DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Hall Of Fame
2,777 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Found an interesting quirk last night. It seems to be a variation on one I found a couple months ago. Yesterday afternoon I recorded the Eagles / Falcons game. It was on channel 29 (Fox) from 4 - 7:30 Eastern time. I always add an hour to the end of the game, just in case. I started watching the game in play-back mode - and I started watching it just a couple minutes after it started. After the game ended, but while the R15 was still recording (this was probably around 7:45), I decided to get out of playback mode, and went back to live TV.

At this point, like I said, the game was over, and according to the guide, the show on at that point on Fox was "The OT". When I came out of play-back mode, I just hit the channel number (29), and hit enter. That got me out of play-back mode, and back to live TV. So, in this case, I went from watching channel 29 in play-back mode, to watching it in live TV mode.

Then I decided to check out what was on my VOD list... I hit the list button, and instead of seeing the entry for the Eagles/Falcons game, I saw "The OT". But there was no information about the recording (time, length, et. al.). It was still recording too - the record light was on, and the record icon was still there in the VOD list. So, I decided to play back what was in my VOD list, just to see what it would play back. Instead of playing back the game, it started playing what was on channel 29 at 7:30 ("The OT"). Then I hit the play button, to see what the progress bar looked like. It was green... like with Live TV.

I just stopped the play-back, and hit delete from the MyVOD list menu. It got rid of the recording with no problems. I'm betting that if I had gone to a different channel when coming out of play-back mode it would have all worked out fine. But because I went to the channel that was currently being recorded that it hit a bug.

Not a biggie - I'd already watched the game, so it wasn't a major problem for me. BTW, I'm still running 10E8 (model 500).

· Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
My R15 will rename it also. But it will play back the full recording when selected. It probably was showing the OT because that is what was playing when you changed it off of the program. Did you try to rewind the recording when you went back to try and watch it again?

My guess is if you would have let it finish, then hit play and skip to the end and select "No, Don't Delete." Then it would have started from the beginning of the game when you selected play again.

· Hall Of Fame
1,790 Posts
I think it gets confused between the buffer & recording. I usually record Jeopardy, and start watching 10 minutes into it. Frequently, if the channle wasn't changed, I won't get the delete dialouge at the end of the show. It just continues in the buffer. I think you're right. If you change the channel, thus clearing the buffer, you'd have set it straight.

· Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
Upstream said:
I think the failure to keep a recording and the buffer separate is fundamental to a lot of the problems the R15 experiences.
I've been saying that since the begining. Untill they fix that they we are still going to have issues. It seems that the R15 never "writes" the recorded program untill the buffer changes channels or gets to the 90 min mark (that is the program length +90 mins). It's seems tivo and UTV's are smart enough to "complete" the recording when it ends and switch between the recording and the buffer. The R15 keeps all it's eggs in one basket and then drops them.

· Hall Of Fame
2,473 Posts
This also why the R15 dumps the first part of the show unstead of giving us partials like a UTV or Tivo. I'm suprised this wasn't one of the first things they fixed (the buffer/record issue).

· Hall Of Fame
1,546 Posts
cootminoot said:
whats the deal with the to do list. i lose it for awhile when the power goes out, and it takes up to a whole day to get everithing back on it.
When the receiver resets, it can take 24 to 48 hours before the guide is fully repopulated. If it isn't showing up in the program guide, it won't show up in the to-do list.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.