DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check this out, this email was just forwarded to me.

REMEMBER YOU HEARD THIS NEWS FIRST HERE ON DBSTALK.COM!

LOCAL DMA SOFTWARE UPDATE

Folks,

Please note that beginning Tuesday, June 11, a new software release to update the local market packages will begin to roll out to subscribers' receivers. The release will affect the local market packages in two ways:

1 All stations in a local DMA will appear on the EPG regardless of
whether a subscriber has a dish antenna pointed to the correct satellite to receive the service. If a customer selects a channel that requires a second dish but doesn't have one installed, a slate will appear on that channel advising the subscriber to call 1-800-333-DISH (1-800-333-3474) to schedule a second dish install.

2 The release will also provide channel mapping for local stations for subscribers with OpenTV boxes, 3900, 4900, 301, and 501. Subscribers with these receivers can now find their favorite local station on the same channel number as can be found from an off-air signal. For instance, in New York City, WABC is on local channel 7. DISH Network subscribers who live in the New York DMA will also be able to tune to Channel 7 to receive WABC.
Please note the software will be released in stages and not all receivers will be updated on June 11. Barring unforeseen circumstances, we anticipate the project will be completed by the end of July.

Please pass this information along to the appropriate personnel and don't hesitate to contact me should you have any questions.

Thanks,
Marsha

·
Hall Of Fame
5,046 Posts
Cool, this was mass confusion for my wife, I know she will like that. She just couldn't seem to remember our local stations. :)

·
Native American Potentate
8,308 Posts
Of course those of us with a 7200 and a 3700 might wait forever.

·
New Texan
11,465 Posts
Hmmmmm......

At present, in order to enter a 7xx or 8xx channel number, you enter the three digits and wait, or start it with a leading zero. I wonder how that will work with single/double digit numbers.

Also, in DMAs where the station is known by two channel numbers (i.e. Birmingham, AL), are they going to use both channels?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,026 Posts
Originally posted by Geronimo
Of course those of us with a 7200 and a 3700 might wait forever.
How about us with 2000 and 3000 units????

·
Hall Of Fame
1,849 Posts
That is great news for E* subs. It always bugs the crap out of me at my in-laws and I can never find the local channels on their system. I have been spoiled with D* and haven't had to deal with it (and thanks to Steve, I know why). Those who are technically-challenged will really appreciate this.

·
Legend
111 Posts
This is indeed good news for E* subscribers. I know my wife will appreciate finding local channels mapped to the channel numbers she is used to finding them on.

·
Hall Of Fame
5,345 Posts
Since I have a 4000, 7200 and 1000, I won't see this. But DDRio I'm 99.99999% certain that the local mapping will ONLY work for the LOCAL package and not distant packages. Those that have two local packages (not distant networks) by accident from Dish with this upgrade may have a problem! :)

See ya
Tony

·
Hall Of Fame/Supporter
1,068 Posts
So, it seems we Dishplayer owners get the shaft again. :-(

Would have been nice, but now that my wife is used to scanning through 241, 243, 245, etc., getting her back to 2, 4, 5, 7 may be a new issue......

I still can't justify buying two 501s.....any suggestions on whether to think about the 501s now or wait for the 721s?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,117 Posts
I'm happy to hear this. It's a little unexpected, but I look forward to this.

·
Arcane Movie Trivia King
1,806 Posts
i guess not enough folk are calling up dnsc for their free(by next year) second dish...lol

·
AllStar
62 Posts
Originally posted by Z'Loth
Hmmmmm......

At present, in order to enter a 7xx or 8xx channel number, you enter the three digits and wait, or start it with a leading zero. I wonder how that will work with single/double digit numbers.

Also, in DMAs where the station is known by two channel numbers (i.e. Birmingham, AL), are they going to use both channels?
What about the dang Dishplayer?

·
AllStar
67 Posts
Originally posted by Z'Loth
Hmmmmm......

On my 3900, using a leading 0 for 7xx, 8xx, 9xx channel numbers results in the reciver stopping after 3 digits (07x, 08x, 09x) and jumping to channel 100. The only way for me to go directly to 7xx, 8xx, or 9xx channels is to wait after entering the number. Kind of annoying. It's why I've been using the 8xxx numbers for my locals instead.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,637 Posts
On the 6000 a leading 0 takes you to your local digital channels. Channel 30 is 03001 (or 03002 if more than 1 sub channel).

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.