DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

After a year of waiting and trying to get DTV, I finally had it installed on Saturday. I moved from Miami to the Austin, TX area last year and wanted to follow the FIns. Unfortunately myhouse was new-construction and pre-wired for coax and a wiring closet. Due to where the closet was located running new lines into would have been expensive and require opening walls.

The installer cameout and said the SWMline was usually only installed in a house with 5 tuners or more (I only had 4 turner... 1 HDDVR, 1HD, an 1SD). he said I would need to get another DVR. I offered to split the cost of the DVR with him if he installed the SWMline, so I tipped him $50 and he did the install.

So far I am very happy, the DH quality is AWESOME! I had Uverse prior to this and all the DH channels are nice. Can't wait for football season!

Thanks to everyone here who has helped and answered all my questions.

· Godfather
367 Posts
djneph said:
Hey Everyone,

After a year of waiting and trying to get DTV, I finally had it installed on Saturday. I moved from Miami to the Austin, TX area last year and wanted to follow the FIns. Unfortunately myhouse was new-construction and pre-wired for coax and a wiring closet. Due to where the closet was located running new lines into would have been expensive and require opening walls.

The installer cameout and said the SWMline was usually only installed in a house with 5 tuners or more (I only had 4 turner... 1 HDDVR, 1HD, an 1SD). he said I would need to get another DVR. I offered to split the cost of the DVR with him if he installed the SWMline, so I tipped him $50 and he did the install.

So far I am very happy, the DH quality is AWESOME! I had Uverse prior to this and all the DH channels are nice. Can't wait for football season!

Thanks to everyone here who has helped and answered all my questions.
I can see this working out in a way you're not going to like. If this was an HSP tech, he can't directly offset the cost of equipment. He may have just added the dvr to your work order at $99, and pocketed the $50.

· Hall Of Fame
3,682 Posts
Teronzhul said:
I can see this working out in a way you're not going to like. If this was an HSP tech, he can't directly offset the cost of equipment. He may have just added the dvr to your work order at $99, and pocketed the $50.
Yeah not sure about that one either.

SWMLine is getting out there and was told that by month's end it will be standard in at least one Mastec area.

· Icon
647 Posts
Teronzhul said:
Oh, I thought the OP was saying that he tipped the guy $50 for installing the SWM without forcing him to get another DVR. Meaning the OP didn't actually get a DVR, he just got the installer to install the SWM. Heck, I don't even know if that's even possible, that's just how I read it.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
miketorse said:
Oh, I thought the OP was saying that he tipped the guy $50 for installing the SWM without forcing him to get another DVR. Meaning the OP didn't actually get a DVR, he just got the installer to install the SWM. Heck, I don't even know if that's even possible, that's just how I read it.
Thats how it happened, I have only one HDDVR, HD reciever, and SD Reciever. That's what my original order was for. Nothing new was added to my account. When I called DTV and Mastec I was told I needed atleast two DVRs before they would consider using the SWMline.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.