DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am about 12 hours away from a Directv tech showing up to install my new dish. I called Direct's 855 number out of concern that I had not been contacted by the installer. When I signed on two days ago, I assumed that I was getting the HR34, not realizing that this was just the newest of their whole house DVRs. When I pressed the CS rep to tell me what equipment I would receive, she finally said the HD DVR would be the HR28, and the two HD receivers would be H2599. She was reluctant to give me contact info on the installer, she just assured me that he would call before arriving in the morning.

A search of this site is not bringing up anything on these models. Can anyone shed light on this? I do not want to get locked into a 2 year contract with outdated equipment. I still have a Philips SD Tivo DVR from 5 years ago, before I went with Dish... is that still supported?

· Hall Of Fame
1,610 Posts
Not sure what you've ordered but those are not DirecTV receivers.

The HR34 is a 5 tuner DVR that is technically the latest and greatest although it seems to have quite a few bugs. If you search for HR34 you'll find all kinds of info.

The other DVRS are HR20, 21,22,23 and HR24. The HR24 is the newest in standard 2 tuner DVRs but you could receive any of these models if you just ordered an HD DVR. I wouldn't accept anything but an HR34 for the 'whole home' setup or an HR24 for standard HD DVR. The 21,22 and 23 are painfully slow in my opinion.

Any of them can be new or used.

If you're concerned talk to the tech before he does anything at all. Hopefully he will call but many times they don't.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had the VIP722 with Dish, so I lived with the 2 tuner limitation. The HR24 would be acceptable, but if the tech will substitute the HR34 for the typical $99 charge I've been seeing, I'd go for it. I had a suspicion that the Directv rep was wrong about those model numbers. Tomorrow will be interesting, I may send the installer packing and renegotiating the whole deal again.

· Hall Of Fame
10,062 Posts
From what I have been reading if you did not specifically ask for the HMC / HR34 you will get an HR24 as your DVR.

· Registered
5,530 Posts
You won't get an HR34 unless you specifically ordered it (and paid extra). The HR34 is the Home Media Center, not a regular DVR. If you want an HR34 you need to call DirecTV ASAP and change the order, you won't be able to change it after the installation. They will probably charge you $99 extra.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
When I ordered, I did not know that you had to specify the Home Media Center to get the HR34, so I can live with my mistake if the DVR is the HR24.

I still have an SD TV that I'm not in a big hurry to replace. I'll ask the installer about using my old Philips TIVO, it's back from the days when you owned your equipment after the 2 year lease. I put the 2nd hard drive in myself, so if I remember correctly it has at least 250gb total storage.

· Hall Of Fame
1,137 Posts
Doubt you'll be able to use th tivo.All new HD installs are done with SWiM which the tivo isnt compatible with

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
If your Tivo is a Series 1 or Series 2 standalone Tivo (i.e. has inputs for video, and L+R audio) you can use it with the H25 if they provide the output dongle with it. If you do have a Series 1 or 2 Tivo you want to use, I would ask the installer if he has a H24, as those dongles on the H25 get loose easily and can cause problems.

If you are talking about a satellite Tivo, then no, they wont work on a current SWM system, but you can always find a cheap 18" Dish and install it separately, and run two cables down to it, and then add it to your account. You just wont be able to access any of the HD channels.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Installer came with a HR23 DVR. I insisted on the HR24, he dug around his van until he came up with one. That part went OK. However, he noticed my metal roof (no one asked me about this when I requested a roof mount while ordering) and he refused to roof mount it on metal, saying that there was too much risk of it leaking. This is a steel roof less than 10 years old, laid over two layers of shingles on 2x6 rafters. So we were left with mounting it on a pole. Problem was that the only pole on his van was about 3' long, which would put the dish way too low for me to live with it. He stated that this type of pole would be difficult to buy because of its odd size (it's 1 7/8" OD) and suggested that I buy a 4x4 treated timber to mount it since I didn't want it on the short pole. Long story short, this installation is now delayed, looks like the prep for installation is up to me.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
He was correct about the metal roof.

We dont do wooden posts, they warp and twist slightly depending on the weather. You loss your HD signals.

2 inch OD pipe for all installs, you might find some at a muffler shop get a clamp for the concrete end keeps it from spinning.

You could also call DirecTv and add that HR34

· Geek til I die
9,822 Posts
Seriously, samrs is right. You should just cancel your whole install, and start over with a HMC (HR34), specify a pole mount will be required, and go from there. Since you will be in a two year contract, getting any upgrades during that time without paying lots extra is difficult. Might as well get the best to begin with. The HMC is basically the same as the HR24, but adds three more tuners (5 total) as well as PIP, and more than twice the disc space to record as the HR24 or any other DVR.

If you specify the pole mount, the installer will do it. If you want to do it yourself, and the installer showed you where to put it for Line of Sight, you can get the pipe at the muffler shop at the length you require. One clamp at the bottom in the hole, pour the concrete, and make sure its plumb on all 4 sides.

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
samrs said:

We dont do wooden posts, they warp and twist slightly depending on the weather. You loss your HD signals.

2 inch OD pipe for all installs, you might find some at a muffler shop get a clamp for the concrete end keeps it from spinning.

I made that same comment to him about treated posts warping, but he didn't think it would be a problem. I've seen them warp too many times.

Thanks for the tip on the pipe OD, he stuck a tape measure up to his short post and came up with his measurement. I know someone in the oil and gas business who might get me a pipe that doesn't sway in the wind before I go with muffler pipe.

If Directv would have cooperated and allowed me to speak to the installer beforehand, this mess could have been avoided. I am not pleased with how the whole thing has proceeded since my first call to Directv to set this up. I posted under the name dave940 on satelliteguys, when I couldn't understand why I was being charged a $280 deposit, receiver fees, and was denied discounts when my credit was good. I even posted my credit scores from Experian, and was called a liar by one of the founding fathers of that board based on his knowledge of the credit system. It turned out that I was given the wrong agency to thaw my credit freeze by Directv reps... they currently use Equifax. It took two days of phone calls before a Directv supervisor intervened and educated all of us involved. So, when I thought it was about over, my grief continues...

Since I've had extra time to think this over, the Dish Network Hopper/Joey setup doesn't sound so bad after all. I gave them the bum's rush a couple of days ago, but I might call them back after all. I had gotten a good price from Directv, but now I'm looking at extra expenses and work that I might have avoided if another installer had shown up today.

· Icon
880 Posts
dwbdave said:
Installer came with a HR23 DVR. I insisted on the HR24, he dug around his van until he came up with one. That part went OK. However, he noticed my metal roof (no one asked me about this when I requested a roof mount while ordering) and he refused to roof mount it on metal, saying that there was too much risk of it leaking. This is a steel roof less than 10 years old, laid over two layers of shingles on 2x6 rafters. So we were left with mounting it on a pole. Problem was that the only pole on his van was about 3' long, which would put the dish way too low for me to live with it. He stated that this type of pole would be difficult to buy because of its odd size (it's 1 7/8" OD) and suggested that I buy a 4x4 treated timber to mount it since I didn't want it on the short pole. Long story short, this installation is now delayed, looks like the prep for installation is up to me.
That's interesting on the HR23... when the installer did my HR34(I'm an existing customer) he had to replace an HR20 and pulled out an HR24. He said that is all he carries now and for a little while. Guess it's region specific.

As for the install. I have mine mounted on a 6ft pole in the back corner of my yard. I have woods behind me, plus where it is, the property rises up about 4ft so it up about 10 ft from the base of my house, which works great.

I originally got my pole from a local shop(plumbing place I believe). It stuck about 4 ft above ground. That worked great for a while. Then when I went high def, they came out and since the existing pipe was too narrow for the new dish, the installer slid a 6 ft pipe over top the existing pipe. He secured it by drilling a few holes thru it and screwing it to the inside pipe. It has been good for about 5 yrs now.

On the order, as others have said, if you really want an HR34, I'd just cancel the existing order and start over work on the premise of getting an HR34 as part of the order.

· MANC
1,504 Posts
dwbdave said:
Since I've had extra time to think this over, the Dish Network Hopper/Joey setup doesn't sound so bad after all. I gave them the bum's rush a couple of days ago, but I might call them back after all. I had gotten a good price from Directv, but now I'm looking at extra expenses and work that I might have avoided if another installer had shown up today.
Read through this thread and make your choice wisely, based on your needs, not the ineptitude of a few individuals.

http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=202347

· Cool Member
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
samrs said:

jdspencer said:
What are we assuming that was meant by HR28?
On Friday, when I insisted she tell me what DVR I was getting, I repeated "HR28" and wrote it down after the rep repeated herself. I guess she misread "HR23" on the order. The installer had more than one HR23 receivers in his van, but only one HR24.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.