DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· AllStar
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My HR22-100 just downloaded the latest software about one hour ago. I happened to be watching a program that I downloaded last night and the popup message appeared indicating new software availability, so I "OK,d" it and everything seemed to proceed normally.

This is when the trouble began.... when the unit rebooted itself it just wouldn't restart and it now displays a diagnostic code 14-868. I did a red button reset but that didn't help. Is it possible that the download caused a fully functional unit to fail????

· Hall Of Fame
7,054 Posts
Not likely...your HDD is failing or has failed. During the reboot, the disk checking routine found problems with the internal storage drive...every electronic device is fully functional until they break, and most give you little to no warning.

· Registered
266 Posts
VAman said:
My HR22-100 just downloaded the latest software about one hour ago. I happened to be watching a program that I downloaded last night and the popup message appeared indicating new software availability, so I "OK,d" it and everything seemed to proceed normally.

This is when the trouble began.... when the unit rebooted itself it just wouldn't restart and it now displays a diagnostic code 14-868. I did a red button reset but that didn't help. Is it possible that the download caused a fully functional unit to fail????
Hello VAan,

One of the possible solutions that may be suggested is to unplug your HR-22 for approximately 15 minutes and then power it up again. See if this helps.

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
A software download doesn't cause a HD to fail, but sometimes it identifies a problem HD during the process.

In other words, even without the new download, your HD/unit would have failed. Might not have failed right then. Might have taken a couple more weeks, but it was already headed toward failure and the download just sped things up.

This of course, assumes it is actually dead.

· Godfather
433 Posts
veryoldschool said:
I agree with all the replies, and if the OP thinks it's software related, then rebooting it now and at the "hello screen" pressing 0 2 4 6 8 should force a download of the old software.
Can I do this to get rid of the HD GUI on a new HR24? Can you prevent a unit from ever getting "better" software?

On the old DirecTiVos I never had to worry about new "better" software messing everything up.

"Better" software killed my Dishplayers many years ago. Now we have tens of pages of posts where "better" software is causing all sorts of problems.

· Registered
9,461 Posts
VAman said:

As stated, force a revert and watch as many Recordings as you can. Because sooner or later you are going to run out of reverting time.

As to why it is happening now, apparently the new firmware has improved the receiver self-checking portion of its software too, because you're not the only member reporting that they are getting a diagnostic code for a HDD issue.

· AllStar
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I just finished talking with tech support and they are sending out a replacement unit. It's likely a hard drive crash, but there was absolutely no signs whatsoever of any HD problems prior to the new HDGUI download.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.