DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok got my HR34 and 5 H24's installed Saturday and 2 techs, 2days later and one coming back today.........
Issues:
Can’t see hr 34 recordings from any of the HD boxes.
Both broadband decas keep losing internet and are really hot!
Picture freezing up
Setup
16swm, and two swm8 port splitters, one per swm channel 1 & 2
current setup from second tech has
Ch1 Swm8 splitter has:
HR 34 and broadband deca
Ch2 Swm8 splitter has:
5 H24’s and a broadband deca
He added a 2nd broadband deca to ch2 because he though each need its own and ch1 could see the internet?? After installing the second one on ch2now none can see the internet and They are really hot!!!!
The tech is coming back out with another 16swm and plans on replacing it today.:mad:
Any suggestions???

· Hall Of Fame
3,756 Posts
mbootag said:
Ok got my HR34 and 5 H24's installed Saturday and 2 techs, 2days later and one coming back today.........
Issues:
Can't see hr 34 recordings from any of the HD boxes.
Picture freezing up
Setup
Ch1 Swm8 splitter has:
HR 34 and broadband deca
Ch2 Swm8 splitter has:
5 H24's and a broadband deca
He added a 2nd broadband deca to ch2 because he though each need its own and ch1 could see the internet?? After installing the second one on ch2now none can see the internet and They are really hot!!!!
The tech is coming back out with another 16swm and plans on replacing it today.:mad:
Any suggestions???
Only one DECA is needed. Having two will mess things up big time.

· Problem Solver
1,846 Posts
Also, the leg with the HR34 and the DECABB should only have a 2way splitter. That 8way is overkill, and isn't doing your HR34's connectivity any favors either.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will have the tech remove the swm8 splitter off channel one and just use a single splitter with the HR34 and just a single broadband deca connected to it......
I will have him remove the broadband deca on ch2 swm8 splitter also so I will have just one.
Thanks Guys I hope we can get this resolved when I get home today!

· Cool Member
21 Posts
Channel 1 on the SWM use a 4 way splitter and connect 4 H24's. Channel 2 on the SWM use a 2 way splitter and connect the HR34 and 1 H24. Use the ethernet port on the HR34 to brigde to the internet. This way you dont need the broadband DECA and you minimize splitter loss.

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
mbootag said:
I will have the tech remove the swm8 splitter off channel one and just use a single splitter with the HR34 and just a single broadband deca connected to it......
I will have him remove the broadband deca on ch2 swm8 splitter also so I will have just one.
Thanks Guys I hope we can get this resolved when I get home today!
A "quick fix" [or temp] might be to remove the splitter for the HR34, and connect it to the SWiM. Move all the receivers over to the other leg on the SWiM with the 8-way, and have the one BB DECA connected there.
DECAs do get warm, since they have a transmitter in them.
Once you sort out the double network bridging, reboot all the receivers and then check.

8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok after cleaning up install wiring, removing one 8 swm on ch 1 and replacing it with a spiltter and attched HR34 and decabb see picture.
I also added 1inch stand offs on the swm16 for added cooling becasue its in the attic.
Rebooted all and the freezing stopped but still wh drv not availble.
Replace HR 34 wh working on 3 out of 5 H24.
Replace 2 H24 with H25 all system working.
I remember one tech saying that you could only have 3 H24 on a WH swm system so my other 2 would not see the WH DVR???
So I now have 3 H24 and 2 H25 and 1 HR34 all good.

Thanks for all the replies and I will post an update after I get a few days of run time..........

Attachments

· Dad
5,798 Posts
The tech may have been saying that the HR34 can provide only 3 WHDVR streams at a time. So if you are testing WHDVR service and 4 H24/H25's are trying to do WHDVR at the same time, you will have an issue.

· 1*
9,917 Posts
NR4P said:
The tech may have been saying that the HR34 can provide only 3 WHDVR streams at a time. So if you are testing WHDVR service and 4 H24/H25's are trying to do WHDVR at the same time, you will have an issue.
Correct, but to clarify, all 5 of the H2x's will be able to see the PlayList on the HR34, however, you can only stream to 3 of them at a time.

- Merg

· Godfather
322 Posts
mbootag said:
Issues:
Can't see hr 34 recordings from any of the HD boxes.
Picture freezing up
Setup
Ch1 Swm8 splitter has:
HR 34 and broadband deca
Ch2 Swm8 splitter has:
5 H24's and a broadband deca
Any suggestions???
what you need one is the following

supplies
2x 2ways (only one if a CCK-W is used)
1x 4way
1x CCK

then put 4x DVR's on one port
then put the HR34 and the 5th DVR on the other
and ensure that the PI is ether connected to Port 1 or to the PWR port

· Mentor
45 Posts
From a splitter standpoint I can understand putting 4 receivers on
one SWM output and the HR34 and 1 receiver on the other SWM output.

But I also thought the idea was to evenly balance the SWM channels used on each output.
Putting the HR34 by itself on one SWM output uses 5 channels, and all 5
receivers on the other SWM output uses 5 channels.

I am not sure which configuration would work the best,
but I suspect that the use of fewer splitters outweighs
having 1 receiver on SWM channel 6 rather than SWM channel 5.

Maybe VOS can weigh in on this.

Choir

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
Choir said:

Choir
Your suspicions are correct.
The difference in cable loss between SWiM channel 2 and 9, with 100' of RG6 is about 3 dB, which is less than one 2-way splitter.

· Godfather
322 Posts
Choir said:
From a splitter standpoint I can understand putting 4 receivers on
one SWM output and the HR34 and 1 receiver on the other SWM output.

But I also thought the idea was to evenly balance the SWM channels used on each output.
Putting the HR34 by itself on one SWM output uses 5 channels, and all 5
receivers on the other SWM output uses 5 channels.

Choir
Your idea is right but your follow through is off

5x DVR's will use 10 channels
1x HR34 will use 5 channels

by putting 4x DVRs on one port that fully uses all 8 channels
then with the HR34 and 1 Dvr on the other that uses 7 channels

you know what scratch that I misread and though he had 5x DVR's not 5x recivers

· Icon
510 Posts
worker said:
Channel 1 on the SWM use a 4 way splitter and connect 4 H24's. Channel 2 on the SWM use a 2 way splitter and connect the HR34 and 1 H24. Use the ethernet port on the HR34 to brigde to the internet. This way you dont need the broadband DECA and you minimize splitter loss.
will this work? I was told hooking up HR34 hooks up exactly like HR24. If you plug ethernet straight into HR24 it disables whole home.. is HR34 ethernet port different ???

· Premium Member
41,526 Posts
wallfishman said:
will this work? I was told hooking up HR34 hooks up exactly like HR24. If you plug ethernet straight into HR24 it disables whole home.. is HR34 ethernet port different ???
Yes the HR34 is "different" and doesn't disable the internal DECA, but "some" have problems with the HR34 working as a bridge, though it has been verified that it is a supported method.

· Icon
510 Posts
veryoldschool said:
Yes the HR34 is "different" and doesn't disable the internal DECA, but "some" have problems with the HR34 working as a bridge, though it has been verified that it is a supported method.
that would be nice if that worked properly. i just hooked one up right next to a router. i used a 2 way and a bbdeca. good stuff, thanks !!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.