DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Lifetime Achiever
30,092 Posts
"Basically"..

Once the new Sats are up... you are going to see a LOT of new HD stations available.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,420 Posts
Elistan98 said:
he web site reports that DIRECTV will launch the high-def National Geographic in "early 2007," although no month or date was given.

Well there is one of the new channels. Stay Tuned for further updates.
For the satellite launch dates, the months of April and June are currently being tossed about. What that translates to in terms of new capacity: I'd say that October 2007 is optimistic.

I would guess that National Geographic HD is high on the list as Dish has had it in their Gold and Platinum packages since June 9, 2006. Hopefully, DirecTV will make it available (not necessarily free) to anyone who has an MPEG4 receiver and not just the top tiers. I suspect by that time, there will be some sort of partitioning in the HD offerings.

·
Godfather
270 Posts
I'm thinking that it will be available shortly after football season is over, on an MPEG2 channel. No point in announcing specific channels if you can't make them available for 6 months or more.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
old7 said:
I'm thinking that it will be available shortly after football season is over, on an MPEG2 channel. No point in announcing specific channels if you can't make them available for 6 months or more.
Why do people think more HD will happen after NFL-ST/SF ends? Don't they notice that D* shuts down all the PPV's and TNT-HD plus the active channels to make room for the games? There is no room until D10 goes active.

·
Impossible Dreamer
5,525 Posts
RAD said:
Why do people think more HD will happen after NFL-ST/SF ends? Don't they notice that D* shuts down all the PPV's and TNT-HD plus the active channels to make room for the games? There is no room until D10 goes active.
Agreed. Sunday Ticket is not using free bandwidth that is available for other channels.

I guess I'd never say never, as I was very surprised when they added TNT-HD last year...but there really isn't any room for new MPEG2 HD channels AFAIK. Unless we get "HD-Extremely Lite" ;)

·
Godfather
271 Posts
I noted last night in an add that D*TV is selling the ESPN Basketball package ESPN Full Court as HD? I have not seen this on the website and not been able to confirm it from a CSR but I have seen HD or High Definition under the Full Court Logo.

Any chance that new bird will be plugged in by January? I have watched lots of HD Discovery Channel and NFL ST but am hopeing to get more HD programing for my HD$$$. At the moment with 27 HD locals thanks to OTA I have more HD in the mid\small Indy market area than on the dish most days.

And HD Oprah still does not work for me.... :-(

Any ideas on when that bird will fly?

·
Hall Of Fame
13,447 Posts
RAD said:
They don't shut down all of the PPV channels. I've never done any actual counting, but I do believe that there is a good chunk of bandwidth that is specifically reserved for NFLST. It's not all taken away from other channels.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Jeremy W said:
They don't shut down all of the PPV channels. I've never done any actual counting, but I do believe that there is a good chunk of bandwidth that is specifically reserved for NFLST. It's not all taken away from other channels.
Yea, sorry, they don't shut all of them down, just the vast majority of them.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
Milkman said:
Everything I have heard has said that the satellite is up there already, and is doing nothing while they get everything ready down here. Was I mistaken?
There are four satellites that make up D*'s grand HD plans. Spaceway 1 & 2 are already in operation and are providing all the local into local HD and regional HR sports channel coverage. These two satellites have only spot beam transponders on them so they can't provide CONUS coverage to add nationwide HD channels.

DirecTV 10 and 11, which will be launched in 2007 have both spot beam and CONUS transponders on them which will allow for additional LIL HD cities to be added plus the often mentioned capacity for 150 national HD channels.

Hope that helps.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Milkman said:
Everything I have heard has said that the satellite is up there already, and is doing nothing while they get everything ready down here. Was I mistaken?
Probably mistaken. DTV has SATs that provide MPEG4 signals but all are on spot beams. They are using those SATs to provide MPEG4 local HD channels.

What is needed for additional HD national content are SATs that provide MPEG4 CONUS coverage, meaning it covers the entire continental US. Those are not scheduled to be launched until April-July 2007. After launch there's a time for testing before the SAT is handed over to DTV for their testing and eventually turning the SAT on. Earliest one of these will be turned on??????? I'd guess 3q2007.

Question to the knowledgeable SAT guys. With the launch, deployment and activation of the new DTV SATS...are these new SATs limited to MPEG4 only. Or could they also broadcast HD MPEG2 national signals? As I always state, in my little mind, where is the requirement that the yet to be launched SATs can only broadcast a MPEG4 signal?

New CONUS SATs are up and running in 2007. With all of that bandwidth, why couldn't DTV add national HD channels in both MPEG4 (new crappy DVRs) and also MPEG2 servicing existing HR10 DTivos.

·
Godfather
367 Posts
Wolffpack said:
Question to the knowledgeable SAT guys. With the launch, deployment and activation of the new DTV SATS...are these new SATs limited to MPEG4 only. Or could they also broadcast HD MPEG2 national signals? As I always state, in my little mind, where is the requirement that the yet to be launched SATs can only broadcast a MPEG4 signal?
Ok, the satellites don't specifically broadcast "MPEG4" or "MPEG2." They retransmit data. That data could take just about any form they wanted. The current satellites could broadcast MPEG4 streams if Directv so chose to change what they were transmitting, and if they really wanted to they could use the new satellites to broadcast MPEG2. The problem of course would be that none of the current SD receivers can decode MPEG4 streams. The hardware required is slightly more sophisticated as the software decoding process requires more resources.

The big difference between the old satellites and the new satellites is the transmission frequency. The old sats are Ku band (~12ghz) and the new sats are Ka band (~20ghz).

Now the real question is whether or not the older receivers could be setup to receive signals from the Ka band satellites. The step down frequency from the dish's lnb to the coax is different as well. Ku goes from 12.2-12.7ghz to 950-1450 mhz. This is the 500mhz frequency band that older receivers find their signals in, and where currently all of Directvs mpeg2 programming resides. The Ka band is stepped down to 2 locations (250-750mhz and 1650-2150mhz). SOME mpeg2 receivers can see 1650-2150, the R15 for instance has the ability to accept stacked signals. It is impossible to know which and how many receivers out there have hardware to support 1650-2150, and if they could have a software update to change how the hardware deals with those signals.

Could it be done? Maybe. But its too complicated and would likely only work on select receivers. The Ka sats will stay mpeg4 and will be used only for newer HD receivers that can accept those signals.

I don't know if this helped or not, but I tried.

·
Registered
8,023 Posts
Would it be possible for them to add one or more HD channels on the spaceway birds in mpeg4 to those markets that have HD locals? Would be better than nothing.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
RobertE said:
Would it be possible for them to add one or more HD channels on the spaceway birds in mpeg4 to those markets that have HD locals? Would be better than nothing.
From a customer relations standpoint that probably wouldn't go over very well. Oh, you can get National Geo HD if you live in Chicago but can't if you live in Oklahoma City, that would make a few folks upset.

·
Banned
4,642 Posts
Teronzhul said:
Ok, the satellites don't specifically broadcast "MPEG4" or "MPEG2." They retransmit data. That data could take just about any form they wanted. The current satellites could broadcast MPEG4 streams if Directv so chose to change what they were transmitting, and if they really wanted to they could use the new satellites to broadcast MPEG2. The problem of course would be that none of the current SD receivers can decode MPEG4 streams. The hardware required is slightly more sophisticated as the software decoding process requires more resources.

The big difference between the old satellites and the new satellites is the transmission frequency. The old sats are Ku band (~12ghz) and the new sats are Ka band (~20ghz).

Now the real question is whether or not the older receivers could be setup to receive signals from the Ka band satellites. The step down frequency from the dish's lnb to the coax is different as well. Ku goes from 12.2-12.7ghz to 950-1450 mhz. This is the 500mhz frequency band that older receivers find their signals in, and where currently all of Directvs mpeg2 programming resides. The Ka band is stepped down to 2 locations (250-750mhz and 1650-2150mhz). SOME mpeg2 receivers can see 1650-2150, the R15 for instance has the ability to accept stacked signals. It is impossible to know which and how many receivers out there have hardware to support 1650-2150, and if they could have a software update to change how the hardware deals with those signals.

Could it be done? Maybe. But its too complicated and would likely only work on select receivers. The Ka sats will stay mpeg4 and will be used only for newer HD receivers that can accept those signals.

I don't know if this helped or not, but I tried.
Good info. What I was looking for. How it helps? I don't know. But interesting.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
25,420 Posts
PoitNarf said:
There's always those pesky DNS feeds. Getting rid of those would free up some bandwidth ;)
Up until the Echostar-NPS deal, DirecTV was betting the farm on taking over DNS customers from Dish Network. They can't very well off them now that they've managed to wrestle a few customers away.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.