DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I’m helping my friend set up his new Directv receivers and they each come with a slim receiver and an accompanying small device with a coax connector. Before I dive into this I’d like to understand it better. Has anyone seen these? Why the separate boxes? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Beware the Attack Basset
26,462 Posts
Hi all, I’m helping my friend set up his new Directv receivers and they each come with a slim receiver and an accompanying small device with a coax connector.
It is exceedingly unusual for DIRECTV to not require a professional installation. Assuming that the equipment hasn't already been "activated" some efforts on your part may have to be redone by a professional installer so they don't risk being back-charged.

The default DIRECTV setup involves a DVR server (Genie 2 with NO video or audio outputs) accompanied by one or more clients (Genie Minis) at each served TV. Other setups may be used if the installation is for a commercial account.

Some idea of the configuration (including any model numbers you might have) will be helpful in making a better-refined suggestion as to where to start in terms of helping you understand what's going on. For now, suffice it to say that multi-switches and homerun cabling have been replaced by splitters.

· Save the Clock Tower!!
2,256 Posts
Hi all, I’m helping my friend set up his new Directv receivers and they each come with a slim receiver and an accompanying small device with a coax connector. Before I dive into this I’d like to understand it better. Has anyone seen these? Why the separate boxes? Thanks!!

Are these Gemini boxes?

26,462 Posts
Are these Gemini boxes?
I hadn't contemplated that this was about adding a device to an existing system and that the friend is part of the Gemini "targeted loyalty customer" test group. In that case, the connection instructions are given on the DIRECTV website. In that context, it does sound like a Gemini (or more) and the accompanying DECA adapter(s).

Either way, we need more information.

· Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all for your replies. The model numbers are below and a call to DirecTV is required after hookup. I would not give it a second thought but the Ethernet/Coax Adapter is throwing me for a loop. Is the Ethernet necessary at each location? Also, the current setup has three TVs with a main box that is larger than the boxes in bedrooms, etc. The new equipment has three identical boxes. It must not matter which one of these becomes the new “main” box because they are all identical. And does the main box need to be connected first?

Receiver Kits C71KW -400 - WKIT-R
Receiver Boxes C71KW-400
Ethernet/Coax Adapter DCAU1R0-01

Old Box C81K-700

26,462 Posts
The setup is indeed a Gemini client as David Ortiz had suspected.

The DCAUR0-01 is a networking adapter that makes it possible to use DIRECTV's version of MoCA networking should it be required as an alternative to a wireless connection.

The documentation is here:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts