DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have an appointment this Friday for a new installation. I wouldn't have thought much about it except last Friday a friend of ours had the exact service options installed and there were some issues that came up.

We are getting 2 HD DVRs and two SD receivers. (same as our friend)

The installer was going to run multiple lines from the dish to the DVRs but my friend was able to convince him to call his supervisor. The supervisor told his installer that only one line was necessary because they were installing the "latest" equipment.

This got me to wondering:

1. Being that this is a new install, do I have the right to insist on the same "latest" equipment ? We are replacing E* which always had one line per receiver and didn't know D* may not have standardized this practice. We also have an over the air antenna which is diplexed in and works great.

1a. Will they bring HR22s or do we get "whatever's on the truck" ?

2. Because we will still have E* at the moment D* is installed, will they just reuse the existing coax or will they want to run new coax since the existing is not theirs ?

3. My friend's installation experience turned out to be a pretty bad experience and he has not had satellite reception since a day after install to the present. How many days is normally allowed to cancel service without penalty in California ?

Thanks!

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
1. and 1a. you can't request specific models of equipment or dishes. You will get what they have on hand and the ordering system decides you need.

2. It depends. If it is in the right locations and seems to meet the requirements most installers will try to reuse existing cables to save time and cables.

3. Can't say but they do have a 90 day warranty on the install and a new installer verification process where the receiver checks to make sure signal levels are good and won't let the receiver activate if the signals aren't correct.

As far as the specific question of single line verses multiple lines for a DVR install. The Existing tech does require 1 line per tuner so 2 for full functionality of a DVR. DirecTV is just rolling out SWM, a new tech, that allows both tuners in a dvr to work off a single run. It actually allows 8 total tuners off a single cable that can be split like a cable signal could. Since you are getting 6 total tuners, at least 1 hd dvr and you are a new install you do meet the requirements for getting this new tech assuming it's available in your area. Diplexing won't work on the old system with out some tricks. It can be done on the new tech but isn't officially supported.

Also note that OTA reception isn't present in the hr21 or 22. If you get one of those and want OTA reception a usb add on call the AM21 will be needed.

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
AM21 - that's right, I forgot to mention that.

I had heard that they would provide 2 of them seeing as how there are some channels/sub-channels that aren't yet available through D*. When I asked the CS person they said I would have to pay for them.

Thought I'd wait a day and call again.

What;s the official policy ?

·
Hall Of Fame
2,136 Posts
I don't know that there is an official policy for new subs. All you can do is call and see once you've got the receivers installed. No one can do anything until the receivers are installed because it is possible for you to end up with an HR20 stil which wouldn't need it. Not likely but possible. Just in case a CSR tells you otherwise the installer won't have one and probably won't have ever heard of the AM21. They are shipped directly from DirecTV to you for a self install.

You might be able to get them for free. It seems to help if you are missing all or at least one of the major locals in HD not just the 3rd local pbs and subchannels. You might have to call in a couple times if you really want them for free.

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the helpful answers.

This board is great.

Yeah, you're right. If they give me HR20s why would I need the AM21. From what I've read it seems that the best combo would be HR22s (higher capacity) with AM21s (better tuner). The tuner might make a big difference because we're about 50 miles from the towers. With what we have now we get all of the L.A. channels but it took some work to get it that way. A slight dip in tuner quality would be noticeable.

·
Hall Of Fame
8,969 Posts
dublus said:
AM21 - that's right, I forgot to mention that.

I had heard that they would provide 2 of them seeing as how there are some channels/sub-channels that aren't yet available through D*. When I asked the CS person they said I would have to pay for them.

Thought I'd wait a day and call again.

What;s the official policy ?
The official policy is that AM21s are NOT free. The ONLY exception is for customers with owned HR10-250s (that the customer paid up to $1000 each for) that have been made obsolete, and thus are being replaced with HR-2x's. Customers who received HR-21s, but still needed OTA capabilities that their old HR10 had, can get one AM21 per replaced HR10 for free.

Since DirecTV provides a number of HD local channels in your DMA (more than most), you have very little leverage other than to buy an AM21 if you want it.

·
Godfather
452 Posts
IIP said:
The official policy is that AM21s are NOT free. The ONLY exception is for customers with owned HR10-250s (that the customer paid up to $1000 each for) that have been made obsolete, and thus are being replaced with HR-2x's. Customers who received HR-21s, but still needed OTA capabilities that their old HR10 had, can get one AM21 per replaced HR10 for free.

Since DirecTV provides a number of HD local channels in your DMA (more than most), you have very little leverage other than to buy an AM21 if you want it.
And don't expect the tech to have it on his truck. Those are drop-ship only.

·
AllStar
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just my opinion - but I think it would be good strategy on D*'s part that if a potential customer could demonstrate that they have an E* VIP622 or 722 and are switching to D* that the AM21's should be free, or, at the very least, paid for over the first 12 months or something like that.

Just one more thing to take off the objection list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.