DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Legend
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The top portion of new guide is now cropped. This makes time and other info unreadable unless I switch to 480i. Is there a way to correct, I have a Mits 55809 Rear Projection and I'm wondering if it's overscan.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,965 Posts
You'll need to adjust the TV to show the whole frame. That's where the material is being lost.

This is usually done in some manner of technician's calibration menu that you have to execute multiple obscure button presses to get into.

·
Godfather
286 Posts
hilmar2k said:
Wow, that's a ton of overscan.
That does seem like a lot. I know my TV has a "Dot by dot" and then various forms of "stretch" You want dot by dot since that will show whatever is being broadcast but even on "smart stretch" I don't lose that much guide info.

·
Legend
122 Posts
The issue here is that the TV may actually be within normal overscan limits for NTSC and even ATSC standards. However newer TVs don't need as much or any overscan, and the UI designers don't seem to always take it into account. There are safe areas that should be maintained to avoid this very problem - basically designing things so everything is visible and not cut-off in the worst case scenario.

One possibility is there are some capacitors showing their age that need to be replaced, and then everything readjusted.

So, basically you can:
Live with it
Try to adjust things yourself
Have a TV tech do it
Go through the TV and replace any marginal and failed capacitors and readjust everything
Have a TV tech do this last one
Finally, you can use it as an excuse to replace it with a new and possibly larger TV.

hilmar2k said:
Wow, that's a ton of overscan.
Not necessarily on a CRT based TV.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.