DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Cool Member
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to pre-wire a new guesthouse along w/ a new garage and detatched fitness center.

The Guesthouse is easy, the sat dish will be located on the new guest house and the SWM 8 way switch will be in the utility closet in the guest house. there will be 3 receivers in the guest house, all running SWM.

My concerns are the distances for the new detached garage and detached fitness center. The garage is 160ft away from the SWM switch. The fitness center is 300ft away.

I was considering using the legacy switch port on the SWM switch to push sat signal over to fitness center to feed one receiver instead of SWM since SWM signals get iffy over really long distances. Not too worried about the garage as i have successfully run SWM feed 150ft before to one receiver.


Thoughts?

Suggestions from the pros here?

Thanks in advance,

Bob Lentz
 

· Hall Of Fame
Joined
·
3,585 Posts
What about putting a seperate dish on either the garage or fitness center?

Do you need Whole Home DVR shared between all the buildings, or do you just want sat service?
 

· Super Moderator
Joined
·
12,438 Posts
The legacy port of an SWM8 only provides SD capability, so it won't work if you want HD on that feed. I agree with the idea of a dish on the garage or fitness center. If you need whole home, and have ethernet wired to those buildings, you can accomplish it via ethernet. I wouldn't try to use wirless though for that purpose.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
blentz said:
Getting ready to pre-wire a new guesthouse along w/ a new garage and detatched fitness center.

[wants to have receivers 160 and 300' away from the antenna]
Multiple antennas will be most straightforward. If you don't want that for aesthetic reasons, you could use RG-11 for (most of) the long runs. You'd probably want to calculate whether you have enough signal for that--I've never seen published loss budgets for DirecTV cabling, but they must exist somewhere.

At 300', though, you're at the timing limits for some kinds of Ethernet. I think MoCA/DECA uses something other than CSMA/CD, but I don't know how it encodes on the wire, so I'm not sure at what distance this becomes an issue, but you might want to look into it. If I were you, I'd also be looking at networking, phones, paging, etc., across the 'campus', and distance will be an issue there as well. I suspect you'll need some sort of equipment closet in the space that's 300' away, if not in both.

You will need grounding blocks where telecommunications circuits, including this one, enter each separate building. I'd probably run fiber between buildings, but I'm a network guy.
 

· AllStar
Joined
·
91 Posts
"htroberts" said:
Multiple antennas will be most straightforward. If you don't want that for aesthetic reasons, you could use RG-11 for (most of) the long runs. You'd probably want to calculate whether you have enough signal for that--I've never seen published loss budgets for DirecTV cabling, but they must exist somewhere.

At 300', though, you're at the timing limits for some kinds of Ethernet. I think MoCA/DECA uses something other than CSMA/CD, but I don't know how it encodes on the wire, so I'm not sure at what distance this becomes an issue, but you might want to look into it. If I were you, I'd also be looking at networking, phones, paging, etc., across the 'campus', and distance will be an issue there as well. I suspect you'll need some sort of equipment closet in the space that's 300' away, if not in both.

You will need grounding blocks where telecommunications circuits, including this one, enter each separate building. I'd probably run fiber between buildings, but I'm a network guy.
If it was me, I would look at finding a custom structured cable manufacturer. Get a roll with an RG-11 and three cat6s. Fiber is overkill. Never wired a house with it, and we do some CRAZY installs.
 

· Cool Member
Joined
·
26 Posts
funnyfarm299 said:
look at finding a custom structured cable manufacturer. Get a roll with an RG-11 and three cat6s. Fiber is overkill
Fiber is overkill, but getting custom structured cable manufactured is reasonable?

To be clear: I was proposing fiber for the network, not for DirecTV. Multi-mode actually isn't expensive, and you avoid grounding issues and induced voltages (lightning).

As to the RG-11 and twisted-pair cables: you don't need a bundled cable: 1-2" PVC will be fine and will only cost a few dollars.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top