DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a new subscriber to Dish and have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help with.

I have a 506 hooked up to a Sony DAV-C500 home theatre system with is then hooked up to a Toshiba TV. Can the remote be programmed to operate the Sony. I can't seem to get it to operate any of the Sony's functions. Would like it to do volume and power if possible.

Also I have a 301 hooked up to an all in one Panasonic TV/VCR 13inch combo. I also don't seem to be able to get it work either the TV or VCR functions.

One last one - on the 301 I can enter local channel numbers and it tunes to the locals delivered through the satelite. (e.g. channel 8 is the local ABC in Dallas but its something like channel 8400). The 506 doesn't do this - I couldn't seem to find it any where in the menu. Is this a limitation of this model.

Sorry for all the questions - thanks in advance.

· AllStar
57 Posts
I would imagine that you actually mean that you have a 508, as opposed to a 506. The 508 is in the process of taking a software download that will add this new local channel feature. Turn off your 508 each night at bedtime, and someday in the near future you have have your locals in the single/double digit range.

5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You're right - I looked at it and it is a 508. I will make sure it's turned off - thanks

By the way what is the 'Dish' button on the remote. Doesn't seem to do anything other than light up. I the installer had left a manual I would look it up - I will check the Dish support site to see if the manual is online - Thanks again.

· Legend
222 Posts
Nigel.
The "Dish" button is a one button access to Dish Home, the interactive site for Dish. It lets you demo games, it has news and sports, and the instant weather feature among other things. The P165 software download will activate the Dish Home Feature. Then the DISH button will work.

Tim Lones

· Icon
955 Posts
Originally posted by Nigel Hoyle
I am a new subscriber to Dish and have a few questions that I was hoping someone could help with.

I have a 506 hooked up to a Sony DAV-C500 home theatre system with is then hooked up to a Toshiba TV. Can the remote be programmed to operate the Sony. I can't seem to get it to operate any of the Sony's functions. Would like it to do volume and power if possible.

Also I have a 301 hooked up to an all in one Panasonic TV/VCR 13inch combo. I also don't seem to be able to get it work either the TV or VCR functions...

While E* likes to call their remotes "universal" they aren't quite that. They will operate virtually every major brand model of TV and VCR that isn't very old but they won't work many Home Theater receivers and their capability with TV/VCR combos is spotty at best (due to some special codes combo units use.)

Some people report they have had some success with Panasonic TV/VCR combos by doing a code search.

The AUX mode will control the volume of some stereo receivers. But even for that to work you must program the AUX before you program the TV or the AUX button becomes a defacto TV power switch.

Fortunately there are many inexpensive all-in-one universal & learning remotes from ONEFORALL and other companies that will work your whole system including the DISH receivers. However, any that can learn all the PVR functions and work throughout the house like the "Platinum" PVR remote are going to be more expensive.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.