DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just had d* installed in 3 rooms. I have a HD DVR that I want to use an rf modulator to send the DVR to 2 other tv's. The HD DVR is controlled my a Logitech Harmony remote which is IR. I would like to be able to control the DVR from the other 2 rooms with a RF remote. Is there any way to set up the DVR to control both IR and RF?

· Hall Of Fame
4,481 Posts
Mailman74 said:
I just had d* installed in 3 rooms. I have a HD DVR that I want to use an rf modulator to send the DVR to 2 other tv's. The HD DVR is controlled my a Logitech Harmony remote which is IR. I would like to be able to control the DVR from the other 2 rooms with a RF remote. Is there any way to set up the DVR to control both IR and RF?
the HD DVR will not respond to both IR and RF at the same time. sorry

· Dry as a bone
12,321 Posts
You don't need it to accept both.

I use THIS solution. The main unit is in the living room and all of my D* remotes in other rooms have the "batteries" installed in them. I can control both of my HR21's that are in the living room from any other room in the house (all of which receive the distributed signal from the HR21's)

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was thinking about that product. What if I have a receiver in the bedroom and I ran a wire to the tv from the DVR to control with a remote with the batteries. How can I assign which remote works with the correct receiver. I do not want to try to control the DVR via the batteries and control the bedroom receiver with same remote

· Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
Mailman74 said:
How would I avoid having the remote with the RF batteries controlling the wrong receiver?
The pruct listed abocve has 2 parts. One is the RF battery replacement that you put in the existing remote at the remote location, the other is a "soucer" like receiving unit that matches it fequency; thus no other receiver in the house would be effected.

Just FYI, if you have more then 1 of these hooked to multiple receivers you can also change fequncies from a/b/ or c on the device to cut down on crosstalk or interferance in terms of better range....

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yoda-DBSguy said:
The pruct listed abocve has 2 parts. One is the RF battery replacement that you put in the existing remote at the remote location, the other is a "soucer" like receiving unit that matches it fequency; thus no other receiver in the house would be effected.

Just FYI, if you have more then 1 of these hooked to multiple receivers you can also change fequncies from a/b/ or c on the device to cut down on crosstalk or interferance in terms of better range....
I just saw the RF remote on the D* site that comes with an antenna. Couldnt I buy a remote, install the antenna on the back of receiver and set the receiver to IR mode?

· Hall Of Fame
1,090 Posts
Mailman74 said:
I just saw the RF remote on the D* site that comes with an antenna. Couldnt I buy a remote, install the antenna on the back of receiver and set the receiver to IR mode?
Nope.

The receiver can select either IR or RF mode, NOT both at the same time.

BTW the new HD DVR you just got already has an RF remote. the receiving antenan for the remote is built into the receiver itself unlike some older generations with needed to have the external antenna added in order to operate.

At any rate in order to do what your trying to accomplaish (using a ir remote like the logitech in one room; while still being able to control it in other roomes via rf remotes; you will need to do as i stated in the other post.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yoda-DBSguy said:
Nope.

The receiver can select either IR or RF mode, NOT both at the same time.

BTW the new HD DVR you just got already has an RF remote. the receiving antenan for the remote is built into the receiver itself unlike some older generations with needed to have the external antenna added in order to operate.

At any rate in order to do what your trying to accomplaish (using a ir remote like the logitech in one room; while still being able to control it in other roomes via rf remotes; you will need to do as i stated in the other post.
I already ordered it thanks alot for your help.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.