DBSTalk Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a new H20-100 installed and have been very disappointed in the speed it takes to change channels. My stop watch tells me that on average it takes 2.5 seconds to switch channels. (Range is 2.1 - 3.6 sec) It seems like eternity when I'm waiting for the channel to load? The D* CSR mentioned that the HR20 is even slower than the H20.

What is considered Fast and what is considered Slow receivers? My other receivers (Hughes, Sony Sat- HD100, D* D11-300) that are 2-4 years old, all take less than 1.5 seconds. I also currently subscribe to digital cable at the Motorola Box that was provided is also faster at (1.8 Sec).

Why is it that I seem to be taking a step back in speed, when compared to the older models?

Thanks!

·
Legend
115 Posts
daytoday said:
I just got a new H20-100 installed and have been very disappointed in the speed it takes to change channels. My stop watch tells me that on average it takes 2.5 seconds to switch channels. (Range is 2.1 - 3.6 sec) It seems like eternity when I'm waiting for the channel to load? The D* CSR mentioned that the HR20 is even slower than the H20.

What is considered Fast and what is considered Slow receivers? My other receivers (Hughes, Sony Sat- HD100, D* D11-300) that are 2-4 years old, all take less than 1.5 seconds. I also currently subscribe to digital cable at the Motorola Box that was provided is also faster at (1.8 Sec).

Why is it that I seem to be taking a step back in speed, when compared to the older models?

Thanks!
You might check to see if your settings are in "NATIVE" mode if so it does take a little while for your receiver to detect what the program is being broadcast in. You can turn it off and it should give you a quicker channel change.

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dbadone said:
You might check to see if your settings are in "NATIVE" mode if so it does take a little while for your receiver to detect what the program is being broadcast in. You can turn it off and it should give you a quicker channel change.
Dbadone,

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked an I'm not using Native. I hope that I do not have to live with this?

Thanks!

·
Cutting Edge: ECHELON '07
9,809 Posts
2-3 seconds is pretty normal for a DVR and that's about what I have on the HR20. It's a bit longer when going to and from an MPEG4 channel.

I don't have a regular H20 but I would think (and I've read) that it's pretty fast going between SD channels or between HD channels. What you might be seeing in a delay is with the MPEG4 locals. Try just changing channels in the 200s and see if it's the same delay. I would think it should only be a second or 2 at most (but then again I don't have that receiver).

·
AllStar
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I checked my locals and stations and about 10 stations in the 200 channel and up range and they all seem slow. My stop watch showed that all of them where over 2 seconds and most of them where closer to 3 seconds.

Oooooh the pain!!! As much as I flip channels, I figure that I'll lose about 10 days of my life waiting on channels to load.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.