DBSTalk Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am buying my in-laws' house, which already has D* SD service. I want to upgrade to HD + DVR service. Will I get a better deal as a NEW customer than as an EXISTING customer that wants to upgrade services? My in-laws are building a new house, and I could remove the existing equipment and re-install it at the new location.

Also, does "free four-room installation" mean they will run the cables for me, or that with my original set-up I can hook up four TVs if I buy the three extra receivers?

I am a rookie, switching from CATV as I move out to the boondocks.

· Registered
2,570 Posts
First you will get a better deal as a new customer. Your in-laws just need to call in to the movers connection. They will set them uo at thier new address so you don't have to move thier dish.

Second 4 room install is standard install only. It does not cover running the wires "in the wall" it will cover running the wires on the outside of the house. They will penetrate through the wall to get the feed. Depending on what you order as a new customer the systen will chose the hardware needed for your setup. If I were you I would be careful to order two HDDVR's and atleast one other reciever if not two. Then maybe the will bring SWM with them. Then no more wires will need to be run

· AllStar
81 Posts
You will always get a better deal being a new customer. Tell them what you want and they will probably come through for you. They already have existing customers locked in. As far as installation, they tech should run all cables and everything for the setup you ordered. Don't accept any short cuts from them. Some techs like to speed through an install getting away with what they can and some are actually there to help you. No matter what problems (if any) you come across getting your Directv installed, the wait is worth it especially if your switching from cable. You have Directv in the palm of your hand being new so get exactly what you want before signing the paperwork. Congrats to you for making the move and welcome.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, I should have the existing equipment GONE when the installer shows up, or will he take their equipment down and put mine up? They have been a customer for over ten years, and, to my knowledge, have not upgraded equipment recently.

priester68 said:
You will always get a better deal being a new customer. Tell them what you want and they will probably come through for you. They already have existing customers locked in. As far as installation, they tech should run all cables and everything for the setup you ordered. Don't accept any short cuts from them. Some techs like to speed through an install getting away with what they can and some are actually there to help you. No matter what problems (if any) you come across getting your Directv installed, the wait is worth it especially if your switching from cable. You have Directv in the palm of your hand being new so get exactly what you want before signing the paperwork. Congrats to you for making the move and welcome.

3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have another question: Can my in-laws also be a "NEW" customer at their new house? I suppose that if the buy all new equipment, they can be new customers, right? Do existing customers get reduced-price equipment upgrades?

· Hall Of Fame
1,675 Posts
gregblum said:
I have another question: Can my in-laws also be a "NEW" customer at their new house? I suppose that if the buy all new equipment, they can be new customers, right? Do existing customers get reduced-price equipment upgrades?
Your in-laws take their receivers when the leave. They leave the dish and anything else behind. Your new customer install will have whats needed to complete the install.

As for your in-laws, unless they switch names and start a new account, no they cant be new. There are perks to being established customers too. Just not quite as good in some cases.

· Godfather
452 Posts
gregblum said:
So, I should have the existing equipment GONE when the installer shows up, or will he take their equipment down and put mine up? They have been a customer for over ten years, and, to my knowledge, have not upgraded equipment recently.
Leave the dish(s) and cabling. What needs to be replaced will be when the tech comes out to do the install.

· Hall Of Fame
8,968 Posts
rahlquist said:
Your in-laws take their receivers when the leave.
To be a little more detailed, they should take to their new home:

- Receivers WITH their SmartCards (you'd be amazed...)
- Remotes
- Cables that run from the sat receivers to the TVs or other AV components
- B-Band Converters for receivers that use them
- RF antennas for receivers that need them for their RF remote

And they need to have all of this, plus ALL of their TVs in place in the new house BEFORE their Mover's Connection is to take place. The first thing the tech is going to do is get the Access Card # and Receiver ID # and verify that they are the receivers on the account, because if they aren't, he doesn't get paid.

I strongly recommend having the MC done 2-3 days AFTER move-in, so that all the furnature is where it is going to be. That way, the installer knows where the receivers will go, and he won't be constantly trying to move around people who are moving boxes and furnature.

The other alternative is to take everything on the list above, including the TVs, to the new house first (make sure the power is on). This assumes that someone (i.e., the wife) knows where everything is going to go.

The idea here is to NOT generate a Service Call because you didn't have your TVs there to get set up, or because the wife wanted to rearrange the furnature, so the receiver was moved and the sat line extended with some Radio Shack RG59 cable and a gold-colored barrel connector. I've even gotten dinged for Service Calls because the customer complained that the sat line was too short (wife rearranged the room) and too long (wife didn't like the coil of extra cable I left so she could rearrange the furnature). As a tech, you can never win.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.