DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, ever since one of my HR24s received the software upgrade to the new HD interface, periodically the interface will get completely screwed up. I have not experienced the issue on my second HR24, but it doesn't get used nearly as frequently either.

I've included a screen shot of the scrambled display. What you see in the screen shot is "ALL NEW ADVENTURES CHRISTINE CCHAN 3 307". That was the first series folder in the recordings menu at the time.

Font Display device Gadget Electric blue Signage

I haven't been able determine any way of repeating the issue. It seems to happen randomly. Sometimes it goes days without an issue, sometimes it happens twice in an evening. The only way to fix the display is do a hard reset with the reset button on the front of the tuner. What I do know, is that it occurs when I press any button that should bring up a menu. There is usually an unusual lag in appearance of the menu, then when it finally appears it all messed up.

Is this a common issue or one that anyone else has had any experience with? I've done some searches and haven't seen it mentioned before. It doesn't seem that there would be any sort of quick fix short of a software update, so hopefully it's a known bug and my tuner is not completely unique.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Cool Member
23 Posts
Have you verified that the HR24 is set to the correct resolution? It could have inadvertently changed during the process. You could always try downloading the update again by rebooting and pressing 02468 as soon as it restarts.

·
Hall Of Fame
2,510 Posts
What software release are you currently on?

I have seen this on the first HD national release, but it has not happened on the most recent release. (The one that added Pandora.)

It was random, but seemed to happen most when starting a recording. if I immediately exited the recording, it would sometimes fix itself, then I could reselect the recording. However, that didn't always work.

·
Legend
182 Posts
I've had the same problem. I've managed to fix it by cycling through the resolution options manually until I hit the correct one. It's a pain but easier than a reboot.

·
Godfather
357 Posts
I have the same issue on my HR24. It started 2 firmware updates ago. It seems to happen mostly if watch a recorded program all the way to the end then the "delete or save" message comes up. I now stop the recording before that message comes up and then delete.

You can sometimes fix it by playing another show (if you can see thru all the GUI garbage), stopping it, then exit back into the GUI.

I hope they get this fixed soon. It's amazing that this bug is still in there after two firmware updates.

·
Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the input!! :)

DogLover said:
I'm on software release 0x59e (02/23). Oh, and it's an HR24-500 for what it's worth. I haven't had any issue for the past couple days, but I know I've seen it at least once since the 23rd.

elixir26 said:
I've managed to fix it by cycling through the resolution options manually until I hit the correct one. It's a pain but easier than a reboot.
I thought of this, but I can't see a d&%# thing when it happens, so I've never been able to cycle through the menus in order to change the resolution or start another recording.

mrfatboy said:
I have the same issue on my HR24. It started 2 firmware updates ago. It seems to happen mostly if watch a recorded program all the way to the end then the "delete or save" message comes up. I now stop the recording before that message comes up and then delete.
This is interesting. I was just watching a show this evening, and the "delete or save" message came up. I selected to delete. The screen then flickered very strangely, and I swore that things were going to go haywire. Fortunately, things remained okay for the time being. I'll pay a little closer attention to this from now on.

·
Icon
712 Posts
Something similar happened on my HR24-100. The top part of the picture was normal and the bottom was scrambled like your example. I turned the HD-DVR off and on and that cleared the picture. This happened two times after the first HD-UI update, but I have not seen it occur since the 059e update.

I am glad you posted your comment, because I thought I was crazier than I was. Best wishes!

·
Mentor
48 Posts
I believe it is related to changing resolution. It doesn't happen much to me but when it does it seems to be when I'm watching an SD channel and change to an HD channel. I have not been able to prove this but I suspect it is when I switch to an HD channel that is showing something in SD.

In any event I found that simply changing the channel using the channel button or recall button usually corrects the problem.

·
Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ts7 said:
In any event I found that simply changing the channel using the channel button or recall button usually corrects the problem.
I have tried this, and it definitely didn't have any effect in my case. I also tried turning on double play and going to the other tuner. I agree with the thought that it has something to do with the resolutions. I'll try to pay a much closer attention when it occurs from now on (if I see it again), and what I'm doing at the time.

Thanks again everyone!

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
kjsmithtx said:
Have you verified that the HR24 is set to the correct resolution? It could have inadvertently changed during the process. You could always try downloading the update again by rebooting and pressing 02468 as soon as it restarts.
I have the same problem with a 24-500 and nothing you've suggested will help. I've tried everything I could think of to ameliorate this issue and can only hope an NR will come down and put a stop to it.

This issue popped up several days after the first NR with the new GUI came down and had continued thru the last NR. Just happened again last night. The 24-500 is the most used (as a client) HR that I have. Fortunately, I have two other HRs in that room and can switch to them if necessary.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
byrd said:
So, ever since one of my HR24s received the software upgrade to the new HD interface, periodically the interface will get completely screwed up. I have not experienced the issue on my second HR24, but it doesn't get used nearly as frequently either.
My experience parallels yours exactly. I think, as this discussion goes on, we'll find that the most used (as a client) HR will exhibit this issue. You don't mention which HR24 you're having the problem with. Is it a 24-500?

I've included a screen shot of the scrambled display. What you see in the screen shot is "ALL NEW ADVENTURES CHRISTINE CCHAN 3 307". That was the first series folder in the recordings menu at the time.
That's exactly what mine looks like.

View attachment 28513

I haven't been able determine any way of repeating the issue. It seems to happen randomly. Sometimes it goes days without an issue, sometimes it happens twice in an evening. The only way to fix the display is do a hard reset with the reset button on the front of the tuner.
I can't find a way to make it happen either. It's a random thing and happens even when you are not bringing up a menu. It does seem to happen most of the time when you are bringing up a menu, but I've seen it happen when pressing the Play button after pausing.

If you keep resetting with the red button you're liable to do harm to the HR itself. I prefer pulling the cord. Sometimes I can bring the GUI back to its proper form by just shutting off the HR and waiting a few minutes. Did that last night and it worked.

What I do know, is that it occurs when I press any button that should bring up a menu. There is usually an unusual lag in appearance of the menu, then when it finally appears it all messed up.
As I said, mine is liable to explode at any time. And it's instantaneous, no wait time at all. Just explodes all over the screen.

Thing is, everything else works when the exploded GUI is taken off the screen by pressing the Exit button. Since everything not menu related works, I can only think that the GUI is at fault.

Is this a common issue or one that anyone else has had any experience with? I've done some searches and haven't seen it mentioned before. It doesn't seem that there would be any sort of quick fix short of a software update, so hopefully it's a known bug and my tuner is not completely unique.
As this thread goes forward, I think we'll see that many folks are experiencing this issue. My question is: Is this only happening on the HR24-500s?

Well written post, by the way.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
DogLover said:

I have seen this on the first HD national release, but it has not happened on the most recent release. (The one that added Pandora.)

It was random, but seemed to happen most when starting a recording. if I immediately exited the recording, it would sometimes fix itself, then I could reselect the recording. However, that didn't always work.
Happened again last night.

Rich

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
mrfatboy said:

You can sometimes fix it by playing another show (if you can see thru all the GUI garbage), stopping it, then exit back into the GUI.

I hope they get this fixed soon. It's amazing that this bug is still in there after two firmware updates.
Hmm. Yet another 500.

Rich

·
Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rich said:
My experience parallels yours exactly. I think, as this discussion goes on, we'll find that the most used (as a client) HR will exhibit this issue. You don't mention which HR24 you're having the problem with. Is it a 24-500?
Both of my DVRs are HR24-500s. The one that I'm having trouble with IS the most used in my house. While we do record a LOT of programming on the second unit, we rarely sit down in front of it to watch anything. Everything is watched remotely on the primary unit. I suppose I could swap the two boxes around and see what happens, but it's kind of hassle that I've been trying to avoid. The only time the second TV is really on is for our dogs while we're at work for the day. Maybe I should ask the dogs if they've seen any problems on that unit! :lol: :lol:

·
Premium Member
36,632 Posts
byrd said:
Both of my DVRs are HR24-500s. The one that I'm having trouble with IS the most used in my house. While we do record a LOT of programming on the second unit, we rarely sit down in front of it to watch anything. Everything is watched remotely on the primary unit. I suppose I could swap the two boxes around and see what happens, but it's kind of hassle that I've been trying to avoid. The only time the second TV is really on is for our dogs while we're at work for the day. Maybe I should ask the dogs if they've seen any problems on that unit! :lol: :lol:
I wouldn't bother doing anything but patiently (I realize that's difficult) waiting for D* to fix the problem with an NR. I don't think the boxes are corrupted in any way. I see Allenn stated in his post that he saw the same thing (or almost the same) on his 24-100, and I've seen my 20-700 try to do it a few times. I had hoped it was limited to only the 500s.

Rich

·
Legend
182 Posts
I use the button on the HR24 to change/cycle through the resolution. You can't see the menu to use the remote.

·
Legend
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So it's now March 17 (well after the 0x59e upgrade) and I just saw the menu screen get scrambled again this evening. It's definitely not occurring as often as it was previously, but the 0x59e software certainly did not completely solve the issue. Tonight it occurred when I manually stopped a recording just before it reached the end. I was finally able to set things straight this evening, without a reset, by fumbling my way through to start a new recording. Hopefully they'll get this sorted out by the next release.

It happened a second time tonight. The other odd thing is that I've noticed that some recordings freeze up repeatedly while playing. Sometimes I can skip forward or back to unfreeze it. Other times I need to stop the recording entirely. I don't know if this is related, or a totally separate issue. I should mention that the recordings are being watched from a remote HR24, but I've never had issues in the past.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.