DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The below quotes were posted in the "Someone must have had these problems before" thread. This new "feature" was never posted in the Hr20/21 release notes.
Are there other new "features" that weren't posted?

Incog-Neato said:
Doesn't the new software download (254) have an option to select 1 or 2 tuners? I believe I just saw that when running through "repeat satellite setup."

Edit: Yes it does. First screen. Dropdown selection box for 1 or 2 tuners.
Tom Robertson said:
VERY new feature. :)

Good luck!

(And welcome to the forums! :welcome_s

· Registered
14,213 Posts
It actually is in the release notes, but it's easy to overlook because there were so many items listed.

It's the last of the three bullets below dealing with Satellite Setup

In the post [post=1680357]HR20-100/HR20-700: 0x0254[/post]:
  • Improvements in Satellite Setup for SWM
  • Improvements in Satellite Setup for multiswitch support
  • Improvements in Satellite Setup for changing from one or two tuner installation selections

· Good night dear Smoke... love you & "got your butt
5,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Drew2k said:
It actually is in the release notes, but it's easy to overlook because there were so many items listed.

It's the last of the three bullets below dealing with Satellite Setup

In the post [post=1680357]HR20-100/HR20-700: 0x0254[/post]:
[/list]
Crud..you're correct. I even checked the release notes before I started the thread. I either was still :zzz:eek:r I need more :icon_cof: or better eyesight:new_Eyecr.
Thanks Drew2k.

So..well then..never mind.:lol:

· Hall Of Fame
1,815 Posts
Mike the MJB said:
How can I switch between the two tuners? I loved that feature on my Tivo.
I believe this thread is not about dual live buffers (which we would all like to have), but rather about the ability to set up the device to only use one tuner, such as if you have only one sat cable.

· Hall Of Fame
4,873 Posts
Every time you change channels you switch tuners if both are connected.

If you doubt this, hit Record on one channel, and you'll surely be on the other tuner when you change channels.

Of course, you are probably talking about two buffered live channels, and that you do not have...

· Legend
131 Posts
It's about time they added this feature to the setup. I fought this during a camping trip where I brought my HR20 and could only hook up one cable to it. It kept trying to use both tuners to download the schedule. This will come in handy if that ever happens again.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
Sirshagg said:
It's also especially usefull if you have 5 DVR's connected to a SWM-8 and want to control which two only get one tuner.
Fixed your post. :)

I had to read it a few times to figure it out, as anyone with an SWM-5 (like me) would only have one DVR to configure for one-tuner only ...

· Legend
121 Posts
I've had 2 (of 4) DVRs hooked up with only one cable for a couple years with no issues - what exactly is the benefit to this feature? Is there any reason I should go back through the guided setup to select only 1 tuner?

· Godfather
286 Posts
tkrandall said:
I believe this thread is not about dual live buffers (which we would all like to have), but rather about the ability to set up the device to only use one tuner, such as if you have only one sat cable.
bradfjoh said:
You can't.
Rats! I was going to ask about this. I too loved that feature. I know I could just go ahead and record one program then go about changing channels but I always loved just pausing a program and switching tuners.

· Registered
14,213 Posts
shelland said:
I've had 2 (of 4) DVRs hooked up with only one cable for a couple years with no issues - what exactly is the benefit to this feature? Is there any reason I should go back through the guided setup to select only 1 tuner?
Are you using an SWM multiswitch with youre receivers? If not, you're probably OK. The real need to specify the number ot tuners comes in when you're using an SWM switch. For simplicy, I'll use the SWM5, ,which supports 5 tuners. If you have three HR20 DVRs hooked up to that switch, with one line each, each DVR will think it has two tuners, but you don't have support for 6 tuners on the SWM5 - only 5 tuners. If all 6 tuners try to access 6 different transponders, one of the tuners on one of the DVRs is going to lose out.

The software upgrade lets you pick which DVR you want to specify as having only one tuner, so there would be no problems: three DVRs, 5 tuners, SWM5. This extends to the SWM8 multiswitch as well.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.