hulu & YTTV live TV to be only 7M combined. The Wikipedia page is from Q1 2021, so no doubt Hulu & YTTV have gained market share since then, but hardly closing the almost 60M gap.

· Icon
2,274 Posts
How does that work when the vast majority of consumers still get their TV from traditional providers or antenna? TV fanatic boards such as DbsTalk is hardly reflective of gen pop.

Per Wikipedia, as of 2021 (sorry, latest "easy" summary I could find with minimal effort") - Xfinity, Spectrum, DirecTV & Dish are about 57M. Add in Cox, Altice, Uverse, MediaCom and a few other small traditional providers and that's another 12M = 69M. Same list shows Hulu & YTTV live TV to be only 7M combined. The Wikipedia page is from Q1 2021, so no doubt Hulu & YTTV have gained market share since then, but hardly closing the almost 60M gap.
I agree, we aren't there yet. But we are closing in. Here's an example:

If the trend continues, why wouldn't DTW, CBS/Paramount and others start to transition to streaming only (or streaming centric)? If your cable/sat box can bring in streaming content, then what is the need for linear channels in some respects? What do you need 9 HBO channels when you can click on the streaming app on the same box and watch On Demand? (not to mention for some of the streamers, there's the possibility of non-skippable ads). Older folks (like me) are not traditionally what the TV market goes after. It's the younger demos, and they are moving toward streaming.

· Icon
4,491 Posts
I agree, we aren't there yet. But we are closing in. Here's an example:

If the trend continues, why wouldn't DTW, CBS/Paramount and others start to transition to streaming only (or streaming centric)? If your cable/sat box can bring in streaming content, then what is the need for linear channels in some respects? What do you need 9 HBO channels when you can click on the streaming app on the same box and watch On Demand? (not to mention for some of the streamers, there's the possibility of non-skippable ads). Older folks (like me) are not traditionally what the TV market goes after. It's the younger demos, and they are moving toward streaming.
Poor article tbh since she split up cable & broadcast in the fancy visual, but then lumps them together in the text. Then she mixes in Netflix & Amazon in with Live TV. And what's the 9.2% in Other? Sat? Torrenting? Smoke Signals? Carrier Pigeons? Cave Drawings?

Yup, totally agree though that young kids don't watch linear TV.

She does say later on:

Yes, but: Traditional TV, which includes both cable and broadcast consumption, still collectively makes up the majority of TV viewing in the U.S., for now.

141 - 160 of 700 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.