DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Godfather
299 Posts
The news comes a day after DirecTV's announcement at the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas that it has HD carriage agreements with 60 cable networks. DirecTV cited USA, Sci Fi, FX, CNN, Cartoon Network, TBS and several other channels among the brands with agreements.
It's basically going to take at least Scifi and CNN to get me to subscribe to the HD pack, and I'd be happier if Comedy Central was there too. At least it sounds like progress is being made.

· Legend
163 Posts
koralis said:
It's basically going to take at least Scifi and CNN to get me to subscribe to the HD pack, and I'd be happier if Comedy Central was there too. At least it sounds like progress is being made.
yea, and even if they do. do you think there will be HD content, or just HD signal with a lot of stretch.

e..b

· Legend
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eatonjb said:
yea, and even if they do. do you think there will be HD content, or just HD signal with a lot of stretch.

e..b
I think Sci-Fi is mostly HD content, I know BSG, Firefly (when they show it) and I think Stargate is in HD. My big question is CNN, I am sure that the cameras used for news are not HD, in fact it seems the HDNews channel has only limited HD content for thier news, of course some of the affiliates are slowly going HD, so more news could be.

· Hall Of Fame
2,423 Posts
koralis said:
Yes life would be sooooo much sweeeeeter w/ South Park in HD!:lol: Ok so they have a lot of other shows and movies on CC but somehow all I could think of was Kenny being killed in HD! :lol:

· Super Moderator
54,219 Posts
Some of these networks would do better at ED than HD. Higher definition TV if there is not room for the highest definition TV.

· Hall Of Fame
3,099 Posts
I wouldn't mind all the sd channels in ED instead of just 480i in digital. They would look sharper than the present picture and the hd receiver could upconvert the picture to 1080i too.

· 622 Tips & Trick Keeper
9,883 Posts
Boy that would be nice if all the SD channels were ED.... Good candidates for ED channels in a HD world would be some of the cartoon stuff. Who needs to watch pokemon in HD.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
mraroid said:
I would pay what ever DN wanted to charge me if I could get Sci-Fi in HD. Toss in Comedy Central and I would be over joyed.

mraroid
What if they wanted $300 per month for SciFi in HD?

I'm guessing you really wouldn't just pay anything for it... :)

Meanwhile, Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are shown on UniversalHD regularly. So is Monk. I find it hard to believe that USA/SciFi would launch HD channels and have a full schedule this year when they can't provide enough stuff today to the UniversalHD channel.

They could be showing Stargate in HD today if they wanted... but for some reason they are not.

· Hall Of Fame
3,055 Posts
HDMe said:
Meanwhile, Battlestar Galactica and Firefly are shown on UniversalHD regularly. So is Monk. I find it hard to believe that USA/SciFi would launch HD channels and have a full schedule this year when they can't provide enough stuff today to the UniversalHD channel.
Problem is they don't show the shows in HD until months after it airs on SciFi, at least in the case of BSG. I personally can't wait that long after it comes on initially just to see it in HD.

· Godfather
299 Posts
HDMe said:
They could be showing Stargate in HD today if they wanted... but for some reason they are not.
They don't have a venue for it now, but are thinking ahead for syndication and DVD box sets. Yes yes.. universal HD. Unfortunately, they've made the decision not to cannibalize Sci-Fi viewership by showing the material in a timely fashion and no one wants to watch a new episode months after people have stopped discussing it.

· Premium Member
21,658 Posts
I watch shows to enjoy them, not so much for discussion with others... That said, I watch the new shows on SciFi rather than wait for UniversalHD to get them because I want to watch them now.

On the other hand, I never go to movie theaters... Instead I make note of movies that sound good, and wait for them to be released on DVD months later before I watch... so discussion with others is not a big factor.

My main point was, they could be showing Stargate in HD on UniversalHD... nothing but them preventing that... and since they don't use UniversalHD to its fullest by showing stuff concurrently with the SD new broadcasts... I have no reason to believe they are terribly motivated to launch SciFi, USA HD channels this year.

Considering right now they are showing old upconvert stuff on UniversalHD instead of their new shows that they already have the rights to show... why would they invest more money in another HD channel that they wouldn't have enough stuff to air?

I would love to see HD versions of those channels if they were really HD and really had good content... but I just don't see that happening this year based on how the companies have been operating thus far.

· Legend
200 Posts
"The satellite provider plans to launch 100 HD channels by the end of the year as part of its strategy to expand its HD offerings."

Is this serious? DTV adding 100 HD channels? :eek2: Or am I misunderstanding it?:confused:

· Hall Of Fame
1,295 Posts
He Save Dave said:
"The satellite provider plans to launch 100 HD channels by the end of the year as part of its strategy to expand its HD offerings."

Is this serious? DTV adding 100 HD channels? :eek2: Or am I misunderstanding it?:confused:
Keyword being "plans".

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.