DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pardon my complete ignorance as I have only been a D* subscriber for a month now and was just recently turned onto your website's treasure trove of information. I finally got sick and tired of cable making signal excuses for 18 months (I'd say that was most definitely patience) and made the move to satellite. I have an HR20S (which I now know is a "dreaded" unit) and two D11 units in bedrooms. The D11 seem to be fine so far, but not the HDDVR...

I've researched around the site and I know these answers are most likely posted somewhere I haven't looked yet, so I'd appreciate and hlep and/or links.

First...my fiance already wants to cancel due to the fact she never can tell what channels we have. We have a good chuck of their offered programming but we still have to wade through a bunch of BS every time we check the guide. I've set the custom guide to supposedly only show what we actually subscribe to, yet when I do this it cuts out many of the channels that we actually receive. Is there a feasible fix for this? Is D* simply not sending the correct account info to my box from hell?

Next...I've had to reset my unit 6 times so far in a month. Is this more/less/the same as the rest of you? I've been involved in high-end electronics for years now and this failure rate just seems to be amazingl unacceptable....especially considering the fact I shelled out $299 for a damn "leased" product!! Has this problem been formally acknowledged by D* and are they planning a firmware fix?

Last...assuming I can actually get this joke of a system to work, I'd like to archive some HD live music events on DVD. If I find a way to capture the recordings I have on the DVR, will I be able to play back an HD picture through a non-HD DVD player? I have an XBOX 360 and an older Pioneer DVD player.

As I already said....I'm sorry for bringing up info that I'm sure has been beaten to death over the past few months. I'd just appreciate any help as my tiny brain is going into overload reading page after page of new info!

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
First... You can setup your favorites... that will help filter out the GUIDE listings, but it won't help for searches. Yes, DirecTV is working on getting the Channels-I-Receive working on the HR20... bu tit is going to be a while.

Next... Yes, they are planning a firmware fixed.

Last... Unless you invest in some expensive Analog HD Capture equipment, there is no way to archive the HD versions of the programs. You can output the 480i to a DVD-Recorder.

·
The Shadow Knows!
37,060 Posts
Earl Bonovich said:
First... You can setup your favorites... that will help filter out the GUIDE listings, but it won't help for searches. Yes, DirecTV is working on getting the Channels-I-Receive working on the HR20... bu tit is going to be a while.

Last... Unless you invest in some expensive Analog HD Capture equipment, there is no way to archive the HD versions of the programs. You can output the 480i to a DVD-Recorder.
FWIW, I use a Lite-On DVD player fed via S-Video from the HR20. The results are excellent. Of course it's not HD, but when outputting from an HD recording widescreen, the results are very similar to a commercially produced DVD. I'm quite pleased with it.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Earl Bonovich said:

Earl...flat out...you rock!

I'm on hold with D* right now getting the national HD waivers going and they are going to send out another HR20. Is it possible that a new unit will help with the problems or is this just how things will be until a decent firware is released?

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
djshawn said:
Earl...flat out...you rock!

I'm on hold with D* right now getting the national HD waivers going and they are going to send out another HR20. Is it possible that a new unit will help with the problems or is this just how things will be until a decent firware is released?
IMHO... it is all about the software.
Replacing the hardware won't ultimately make a difference.

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well...I have to call back in when I'm actually at home in front of the unit. They want to doublecheck the software version I currently have. The phone tech guy really downplayed the black screen issue though. He acted like it's a rarity. According to the buzz on this site it sure isn't a rarity...

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
djshawn said:
Well...I have to call back in when I'm actually at home in front of the unit. They want to doublecheck the software version I currently have. The phone tech guy really downplayed the black screen issue though. He acted like it's a rarity. According to the buzz on this site it sure isn't a rarity...
I'll tell you now, you have 0x10b

Just hang tight for the next software release.
Be sure to subscribe to the "notify" me thread at the top of this forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.