DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All, I'm planning to buy a Dish subscription imminently. However, I see that the current promotions end on July 31st... I was burned twice on Cellular plans by buying before a newer, better, cheaper promotion, and would like to avoid being burned the same way with DBS...

Soooo, the current DHP plan I can get is 3 months free, and $99.00 for activation of (2) 301s, and (1) 501 box. Any idea if this is "improving" next week??

Also, if there was a new "buy" promotion that was a good deal on 3 receivers, I'd strongly consider that as well.

Thanks - these forums are great at enabling customers to make informed buying decisions.

Kevin O

·
Banned
6,968 Posts
I don't know what is on the horizon, but one thing that should factor into your thinking is do you want to own the equipment or do you want to rent the equipment.

If you want to rent then go DHP, if you want to buy then it will cost you more but again you own your equipment.

The choice is yours.

·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Scott. Honestly I don't really care if I own or lease - the real measurement to me is $$/month over a 2-3 year period. When I did that analysis (assisted by people on these boards) DHP looked to come out ahead for (3) receivers.

My concern (which stems from being burned on wireless contracts!) is that things could change dramatically next week with new promotions after the July 31st expiration on the existing ones.

Kevin O

·
Hall Of Fame
7,657 Posts
There are making the promotions better for August and are going to last the rest of the year. Free For All - buy a satellite system for $149 and get free installation and $12.50 a month off of your bill for 12 consecutive months so it is free after the programming credits after 12 months <$150 in credits>. Buy a two receiver system for $199 ($50 off) and get $17 off of your bill a month for 12 months so thats two receivers free after the programming credits <$204 in credits>.

Free Dish, free one receiver system, $50 for second receiver, free install.

DHP, only one free month of programming vs. three, free. 501 upgrade is only $50.

No more three free months of programming, programming credits replace that.

Second receiver for $50 is extended and you get both that deal and the programming credits combined.

Those that have club dish and refer a customer, the customer gets a better deal. Refer a DHP customer and the customer has the $49 fee waived. Refer a free for all or free dish customer and the $50 for second receiver is waived. Customer gets the same benefits for referring a customer.

What has not started yet will start Aug. 01, 2002.

·
Icon
720 Posts
If you want 3 receivers, you almost have to rent. It will take 3 or more years for buying to be cheaper with 3 receivers. That's because you need a quad which has a wholesale cost of $119.

·
Icon
720 Posts
Not before August 1. You get 3 months free of Reg channels and locals. If you take AT100+locals that's worth $159. It will take over 4 years to pay off cost of equipment with the mere $5 savings of not going with DHP. That's not a good investment. However after Aug 1 DHP is not a real good deal. I'll be looking at other options. However it shouldn't take more than 3 years to pay off the upfront costs or loss of savings with the $5 savings of not having DHP.

·
Icon/Supporter
1,227 Posts
Originally posted by jeffwtux
Not before August 1. You get 3 months free of Reg channels and locals. If you take AT100+locals that's worth $159. It will take over 4 years to pay off cost of equipment with the mere $5 savings of not going with DHP. That's not a good investment. However after Aug 1 DHP is not a real good deal. I'll be looking at other options. However it shouldn't take more than 3 years to pay off the upfront costs or loss of savings with the $5 savings of not having DHP.
You're also asuming that the equipment has $0 value. Used equipment can always be sold. That will significantly decrease the break even.

·
Legend
172 Posts
I know someone (a brand NEW customer) who is debating getting a 501, and may want a 301 as well. I have some Club Dish certificates to give them (albeit ones that state expiration at end of July).

What is the best promotion for them if they want to own their equipment? And, will my Club Dish cert still be good for one of these new promos even though it states an expiration date that's passed?

·
Hall Of Fame
1,660 Posts
Originally posted by jegrant
I know someone (a brand NEW customer) who is debating getting a 501, and may want a 301 as well. I have some Club Dish certificates to give them (albeit ones that state expiration at end of July).

What is the best promotion for them if they want to own their equipment? And, will my Club Dish cert still be good for one of these new promos even though it states an expiration date that's passed?
Yes I think I read somewhere around here that Dish Club certificates will get new subs the 2nd receiver for Free with either one of the two purchase promo's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.