DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Icon
324 Posts
Quite honestly I have watched some of the HD news stuff. (I have Directv and Dish HD)
All they really do is use the additional real estate for crawls and additional graphics.
Not really much true 16:9 HD content.
Are you talking about Fox News HD, or Fox Business News HD? because i think PTN was talking about Fox News

·
Icon
687 Posts
kal915 said:
Are you talking about Fox News HD, or Fox Business News HD? because i think PTN was talking about Fox News
HD news in general. CNN HD, Fox Business News HD,and CNBC HD as well as Weather Channel HD.

It's smoke and mirrors. They take a 4:3 SD picture and shove it over to one side and fill the extra real estate with graphics.
I'm currently watching in studio weather channel and it has bars on the side!
FBNCHD has a 4:3 SD picture shoved to the left with Stocks on the right.

·
Legend
119 Posts
ssmith10pn said:
HD news in general. CNN HD, Fox Business News HD,and CNBC HD as well as Weather Channel HD.

It's smoke and mirrors. They take a 4:3 SD picture and shove it over to one side and fill the extra real estate with graphics.
CNN has some of their premier shows in HD.

AC360 immediately comes to mind.

Where any of these news channels are trailing the most is when they interview somebody remotely (which is pretty much always) they almost never get the HD treatment.

What was the point of WGN America? I've seen one thing in HD, a Cubs game the other day. When ever a movie comes on in the evening it's back to black bars on both sides and big F. U. to everyone thinking they were actually going to get HD out of it.

·
Hall Of Fame
1,086 Posts
All the HD Premiums, I have the HD only pack and all the premiums. I want all the premiums to all in HD. I miss have Headline News and yes the Voom HD news. Now for political statement. Really Fox just pushes the right wing and CNN is center to a bit Left. So the garbage of how awful either are is just your position only. In simple terms just put all the available channels in HD up. The new bird for E* goes up in a few days (cross your fingers it makes it) it will probably be up and running by fall.

·
Icon
687 Posts
Cant beat all the hotties on Fox News though. 3 blondes at once this AM. :D

·
Cool Member
28 Posts
Yeah I was talking about FOX News.I believe Lou Dobbs is HD on CNN we watch it every night.Not to be off topic but FOX NEWS is just a wish.We are completely happy with Dishnetwork we've had it since November america's top 200 Vip 722 and VIP 211.No problems what so ever.Our number one wish would be local HD stations but we knew we'd be a Lonnnng Lonnnng time getting them if ever.Our locals are out of Terre Haute Indiana over the air antenna won't pick them up.We live aprx 60 miles away in rural Indiana.

·
Icon
324 Posts
I think Sqawk Box on CNBC is in HD although it still has the stocks info.

·
Legend
104 Posts
e-man said:
ok i'm beating a dead horse, but now that the e* sacramento market is broadcasting our local fox affiliate in hd, i want speed, fox news, spike and fx in hd. i play a lot of video games, so g4 would be appreciated in hd, especially since we lost the gamer hd channel that was on voom. o yeah, can we PLEASE get rid of food network in hd on e*? i'm sure nobody wants to talk about LOSING an hd channel, but ever since my wife figured out that it's broadcasting in hd (i had the hd version hidden on my favorites in the epg) she watches tv in the living room a lot more, since it's the only hd tv we have right now.
Agreed I was hoping someone else would say G4 or Tech TV or Zdnet as they originally called it. (remember Leo Laport? hehe) Unfortunately I recently read about how low budget that show is and we are prolly years away from HD.

Isn't that ironic the very channel that first told us of organic leds in 2000 will be prolly be the last to upgrade to HD? Someone start a donation for them fools to buy them some HD cameras I gotta see some attack of the show in HD... good times!:D

·
Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
mystic7 said:
Too many "HD" channels are still producing new content in SD. Bravo comes to mind, and of course the ubiquitous MTV.
Shows were still produced in B&W for a time after color TV was introduced. That doesn't mean that it will be that way forever.

Many projects that are coming out now were green-lit and funded years ago. Moving to HD for a network means abandoning many millions of dollars of SD equipment and retraining every employee. It's expensive, and given that companies own multiple networks, what usually happens is that they are converted one by one, or at most a few at a time, to spread out the cost and risks.

3 years from now, nearly every network is going to be HD for all new content. Market pressures will virtually guarentee that. People who get used to HD hate watching SD, so they don't. Networks that don't convert won't survive. There will be exceptions, such as "classic TV" like Nick AT Nite, but many of those shows either are stored on SD video or don't have original film masters available for HD conversion.

·
Godfather
570 Posts
PTN said:
I believe Lou Dobbs is HD on CNN we watch it every night,
Uh oh - given his program content I certainly hope none of the equipment in the HD signal chain for Dobbs' show is foreign made… :sure:

Meanwhile I was hoping for AMC HD in the recent announcement; I was hoping to see season two of Mad Men in HD… :(

·
3 Posts
Just curious, is anyone here keeping a tally of the available HD transponders for new channels?
I'm finding it hard to keep tabs on where we're at as far as future potential, especially after the new HD channel announcements this week and the up-coming launch of a new bird this month.
I'm too new here to figure whether logic has anything to do with the outcomes at E*, but it sure is entertaining reading all of the posted opinions!

:cheers2:

·
Super Moderator
53,894 Posts
I don't keep a "free space per transponder" list but DISH has been kind enough to uplink a whole bunch of TMP alphabet channels and TST numbered channels in HD that appear on the Dish Channel Chart ... they should all be pointed to space (or an actual test feed).

41 - 52 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.