DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Guys

I just joined this forum and I wanted to talk about a future of HD-TV and basically what service I should get. I know many of you are probably going to say "search the forums" and while that is a good idea I have done that and still have questions.

I have just recently obtiained a new 50" Pioneer Plasma and want to feed it HD I am currently a Dishnetwork Customer and a big devoted fan of Tivo. I have the Toshiba TX-60 which is a Tivo + DVD burner (I love this box).

As far as my viewing preferences I like movies, sci-fi, action, and anime (my daughter loves Disney Movies), one thing I am not into and it is strange for many is sports I just never been into watching them more than playing them.

In my area which is Atlanta, Georgia there is a few options for me (that I know of)

1. Direct TV
2. Dishnetwork
3. Charter Cable.

I understand that Dishnetwork currently has the most HD channels at the moment, but that Direct TV will have a new Satalite that will be adding the support for like a 150 more HD channels but have they released what channels would be added?

Since moving to any service requires a new comittment of 1 to 2 years I want to make the smart choice now and not be locked into something that was not the best choice.

So my question to you guys is what do you guys recommend for HD for now and the future?

Carlos

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
carlosrg said:
I understand that Dishnetwork currently has the most HD channels at the moment, but that Direct TV will have a new Satalite that will be adding the support for like a 150 more HD channels but have they released what channels would be added?
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Don't bet the farm on what DirecTV is promising as they have a relatively poor record of late on delivering on their promises. For the next year, you'll be much happier with the variety of HD content available on Dish Network.

·
Godfather
343 Posts
Stay where you are. Wait for D* to solve the myriad of problems with the HR20 and also at the same time you will get to see if the promise of more HD works out. I have been an overall customer of D* since 1995 but a HD customer for a little less than a year. I'm not happy with the HD D* has but other than E* I have no choice, and Charter cable down here is still mostly analog, and what digital they have is worse PQ-wise than the SD that D* has.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh btw guys I should have mentioned I have disnetwork but no HD programming or receivers I believe if I were to upgrade I would be locked into a new contract at the moment I have passed my contract time. And I am pretty sure I would need to replace my antenna to receive HD.

So if I want HD programming I have to make a change.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
I'd suggest a few first steps, Carlos. First, check to see what Charter has to offer in your area in HD programming besides your local Atlanta stations, and compare theirr packages to what Dish offers. Second, go to antennaweb.org to see what kind of luck you'd have in receiving your local stations with an Over the air antenna (you'll get better picture quality OTA than you will via cable or satellite).
If you find Charter's packages unattractive, I'd suggest you stay with Dish. Switching to DirecTV would cost you more than staying put. Go to Dishnetwork.com, and check the information on the Dish 622 DVR and their other HD receivers. If you fwish to record any HD shows, you'll definitely want the DVR. As you stated, you'll probably need a new dish. If your current installation was done with RG-6 cable, you shouldn't need a new cable run.
You haven't stated how many TV's you have connected to satellite. It's possible there may be some consideration there.

You still can use your TX-60 with your existing setup for recording non-HD shows.

Once you've done this little bit of homework, call Dish Network and tell them you want to upgrade. Note that Dish has changed to a rental model, so any new equipment will be rented, rather than owned by you. They should be able to give you pricing information.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
carlosrg said:
Oh btw guys I should have mentioned I have disnetwork but no HD programming or receivers I believe if I were to upgrade I would be locked into a new contract at the moment I have passed my contract time. And I am pretty sure I would need to replace my antenna to receive HD.
If you go to DirecTV, you have an even longer commitment (24 months with HD equipment). For at least a third of that commitment, you'll be stuck with only six HD channels (plus PPV if something else doesn't preempt it). It will cost you about the same to get an HD receiver and dish either way. You would pay more for HD service from Dish Network, but you'd get four times the HD channels.

·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmm my install is relatively new so I am not sure what kind of cable I have. At the moment I only have 2 rooms with service and honestly I like to have a few more rooms done like my daughters and my sons and my exercise room. I understand the dish network units allow for 2 sets to run from box that sounds like a great idea.

I am afraid that if I have dish send someone out to replace my antenna it would mean a new contract. What are my options here?

Thanks for the advise

Cholly said:
I'd suggest a few first steps, Carlos. First, check to see what Charter has to offer in your area in HD programming besides your local Atlanta stations, and compare theirr packages to what Dish offers. Second, go to antennaweb.org to see what kind of luck you'd have in receiving your local stations with an Over the air antenna (you'll get better picture quality OTA than you will via cable or satellite).
If you find Charter's packages unattractive, I'd suggest you stay with Dish. Switching to DirecTV would cost you more than staying put. Go to Dishnetwork.com, and check the information on the Dish 622 DVR and their other HD receivers. If you fwish to record any HD shows, you'll definitely want the DVR. As you stated, you'll probably need a new dish. If your current installation was done with RG-6 cable, you shouldn't need a new cable run.
You haven't stated how many TV's you have connected to satellite. It's possible there may be some consideration there.

You still can use your TX-60 with your existing setup for recording non-HD shows.

Once you've done this little bit of homework, call Dish Network and tell them you want to upgrade. Note that Dish has changed to a rental model, so any new equipment will be rented, rather than owned by you. They should be able to give you pricing information.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
carlosrg said:
In my area which is Atlanta, Georgia there is a few options for me (that I know of)

1. Direct TV
2. Dishnetwork
3. Charter Cable.
You left out the best source: OTA (over-the-air) HD. It's free, has better picture quality (generally speaking) than either Satellite company, and most cable companies. And you may not even need anything more than a set-top antenna, although attic/roof mounting could get you more stations.

We have a utility on our site for finding your local stations. Here is a map of the Atlanta-area stations: http://www.hdtvmagazine.com/programming/broadcast-market.php?dma_name[]=Atlanta. If you want, you can create an account and enter your home address in your profile and it will show you the distance and bearing of each tower should you be far enough away to need to "point" your antenna.

Another site that is very good, and fairly popular, is antennaweb.org. It has the same sort of information, and can even recommend an antenna for you.

Regarding choice among Sat/Cable companies, I would recommend Dish for the here and now. For the future, DirecTV shows promise, but you know what they say about counting your chickens ...

Hope that helps,

- Shane Sturgeon

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
mssturgeon said:
You left out the best source: OTA (over-the-air) HD. It's free, has better picture quality (generally speaking) than either Satellite company, and most cable companies. And you may not even need anything more than a set-top antenna, although attic/roof mounting could get you more stations.
While OTA is usually the best source of OTA content, OTA doesn't offer a full range of programming that you would expect from the likes of a cable or satellite provider.

It is notable that in some markets, select "broadcast" HD content is available exclusively on cable; it isn't broadcast in HD at all.

·
AllStar
64 Posts
harsh said:
While OTA is usually the best source of OTA content, OTA doesn't offer a full range of programming that you would expect from the likes of a cable or satellite provider.
I guess it depends on what programming you enjoy. Personally, 90% of the TV I watch is network prime time programming ... the rest is NFL Football. So for me, that's a full range. Now if you want something like Discovery HD or programming specific to the national networks (ESPN, HDNet, FoodTV, HGTV, etc), you are correct.

Regardless, it's not fair to NOT include OTA in the list of available HD programming options to the original poster.

harsh said:
It is notable that in some markets, select "broadcast" HD content is available exclusively on cable; it isn't broadcast in HD at all.
Could you please explain what you mean here? It sounds like you are saying that there are some networks (NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC) that do not broadcast OTA, only send their signal via cable. I am not aware of ANY "broadcast" content available exclusively on cable (i.e. not OTA).

Thanks,

- Shane Sturgeon

·
Hall Of Fame
3,982 Posts
First step is to get your OTA antenna up and watch the 10-12 digital stations you can get free (after antenna installation).

I recommend a Channel Master Crossfire 3678, it will let you continue to receive all the analog channels you currently receive plus you have a couple of digitals on high VHF (Ch10 and 12). If you split it among several TV's you may want to add a pre-amp like the Winegard HDP-269 to make up for splitter losses.

I chose DishNetwork for MY satellite HD and I enjoy about 2/3 of the eclectic mix of HD channels - definitely worth the $20 per month.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
mssturgeon said:
Regardless, it's not fair to NOT include OTA in the list of available HD programming options to the original poster.
Certainly, OTA can be part of any solution, but in and of itself, it does not represent a complete multichannel entertainment package.
It sounds like you are saying that there are some networks (NBC, Fox, CBS, ABC) that do not broadcast OTA, only send their signal via cable. I am not aware of ANY "broadcast" content available exclusively on cable (i.e. not OTA).
Please note that I specifically referred to HD OTA broadcast.

I was not able to verify that there are any such markets. I think my impression stemmed from some viewers that are unserved by criminally low powered stations. Binghamton, Spokane and Syracuse all complain of stations that put out so little power as to be largely unreceivable. I saw some UHF DTs that were under 2KW.

I was able to verify that in some markets, cable providers get a feed via other than OTA reception or provide SV channels instead.

·
Old Guys Rule!
5,053 Posts
Harsh is absolutely right on this one. In Binghamton, NY, the NBC feed is from a low power transmitter, and is impossible to get OTA. The only choice if you want NBC is Time Warner Cable.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
Cholly said:
Harsh is absolutely right on this one. In Binghamton, NY, the NBC feed is from a low power transmitter, and is impossible to get OTA. The only choice if you want NBC is Time Warner Cable.
But, as Shane pointed out, it is "broadcast" even if nobody can pick it up. I was under the illusion that it wasn't aired at all.

·
Hall Of Fame
6,724 Posts
Yes, we do have an NBC station broadcasting here in Binghamton, and it is low power and thus is exempt from the digital FCC mandate (and therefore no HD). The last time I looked it had an ERP of .004 KW.

Also, we have a low power WC station which hopefully will soon be up on a sub-channel of our CBS affiliate even though it also has a low power transmitter. Our MyNetwork station is cable only, yet is on a sub-channel of our Fox affiliate.

Now back to the OP, I'd suggest that he get a standalone HD receiver and use OTA HD until things work out with the DBS companies. The odds for our area to see all networks (including CW and MyNet) in HD via OTA are pretty slim.

·
Beware the Attack Basset
24,446 Posts
jdspencer said:
Yes, we do have an NBC station broadcasting here in Binghamton, and it is low power and thus is exempt from the digital FCC mandate (and therefore no HD). The last time I looked it had an ERP of .004 KW.
According to the FCC database, WBGH is now blazing out at a screaming 161 watts ERP. Even at 54MHz, it still isn't much.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.