DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Godfather
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night while watching CNN at about 8:00 pm the picture suddenly got glitchy...almost like rain fade, but it was perfectly clear.

Whats wierd is an error message appeared that I have never seen before. About 1/4 of the way from the top, a single line appeared in a bar across the screen reading "Poor signal quality"....then switched to "Unstable signal".

This did NOT look like any R15 error message I have ever seen. No graphic component....almost like a DOS error message suddenly appeared in a single text line in Windows.

My first thought was that it was a message from my TV, and I thought "great....after 15 years my NEC TV is finally dying"....however when I pressed 'guide' the message was minimized along with live TV into the window. If the TV was adding it, I would have expected it to stay splashed across the guide.

After a couple of minutes, things returned to normal.

Anybody ever see this before?

·
AllStar
79 Posts
I had the same exact message but was watching msnbc. An hour later, I had sound but NO video at all. Changed channels and still NO video. Played a recorded program and NO video. Rebooted the box and video returned. Now the video will not pause 90% of the time whether recorded or live tv.

·
Mentor
42 Posts
I also was watching CNN at the same time and had the exact same message as you described. We were having rain at the time, but I expected it to say searching for signal as it has in the past. This message came up on my unit that is an old Directv (non-DVR) box, so I went in the living room where I have an R-15 to see if it had a message and it was on my local CBS and it had a picture and no message.

·
Godfather
325 Posts
I was watching CNN on my HR10-250 and had the exact same thing happen. I sort of thought it was some kind of transmission problem. It lasted for about 5 minutes or so and then went away completely.

·
Godfather
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm.....maybe it was a satellite uplink/transimission sort of error message if many of saw it and wasn't specific to the R15.

Sounds like it was actually in the 'broadcast stream'....

·
Mentor
42 Posts
wohlfie - Thanks for starting this post, so I know others had the same problem. I was thinking it might be a problem with the one LNB, as my dish is old (1995).

·
Legend
169 Posts
wohlfie said:
Hmmm.....maybe it was a satellite uplink/transimission sort of error message if many of saw it and wasn't specific to the R15.

Sounds like it was actually in the 'broadcast stream'....
Same thing I was thinking. I remember a few times my locals were pixelating and stuttering really bad but the weather was sunny and I was getting signal in the 90s the whole time. I talked to someone and they said what can happen is if the weather is bad where the locals are getting uplinked to the satellite then similar symptoms can occur. Come to find out there was a massive thunderstorm that went through the city where the locals originated and that was the cause of the problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.