DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, its been awhile since this problem has come up, but remember when you would set your SD aspect ratio to "crop" and it would super-stretch the image? Well, since the new GUI the problem has returned in reverse. When I'm watching a show in SD that is letterboxed, I set the format to "crop" and it works until the first trick play. As soon as I skip or FF, the picture goes back to letterboxed (original format) but the HR20 still says it is in "cropped" mode. I have to cycle through the four settings to get back to cropped picture.

·
Broadcast Engineer
4,153 Posts
I would not risk getting hopes too high.

It seems that the problem is that the HD GUI needs to be rescaled back to SD for the analog outputs. This was not a problem with the SD GUI because it was already SD and could be overlayed without a rescale. It is also not a problem if the main output is set to 480 because then that rescaler can pull double duty feeding both outputs with 480.

But when the main outputs are set to a HD resolution, the SD outputs need an independent method available to downscale the HD GUI. And for legacy STBs if they do not have a separate hardware rescaler available to do this built in, which they very likely do not, it would be very hard to fix that in a software up rev.

·
Super Moderator
42,754 Posts
TomCat said:

It seems that the problem is that the HD GUI needs to be rescaled back to SD for the analog outputs. This was not a problem with the SD GUI because it was already SD and could be overlayed without a rescale. It is also not a problem if the main output is set to 480 because then that rescaler can pull double duty feeding both outputs with 480.

But when the main outputs are set to a HD resolution, the SD outputs need an independent method available to downscale the HD GUI. And for legacy STBs if they do not have a separate hardware rescaler available to do this built in, which they very likely do not, it would be very hard to fix that in a software up rev.
I'm sure your trying to be helpful here, but my experience with both the old and new, and what's in test, just doesn't jive/track with this.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TomCat said:

Would this matter even if I'm only using a component connection? Would it help if I swich off native and just leave it at 1080i?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,670 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
islesfan said:
Would this matter even if I'm only using a component connection? Would it help if I swich off native and just leave it at 1080i?
Actually, it doesn't. I tried it, and it still squeezes the picture as soon as I trickplay.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
I know that some folks have had luck in setting their tv's own aspects settings to compensate for this, but obviously it's very dependent on the tv whether or not you can do this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.