DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had my second visit for the installation of the AT9 dish and the HR20 receiver. And once again they told me they couldn't mount the new dish on the pole I have in my backyard. However, unlike last time. They did allow me to keep the receiver and have it activated.

The installer did tell me that they are coming out with a new satellite dish in a few months that is a lot smaller and lighter then the AT9 and that picks up all 5 satellites. He said it will be about the same size as the 3 lnb dish.

Has anyone else heard of this or does he not know what he was talking about?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
It's not all that smaller, and only marginally lighter

It is the Slimline dish... no eta yet on it's release date, but it is in production and will start to be installed when the stock of AT9's reaches a low point.

· Cool Member
22 Posts
kcn823 said:
The installer did tell me that they are coming out with a new satellite dish in a few months that is a lot smaller and lighter then the AT9 and that picks up all 5 satellites. He said it will be about the same size as the 3 lnb dish.
QUOTE]

From the information that is available for the Slimline dish it will still need a 2" OD pole like the AT9.

· AllStar
60 Posts
I had the 3LNB dish pole mounted in my back yard and the installer of the AT9 took a mounting arm for the ATN9 and cut the top section off right above the bend and put it right down over the existing pole there was enough taper to the arm that it fit snuggly over the existing pole. When he placed the dish on it and tightened the bolts down it snugged up everything and nothing moves.

I was skeptical that this would hold and questioned the installer he told me to try to move it so I did and it would not budge. We had some pretty strong winds here over the weekend and my signal strength is still in the upper 90's.

So it is possible to mount the dish on the existing pole for the 3LNB dish.

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
99, 101, 103, 110, 119

· Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,882 Posts
Got my new AT9 installed last Saturday and had the same issue as my pole is only 1 and 1/2 inches. So I made a wood splint and twist tied it to the top of the pole and he was able to tightly slip it right on and tighten it right down. I can make a better solution later but no way I was letting him leave without installing the dish due to that. At first he didn't really want to but I insisted and since I've always installed all my own stuff I think he felt confident I wouldn't be calling back months from now claiming a bad install. :)

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I wish I knew that I need a pole that was 2 inches wide last week before I replace the 4x4x8 I had in the ground with the pole I have now. And if the Slimline dish is going to need the same I guess I better replace it now before the ground gets to cold.

· Banned
614 Posts
kcn823 said:
I just had my second visit for the installation of the AT9 dish and the HR20 receiver. And once again they told me they couldn't mount the new dish on the pole I have in my backyard. However, unlike last time. They did allow me to keep the receiver and have it activated.

Has anyone else heard of this or does he not know what he was talking about?
Picture of Slimline attached:

Attachments

· AllStar
60 Posts
Pretty much the same thing as cutting the mast tube down and sliding it over the existing 1 1/2" pole. The mast arm comes with the dish and cuts easily with a recepricating saw, so you can save $20.00 plus shipping. The mast arm is slightly tapered and a few hits with a rubber mallet firmly seated it in place.

· Cool Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I wish my installer suggested something like that. But he barely spoke English. And the guys I had a couple of weeks ago looked like Sanford & Son and weren't that helpful. I'm probably better off buying the adapter and having it ready. And I'll also wait for the Slimline dish, it looks a little better.

I'm just glad the installers allowed me to keep the HR20, because the installers a couple of weeks ago said they couldn't. I'm using it mainly as a backup for my hdtivo.

· Legend
125 Posts
Fyi Guys, got my install yesterday and it came with the new "Slimline" dish, I wasn't aware that anew dish was already on its way and asked the installer about the different LNB arraingement and he explained to me it was the newest dish, and they had been installing them for the last or so:grin:

· Registered
12,596 Posts
BillPear said:
Fyi Guys, got my install yesterday and it came with the new "Slimline" dish, I wasn't aware that anew dish was already on its way and asked the installer about the different LNB arraingement and he explained to me it was the newest dish, and they had been installing them for the last or so:grin:
Are you sure it's the new Slimline dish? Can you post a photo? I didn't think any were actually available yet.

· Beer Aficionado
1,469 Posts
Like I said on another thread I just received the HR20-700 today as a replacement for the HR10-250. D* mailed it directly to me with no install, so I will still have my 3LNB dish. How do I go about getting the AT9 or the Slimline when MPEG4 HD locals come to my area as I just found out they are later this year? I shouldn't have to do too much begging on that one, should I?

· Lifetime Achiever
30,090 Posts
harsh said:
Those are Echostar satellites, pilgrim.
Thanks for clarifying that.... I thought someone just had a bad typing day.

· Mentor
41 Posts
FYI-

Got the new "Slimline" dish with my HR20-700 installation on September 30th.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.