DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
AllStar
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a DirecTV install setup for next Tuesday and I had a couple questions regarding the new HMC (HR34) DVR features when used from a regular HD receiver.

I am getting one HR34 and 2 HD receivers. I have read that the HD recievers do not support the pausing of live tv, but I have read that you can work around this my pressing the record button. So now the questions....

On the HD receiver:
1. To perform the pause workaround (record button), is there any confirmation screens or buttons required after pressing the record button. I am concerned that I would have to press the record button, accept some confirmation screen, etc.

2. When recording from the HD receiver, I assume there would be a buffer running that allows you fast forward, pause, etc. up until you reach the current time.

3. When you press the record button (to emulate pausing live tv) how long will it record. Say you start recording 5 minutes before the show ends. Will it only record those 5 minutes. Example....What happens if you are on the telephone for 10 minutes? Do you only get the last 5 minutes of the current show and not the 5 minutes of the next show?

4. Can you use a HD DVR, in place of an HD receiver, and take advantage of the HMC's 5 tuners/shard recordings as well as the recordings of shows on the local DVR?

Thanks.
 

·
DaBears
Joined
·
6,085 Posts
StringFellow said:
I have a DirecTV install setup for next Tuesday and I had a couple questions regarding the new HMC (HR34) DVR features when used from a regular HD receiver.

I am getting one HR34 and 2 HD receivers. I have read that the HD recievers do not support the pausing of live tv, but I have read that you can work around this my pressing the record button. So now the questions....

On the HD receiver:
1. To perform the pause workaround (record button), is there any confirmation screens or buttons required after pressing the record button. I am concerned that I would have to press the record button, accept some confirmation screen, etc.

2. When recording from the HD receiver, I assume would be a buffer that allows you fast forward, pause, etc. up until you reach the current time.

3. When you press the record button (to emulate pausing live tv) how long will it record. Say you start recording 5 minutes before the show ends. Will it only record those 5 minutes. Example....What happens if you are on the telephone for 10 minutes? Do you only get the last 5 minutes of the show and not the 5 minutes of the next show?

4. Can you use a HD DVR, in place of an HD receiver, and take advantage of the HMC's 5 tuners/shard recordings as well as the recordings of shows on your local DVR?

Thanks.
1. You will have to confirm that it's recording by pressing select or exit, unless you choose one of the other options.

2. You technically watch the recording so yes you can do all trick plays until you're watching the recording "live".

3. You record shows not time blocks so if a show ends the recording stops. You would want to record the following show if you wanted to have access to that show as well. Since the other show recorded you could just watch that recording to finish the show and not miss anything.

4. Yes
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,050 Posts
StringFellow said:
1. To perform the pause workaround (record button), is there any confirmation screens or buttons required after pressing the record button. I am concerned that I would have to press the record button, accept some confirmation screen, etc.
Yes, there is a confirmation. Why be concerned about that?

StringFellow said:
2. When recording from the HD receiver, I assume there would be a buffer running that allows you fast forward, pause, etc. up until you reach the current time.
You can pause, rewind, ff, etc the recording up to the end of the recording, yes.

StringFellow said:
3. When you press the record button (to emulate pausing live tv) how long will it record. Say you start recording 5 minutes before the show ends. Will it only record those 5 minutes. Example....What happens if you are on the telephone for 10 minutes? Do you only get the last 5 minutes of the current show and not the 5 minutes of the next show?
It will record that scheduled recording. If there's enough in the buffer on the HR34 you'll get that whole scheduled recording. It's not like you can press record and it records until you tell it to stop. You're telling it to record 1 show.

StringFellow said:
4. Can you use a HD DVR, in place of an HD receiver, and take advantage of the HMC's 5 tuners/shard recordings as well as the recordings of shows on the local DVR?
If you use a second DVR you would be able to record using its 2 tuners as well as the 5 tuners on the HR34. You would also be able to watch the recordings made on the HR34 on the secondary DVR and watch recordings from the secondary DVR on your HR34. You would not however be able to setup recordings on the HR34 from the secondary DVR.
 

·
AllStar
Joined
·
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok...on the record (to simulate pause feature) question.....when you press the record button, can you make it record for more then then end of a show. Example, record for 2 hours?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
42,754 Posts
StringFellow said:
Ok...on the record (to simulate pause feature) question.....when you press the record button, can you make it record for more then then end of a show. Example, record for 2 hours?
"What you need to do is..."
Go into the guide, highlight the show, press the record button. with only one DVR, it won't ask which. Now if you want to record longer, select the next show and repeat this process.

With a DVR, you can change the ending times up to three hours longer, but I don't remember this option on the receiver.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top